Sponsored by:

US Spec Turbo in Canada - Steps to Bring Back into US Proceedures

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:52 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
That's a wise plan. The best is to have a rennlister or 6speeder check it out with you.
+1 on this.

Someone not 'emotionally or financially involved' can be your critical set of eyes. I'd rather have the owner of a similar vehicle get a sense of the car rather than a tech who rarely sees them.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:32 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

No 6 turbos available in california for less than $55K?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
No 6 turbos available in california for less than $55K?
What I'm looking for is so specific based upon both a build option list as well as aftermarket mods, that it is already rare to find one. To limit it to California, I'll likely be looking forever.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 PM
NCdog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not drive it back? Way cheaper and easier.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:43 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NCdog
Why not drive it back? Way cheaper and easier.
Drive will be 15-16 hours. Estimate a 3 day trip taking your time

Here are the estimates I threw out:

Hotels: ~$600
Gas: ~$200-$300
Cost = ~$900
If you have a cost to your time, which everyone should, add the "cost" of your 16 hours.

Not saving that much, additionally you have to take this into consideration

1. Car is tuned for 94 octane. 94 isn't offered in the States I'd drive through so you're stuck putting around in the car instead of truly enjoying the open roads until you get a custom tune for your octane gas at home.

2. Wear & tear on the car will eventually add up to some additional refresh maintenance cost (oil change, perhaps plugs, etc.)

3. Weather. To drive back, I'd like hit poor weather conditions (snow, rain, potential hail) and that is really the biggest concern. You could potentially get stranded or even worse do something to the car.

Rather pay the extra money for shipping cost knowing it will avoid the risks above. Additionally, the $2,250 I received the quote for was in Canadian dollars which I didn't know, so about $1,700 for shipping.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:49 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This man has done his homework! Yeah, I would tend to agree. I had visions of flying out and driving home too but in the end shipping is so much easier/safer.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:45 PM
airkewl
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Kirkland (Seattle) and bought a Westfalia from a guy who lived in the Seattle but had it here with Canadian (BC) registration, even though it had originally been sold new in USA. He did have a copy of an expired Washington registration. I went to the Seattle customs office and showed them that, they checked the VIN with whatever online tool they use, and gave me the paperwork to take to Washington State DMV. No fee, no duty. So I think the key is to prove previous US registration. If the owner has the original window sticker it will show port if entry (US) which is even better.

Quick Reply: US Spec Turbo in Canada - Steps to Bring Back into US Proceedures