Sponsored by:

Deal of the century???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Do not get me wrong. I am not saying the fittings do not pop out during street driving. They most surely do. It just that if you are tracking the car a fitting letting go can be potentially deadly while one failing in normal street use is more of an inconvenience rather than life threatening.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Do not get me wrong. I am not saying the fittings do not pop out during street driving. They most surely do. It just that if you are tracking the car a fitting letting go can be potentially deadly while one failing in normal street use is more of an inconvenience rather than life threatening.
Come on now, you should know by now that we only deal in absolutes here

But I agree with this. Track cars need it ASAP, non-track cars also need it but I wouldn't drop the engine with that being the only purpose unless I was really bored/paranoid.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm almost hoping that it's a POS. 2 turbos a 993 and a 914 ain't making the mrs to happy. But if it does check out hopefully I can sell the tip quick.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Very true my second one popped going though Tooele turn at Miller leading the out lap first session of the day. 3 laps later and someone would have flew off that corner in a bad way. Yikes!!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uwrasta
I'm almost hoping that it's a POS. 2 turbos a 993 and a 914 ain't making the mrs to happy. But if it does check out hopefully I can sell the tip quick.
just keep buying them so she looses track.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:32 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Originally Posted by z06801
just keep buying them so she looses track.
She's an accountant. She doesn't lose track of anything. Maybe I should tell her to get a part time job
Old 02-17-2017, 08:55 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts
Smile

She's an accountant. She doesn't lose track of anything. Maybe I should tell her to get a part time job
Just give her your tip!
Old 02-28-2017, 04:22 PM
B-DUB
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious what happened with this car. I see uwrasta's tip turbo is for sale on CL. Did the X50 car check out okay and pass a PPI?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:42 PM
bugeyemilo
Racer

this.

you buy it?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Still waiting. Shop had to get parts from Germany (that's what they said anyway). They are reassembling now. Should be done tomorrow
Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Still waiting. Shop had to get parts from Germany (that's what they said anyway). They are reassembling now. Should be done tomorrow
Did you end up walking away?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Always interesting reading these threads. I've finally figured out a good analogy for these cars and the potential buyers of used vehicles. It's like the stock market. Everyone has a different comfort level of risk they are willing to take (in the stock market, this equates to growth vs value vs blue chip; in used cars- potential issues and their tell signs). since you don't know what lurks underneath the car, some want a pristine example to avoid any potential problems down the road- literally and figuratively. Some have a higher risk tolerance than others and are willing to bet that any red flags are minor and won't have a big effect. Just my observation
Old 03-23-2017, 01:22 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by clsund1
Always interesting reading these threads. I've finally figured out a good analogy for these cars and the potential buyers of used vehicles. It's like the stock market. Everyone has a different comfort level of risk they are willing to take (in the stock market, this equates to growth vs value vs blue chip; in used cars- potential issues and their tell signs). since you don't know what lurks underneath the car, some want a pristine example to avoid any potential problems down the road- literally and figuratively. Some have a higher risk tolerance than others and are willing to bet that any red flags are minor and won't have a big effect. Just my observation
More like you're watching a stock and are surprised to see it open down 5 or 10% on an otherwise up open and you learn the next day when the filings the tape that you were buying stock from the CEO (like an owner with better information than you) and that he was happy to discount the stock to whatever price resulted in a quick sale of his stock.

Some will say that material events would have been disclosed and be happy with that.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:33 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Did you end up walking away?
I imagine it is still in the shop because they replaced the wrong actuators and the problem was not resolved so now they are scratching their heads
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Blah blah blah.
So here's the scoop. Shop that had it originally couldn't finish the job correctly so all warranty work has been transferred to the local porsche dealer. They have it torn apart right now checking to see if the work that was done was done correctly. I actually went to the dealer today. They did a leak down and compression test and that checked out superbly. They are waiting for some parts to reassemble. After that they'll see how it drives. The advisor thinks that the shop just didn't know how to time it correctly cause after they got the engine back in it was making some bad noises. It was towed there last week.

Anyway. I found out the coolant lines are pinned and that the dealer thinks it's in great condition as long as they can properly fix the screw up. It is under warranty so it's all covered and I'd imagine they'll dig as deep as they can to get paid.

Here are some pics of the progress

They'll also replace nearly anything I want replaced for cost of parts since the motor is out. As long as they don't have to dig
We shall see it isn't a done deal yet but I'm hopefully optimistic.
Attached Images             

Quick Reply: Deal of the century???