Sponsored by:

Search for a 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 AM
jeffz993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search for a 996tt

We recently moved from California to Colorado and thinking a turbo being AWD might be a cool weekend car to have. I have considered buying one for past few years while still such a bargain.
I am looking at a 01 with tasteful upgrades including x50 turbos, a fairly low mileage car. I know theses cars are pretty much bullet proof and reliable. My question is at times I'll want to drive it back and forth from Colo. to Calif. a good 2000 mile round trip. Is a car like this too complicated for a long distance road trip car ?
Thanks in advance for thoughts.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most reliable car I've ever owned, and the best road tripper. Passengers won't share the same opinion

Like any car find a solid car to begin with and this is a go anywhere do anything car.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:22 AM
petron5000
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I'd drive it 2,000 mile round trip right now if I had to
Old 02-07-2017, 12:09 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Atrox nailed it..as totally cliché as it is, these are truly every day supercars! Maintenance and keeping everything up to date is key
Old 02-07-2017, 12:11 PM
jeffz993
Advanced

Atrox, why do you say not passengers ?
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffz993
We recently moved from California to Colorado and thinking a turbo being AWD might be a cool weekend car to have. I have considered buying one for past few years while still such a bargain.
I am looking at a 01 with tasteful upgrades including x50 turbos, a fairly low mileage car. I know theses cars are pretty much bullet proof and reliable. My question is at times I'll want to drive it back and forth from Colo. to Calif. a good 2000 mile round trip. Is a car like this too complicated for a long distance road trip car ?
Thanks in advance for thoughts.
In Colorado, or really anywhere, the AWD won't be of much help but the turbo-charging will be a blessing. If I lived in a place like Colorado I would pretty much cosider a turbo-charged car/vehicle a necessity.

I've driven my 2003 Turbo a number of times from northern CA to mid Missouri and back again. That's 2K miles each way or 4K miles round trip.

The car is fine. 'course I stay on top of its servicing and never leave home with the car needing anything. Except once. Had it road worthiness inspected before heading out. Tech told me the rear tires were down to the bars and should be replaced. I thanked him for the info but decided to drive the car back east to Springfield MO Porsche dealer where I was offered a pretty good deal on tires when I was there once before when in that area. Made it as far a Fresno when the right tire picked up some metal and I had to nurse the car back home and then eventually to Sacramento to get a set of tires installed. (No tires available in Fresno, Livermore, or Walnut Creek dealers.)

My Turbo loves the highway, and other roads to be sure. Comfortable in kinds of weather from 0F up to 118F ambient temperature. Even been in the snow with it and on summer tires. *Not* recommended but I wouldn't have a problem driving it in snow with real snow tires fitted.

Fuel mileage varies because of the mountains and such. Generally the car gets around 26mpg on average with a bit less climbing long grades. For instance the stretch of road from say Kingman AZ to Flagstaff AZ climbs from around 2K feet to over 7500 feet -- granted over approx. 140 miles -- and gas mileage drops. But on the way back I can pick up some few mpg so it evens out.

Depending upon which way you go you can face some pretty high passes. You will be amazed at how much pick up and performance the car has. My experience in Wyoming at around just 8K feet was the car was a beast (still) when the boost came on.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Atrox, why do you say not passengers ?

I'll probably take some flak for this, but these cars are are geared obviously to the driver and not the passenger. Yes my daughter can fit in the back, but it's tight and loud. Anything over an hour is unkind. The suspension is tight and you will feel every bump. Sit in the passenger seat of a 996 for a large chunk of time and you will quickly realize without the gas and steering wheel in your control you start to first be sad you are not driving, and second realize creature comforts are few and far between with the 996.

That being said I'll make any excuse up to drive mine.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM
jeffz993
Advanced

Got it, my wife/copilot is used to doing 1200 plus mile Targas with me in our 78-sc or 69 BMW with no a/c so the 996 will be a luxury for her, no problem.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Got it, my wife/copilot is used to doing 1200 plus mile Targas with me in our 78-sc or 69 BMW with no a/c so the 996 will be a luxury for her, no problem.

then you have no excuse, get one. Expect full report and pictures. Happy hunting.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:03 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 722 Likes on 500 Posts

I drive mine from Florida to CT, a little over 2,000 miles round trip in a week. Great car to drive.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:47 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Most reliable car I've ever owned, and the best road tripper. Passengers won't share the same opinion
I've been thinking about a solo trip to CA or CO to visit friends or family just to take it on a longer trip and wouldn't have any hesitation based on reliability. I do hesitate based on my right foot problem and some states unwillingness to let you bail yourself out immediately even if you've got the $ in your wallet. Would hate to have an unexpected overnighter.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've been thinking about a solo trip to CA or CO to visit friends or family just to take it on a longer trip and wouldn't have any hesitation based on reliability. I do hesitate based on my right foot problem and some states unwillingness to let you bail yourself out immediately even if you've got the $ in your wallet. Would hate to have an unexpected overnighter.

radar and or jammer

this car absolutely shines at single lane highway passing. 65 to 100mph in the blink of an eye.

Texas highways are my playground
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atrox
radar and or jammer

this car absolutely shines at single lane highway passing. 65 to 100mph in the blink of an eye.
This is an understatement. I tried once to see how many bars of boost I get a few months ago when the weather was nice. Before I knew it the car is near 100mph, and I only saw 0.6 bar with lots of room left to press on the gas.

Had to stop before I get pulled over for reckless driving!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I do hesitate based on my right foot problem and some states unwillingness to let you bail yourself out immediately even if you've got the $ in your wallet. Would hate to have an unexpected overnighter.
One needs to have as much discipline as possible, and the willingness to accept the hit when they don't.

Soooo many drivers have right foot problems, but if they are armed with a tool like a 996 Turbo (even stock), that responds in such a brutal energy building manner, it's easy to get in a hyper-illegal, and/or dangerous situation in very short order.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM
jeffz993
Advanced

Looks like the car I was eyeballing may have sold, so the search continues. Any input on pros/cons for best year or options, seems like not much different once I
find the right car.

Quick Reply: Search for a 996tt