Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clamshell issue - Any help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:59 PM
Bmarti13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clamshell issue - Any help appreciated!

Hi Everyone,

The weather in Phoenix is perfect for top down driving, and of course, I have an issue with my convertible top.
Here is what is happening:
When I push the 'top down' button, the driver side of the clamshell is functioning as it should, but the passenger side is stuck!
I took it to an Indy and he thinks that the hydraulics are fine, but there is a latch/ hook that is caught on the passenger side that is not releasing. He wasn't 100% sure about this, but he felt like it was firmly locked on that side and that is the best he could guess. He recommended taking it to the dealer.
This started two weeks ago right after I washed the car. Before that, it was working fine.
Before I take it to the dealer and spend God knows how much on parts and labor, do you guys have any suggestions?

Is there some kind of actuator that drives the latch release that is controlled by a fuse or something?
If any of you have had this issue and know about how much this should cost to fix in parts and labor, let me know.
I just want to have as much info as possible if I have to go to the dealership to minimize cost. I hope this isn't a 2000 ++dollar fix!

I have read several posts on similar topics - lever arms, motor issues, hydraulics, but cant find anything that would match what is happening to mine.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

It sounds like the actuator rod on one of your latches has come undone. Read this thread and the one referenced in it for some information, clues etc
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l-problem.html
Old 02-02-2017, 02:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Have you tried to operate the top manually?
Old 02-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Bmarti13
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried to operate the top manually. I have read about recalibration, etc... and didn't want to try much myself until I did more research. But, it may be that I need to try this in order to isolate the problem.

Quick Reply: Clamshell issue - Any help appreciated!