US Spec Turbo in Canada - Steps to Bring Back into US Proceedures

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 12:47 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default US Spec Turbo in Canada - Steps to Bring Back into US Proceedures

Hi All,

As you know I've been looking for a black/black 996 turbo for quite some time (or so it seems like it!) and I've been in contact with a owner for the past month. I'm planning on buying the car if everything checks out and just want to get all my "ducks in a row" so when I fly up there to see the car, all the details taken care of.

So the car is originally a US spec car (originally sold in Florida, then to Georgia, then to Canada)

I will be shipping the car door-to-door and the transportation company assisting me is saying that to bring it through Customs we'll need to have a letter of compliance from Porsche. Does anyone know how to request such letter?

Also, any anyone in Vancouver, if you could recommend a Porsche mechanic in the area for a PPI, that'd be great. When he bought it, he used Calgary Autoworks to do it but he is now located in Vancouver.

I'm pretty sure since it is a US car, it'll be a lot easier to bring back into the US. Once at my house, I should be able to just bring it to get it smogged for registration correct?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:34 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

From my understanding these guys do this on a regular basis - you may want to reach out to them with your questions and maybe even just let them get it in for you.
http://www.tfxinternational.com/
Few things do come to mind...whether or not the car was converted to km etc. and how that effects registration in the US - also Porsche probably deals with this more than you think so i would give them a call and ask about the letter
Old 01-31-2017, 01:42 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by Jferrante
From my understanding these guys do this on a regular basis - you may want to reach out to them with your questions and maybe even just let them get it in for you.
http://www.tfxinternational.com/
Few things do come to mind...whether or not the car was converted to km etc. and how that effects registration in the US - also Porsche probably deals with this more than you think so i would give them a call and ask about the letter
Thanks man. TFX International is the shipping company I am working with.

The car has MPH on the speedo and then he said you can change the digital readout to toggle between whatever you want.

I'll give Porsche a call and go from there.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:54 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Porsche NA in Atlanta can provide compliance letter.
I used TFX to import a U.S. spec 964 from Canada - trucking/logistics was great. But, unfortunately, the broker TFX contracted with to export did not persuade customs that no duty was owed - already paid on original entry from Germany. There are a few threads on this topic elsewhere.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:05 PM
llenrow
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a original us then Canada car year ago. They require front lighting. 6tt has no led so headlights fixed so they are on automatically regardless of switch setting. I actually don't mind. Look for that possibly
Old 01-31-2017, 06:01 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Just called Porsche NA in Atlanta and got the letter of the compliance in motion. Should be in my e-mail within the next couple of days.

I'll speak to TFX in regards to the duty fees. As you said JG 996T, a US spec car should have already incurred the duty fees and therefore we should not have to pay it.

I'll probably make a post on the Canada specific region for PPI suggestions in the region.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:04 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

These cars are pretty much "North America spec" which means they comply with the toughest (US & California) regs.

I have not heard of a running light requirement as llenrow references.

This is a 'best case scenario' as the car was previously registered in the US.

Best to use a Customs Broker, as Canada/US has highly specific paperwork requirements.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:16 PM
HardHitter
Racer

I'm working with that now. I believe the shipping company does all the paperwork for me since they only do transportation between the US/Canada.

Just received the Porsche Letter of Compliance so I'm good with that.

Only concerning thing I'm trying to clarify with the shipping company is the duty fee which they said

"Duty is applied unless it is returning to its original owner in the US. Duty is justified based on where is it manufactured not where it has been registered or titled."

I would have thought since it was originally a US spec'd car, this duty fee is waived.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:33 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

you are going to pay duties - assume that now and you won't be disapppointed.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you planning on going to see this car before you buy it? Do not trust a ppi, they miss stuff all the time. My car looked amazing on paper and in pictures and the ppi from a Porsche dealer reinforced that. But they missed a lot of very expensive repairs that were needed,i.e. clutch, wastegates. The best ppi you can do is to put the car through its paces with you in the passenger seat, then in the drivers seat.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Are you planning on going to see this car before you buy it? Do not trust a ppi, they miss stuff all the time. I got burned by a Porsche dealer in Halifax. They missed a lot of very expensive stuff. Best ppi you can do is to put the car through its paces with you in the passenger seat, then in the drivers seat.
Yes. Will be doing a PPI in the upcoming weeks. Then flying up to Canada at the end of February/beginning of March to see the car in person and then pending nothing major, buying the car.

I would not let a dealership do any PPI. I will be finding a shop who specializes in working with Porsche.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:07 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
Yes. Will be doing a PPI in the upcoming weeks. Then flying up to Canada at the end of February/beginning of March to see the car in person and then pending nothing major, buying the car.

I would not let a dealership do any PPI. I will be finding a shop who specializes in working with Porsche.
That's a wise plan. The best is to have a rennlister or 6speeder check it out with you.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

if you go to the US customs and tarrifs website you can see the regs on bringing in the car without paying tax. If you go there yourself you will not pay tax, since you can show them the DOT sticker on the back of the car. You should photograph this and provide it to the customs broker, if they are doing it for you. You may also want to check with another customs broker.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

TFX (or its broker) is not going to make your case on duty. They're just going to hand over compliance letter, pay duty (2.5% +/-), cross the border, and send you a bill. At least that was my experience just about a year ago to date.

Guys that have re-imported US car themselves have not paid the duty b/c its not due.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by JG 996T
TFX (or its broker) is not going to make your case on duty. They're just going to hand over compliance letter, pay duty (2.5% +/-), cross the border, and send you a bill. At least that was my experience just about a year ago to date.

Guys that have re-imported US car themselves have not paid the duty b/c its not due.
TFX said the following when asked about not needing to pay the duty fee due to it being a US spec car and originally titled in the US:

Yes, it was originally from the US but manufactured overseas.
Unless there is an original US title with the vehicle and it is returning back to its original owner on that title would make the vehicle duty free.

Unfortunately, the fees adding up is starting to push me from the car:

$53K for car
$2.3K for shipping
$1.5K for duty (this is based upon the bill of sale price on the paperwork right?)
$5K in registration/sales tax (would need to pay this regardless of where I buy)

Total Price: $61.8K

Other costs that I'd have to pay to make the car drivable:
$600 for 91 octane tune (has 94 tune currently)
$300 for "smog" (currently catless exhaust)

"Final Price" $62.7K

Doesn't include costs such a PPI, and travel costs (flight/hotel) to Canada

Quick Reply: US Spec Turbo in Canada - Steps to Bring Back into US Proceedures