spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nailedit
Dave,

I am curious to know if it is possible to incorporate the steel posts on the OEM wing into your electric setup?
nope, I've thought about thicker posts, but so far the cost to machine them is prohibitive. The posts with an eRam set are narrower, and about identical to those on my stock 987.2 Cayman S. So Porsche actually moved to them on later gen cars. As Carlo has mentioned... more aerodynamic.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:09 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Cool

Originally Posted by mark_schnell
I was contemplating selling my hydraulic rams after I get the eRams installed, but might just box the hydraulics for the car's next owner. As option (4), it might be possible to find someone with a used set they're willing to sell for less $$$ than option (3)
Hi Mark, if you read through the directions, my recommendation is to store the old busted hydraulic ram system in a waterproof bin. If you ever part with your turbo, you can hand the bin over and say "here are the original hydraulic wing parts so you can go back if you wish". I'd bet a steak dinner that'll never happen. Another key aspect of the eRam system, totally reversible, as there are NO mods involving drilling, filing, bodywork, etc.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
fuse is the most doubtful. the rams have probably simply *lost* enough fluid over time that beyond the spoiler alerts, nothing was noticed. you as i see them the choices depend wholly upon what you or any help you may have, are capable of, and whatever sense of aesthetics you have.

(1) a relatively *simple* rebleed of the system ( which porsche even has docs for ) which has been recounted here many times. ( cheap )

(2) buy daves e'ram kit ( best )

(3) just pay porsche $$ to have a new system installed from a dealer for 2k+. ( incomprehensible )

(4) install a fixed wing kit or spoiler eg gt2/3 etc. ( why not )

them there's yer options. gl w it!

i've stayed with ( cheap ) for years. no complaints.
I checked for a blown fuse but no luck. I'm going to try the cheap route first. Ultimately I'll probably end up going to Dave's kit - I really like how the 4" lift looks.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
I checked for a blown fuse but no luck. I'm going to try the cheap route first. Ultimately I'll probably end up going to Dave's kit - I really like how the 4" lift looks.
thats what i would do, but mine continue to work as they should. I've repeated the process twice in 6.5 years. i'm not gonna rip out a working system. but i would opt for the 4" lift kit also for a more permanent solution.

just another fyi..the "re-bleed" isn't some "home fix-it solution" either. porsche has docs and pictographs on the procedure.

it's just that factory porsche techs can't ( or wont bother..) to even try it. so porsche used to replace the entire assembly upon warranty failures. try it, if it doesn't work. dave's a post away.. lol
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

I had my first Porsche dealer customer a few weeks ago. Man was that rewarding! I even posted it on my FB page I was so excited! The tech was impressed and sent me a note...
Old 04-05-2017, 01:00 AM
PaleAle
Racer

I'm going to try the manual fix this weekend. Before I do I'd like to make sure that the unit will respond.

1) It will not raise
2) I hear no noise when I push the manual button
3) No error code
4) No visible leak

Is my situation common?
Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

There are at least a dozen things that can and do go wrong with the factory mechanism. You might have a combination of things which really gets tough to diagnose and fix. Pop it out of the car set it up on a workbench and run through the bleed and fill routine. You can use a good battery charger to power it both ways. I had one that burned up the motor guts from overheating. Sounds like that might be a possibility for you.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM
PaleAle
Racer

Found the problem. There is a cylindrical unit that is wired to the passenger side which I assume is the micro switch. It was hanging loose and was not fully snapped in place. Now I get the dreaded alert but at least it's moving again. I'm going to zip tie the unit in place and hopefully be done with it (for a while).

Sorry Dave, a tune just moved up 1 spot on my wish list. :-)
Old 04-07-2017, 07:27 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation

Originally Posted by PaleAle
Found the problem. There is a cylindrical unit that is wired to the passenger side which I assume is the micro switch. It was hanging loose and was not fully snapped in place. Now I get the dreaded alert but at least it's moving again. I'm going to zip tie the unit in place and hopefully be done with it (for a while).

Sorry Dave, a tune just moved up 1 spot on my wish list. :-)
guessing it's been this way since you bought it? I'd guess the microswitches were messed with to stop the warning by a prior owner.

Odd that it didn't work at all without the microswitch in place. It should have, of course with the dreaded Spoiler Failure Control every time.

Quick Reply: spoiler