Sponsored by:

Opionions about the IPD intake plenums

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
As others have suggested...before you do anything perhaps understand what you have...throwing parts at it without knowing WTF you are doing won't help and is costly. Take Kevin's advice.
I did not know the effect of adding the IPD plenum. This is why I asked this group. Wanted to hear from those who have used it. Don't be mean to me. Just asking for help.

I am always very careful about my mods and spending money. This car is my street car, and as I had said very stock. Not like the 3 race cars we have that I mod on a weekly basis.

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Sambo, No offense intended, but you are debating the value of the iPD plenum and the OP in his first post asks if the IPD plenum is worth it as a FIRST modification while his car is over and under boosting. I would suggest he understand what is wrong with the car...then determine what he ultimately wants from modifications and plan to do modifications that fir that goal. Throwing the IPD plenum as a first mod when his car currently has unknown problems is a bad idea IMHO.
Also, if you were to re-read the posts. I am not looking to correct any problem with the IPD. I actually know how to fix the overboost problem (or at least know what path I need to go down to get there) I only even mentioned the issue because I knew that I needed to be in the same general area and figured it would be a good time to do both.

Because I am looking to offer the product in my store, I would like to have first hand knowledge so that I can offer my own experiences and have and be able to talk about what the installation is like to my customers. maybe with a tune at the same time. Plenum, tune, and stock one at a time to get the effects of each mod.

I will look into a 4 wheel dyno in my area. The dyno guys that I use (and have used on other of my products for back to back comparisons) are only a single drum Dynojet. (Backstreet Dyno in Medina Ohio)

That adds complication because I can not work on the plenum and the boost issue at the same time then, however.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited by 911racer; 02-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:18 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Cheers Ed, sorry for being responsive on that part and avoiding your initial inquiry. Let me know if I can help you with anything. I bet the guys would be willing to support you in any way on trying the product out for yourself. Once the car is fixed of course. For what it's worth here's a little bit more official description pertaining to your car being stock otherwise.

The IPD Plenums are a products of efficiency. The patented “Y” design splits and channels the intake air flow making it less turbulent and more laminar, increasing air velocity which in turn improves boost response, horsepower and torque. Unlike many engine upgrades, the Plenums improve performance throughout both power curves, not just up high or down low. The improve air flow efficiency delivers performance gains with both stock and highly modified Porsches, both turbo and naturally aspirated. You can visit the IPD website and see a ton of dynos and videos that support their products and claims which they fully stand behind with a 100% money back guarantee. This guarantee is there to give potential users confidence even though they might get different opinions they have nothing to lose.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 02-14-2017, 01:38 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Again, if anyone is looking for my opinion...It is well worth the upgrade to do the 74mm TB with the IPD. Yes, on stock turbos.

And yes, I got mine through Sam also.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 911racer
Also, if you were to re-read the posts. I am not looking to correct any problem with the IPD. I actually know how to fix the overboost problem (or at least know what path I need to go down to get there) I only even mentioned the issue because I knew that I needed to be in the same general area and figured it would be a good time to do both.

That adds complication because I can not work on the plenum and the boost issue at the same time then, however.

Thanks
Ed
If your problem is the N75, you aren't going to need to touch the plenum.. Lot more work to get at that. Get it going properly first for a baseline, then add the plenum after.... This way you know for sure an can prove the changes are a result of the plenum, not a result of fixing the problem.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:06 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 917 Likes on 560 Posts

Don't forget to pressure test
Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no doubt about the benefits of pendium as it is highly recommended by different reputable car modification companies
My only worry is that whether it is a very complicated job which needs a high skill standard and if installation work would easily lead to boost leak as our connecting pipes are used over 10+ years
Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

it's a "difficult" install, insofar as the clearance btw the the plenum and the top area of the installed motor can be measured in millimeters. i cant remember exactly as its been a few years but at the very least ( iirc? ) you'll want to loosen the motor mounts in an effort to get any extra fiddling room you can muster. still we needed a hammer to finally smack it into place. its a very tight fit. the good news is it isn't made of the cheap plastic that the oem plenum is so it'll handle some wrangling lol

as to boost leaks after install, they are actually LESS likely given youre messing with and removing the tb/y-pipe and vac lines during install.

you're more than likely going to FIND leaks, rather than actually create them.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx🙏🏽
Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,932 Posts

OK, now I get it.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 296 Posts

I know this isn't the NA forum but does the IPD plenum and a large TB add any hp or torque to the NA 996 engines? My Dad was wondering for his car and since this was such a recent topic of debate here I figured I'd ask...
Old 11-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
I know this isn't the NA forum but does the IPD plenum and a large TB add any hp or torque to the NA 996 engines? My Dad was wondering for his car and since this was such a recent topic of debate here I figured I'd ask...
Do some research on the OEM power kit, X51 package, for his model/engine. That will tell you a lot.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:50 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,850 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Some folks think it is snake oil, others view them as beneficial to NA motors that are hitting stratospheric redlines. I went to the 74mm version because I was having issues with my original TB in that it was no longer opening (closing) the throttle plate as fast as I would dump fuel/air - it would stutter, throw misfire codes, run rich.

Now, it is as smooth as butta! Response is what I expect it to be, no more codes, and although it does seem to 'feel' strong, I will have to get it on a dyno to see what it makes.

I am from the school of thought that thinks a motor is a pump; the faster you can get air in, and exhaust out, the more efficient the motor will run. So far, it seems to be accurate.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:12 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Do some research on the OEM power kit, X51 package, for his model/engine. That will tell you a lot.
So I guess I should've been a bit more specific. His car is a 2001 Boxster S with a 3.4L 996 engine swapped in and he's not necessarily looking to get an IPD plenum and/or GT3 throttle body but we were talking the other day and I told him I'd research if it did anything for his car.

When I researched the "powerkit" available for this engine nothing came up as it apparently wasn't sold here in the states. The most information I found was in this thread and it wasn't overly specific or helpful:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...9-carrera.html

If you've got any tips on where to look I'd appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

-Mike
Old 11-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I am from the school of thought that thinks a motor is a pump; the faster you can get air in, and exhaust out, the more efficient the motor will run. So far, it seems to be accurate.
This makes sense to me as well on NA engines but obviously the turbo engines seem to not have quite the same affect considering the air is being forced into the intake versus being sucked through it under vacuum.

Quick Reply: Opionions about the IPD intake plenums