Coolant Pinning Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:17 PM
centexsi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant Pinning Advice Needed

Hello all,

I have the engine out of my car and have started pinning my coolant lines using several of the posts here on Rennlist. I bought stainless steel M4x1.0 hex head screws and Loctite 271. I practiced on a scrap piece of aluminum and everything went great, so I started drilling. I got the first four easy access spots pinned. Like an idiot, I didn't read the instructions on the Loctite and I applied to the threads and screwed them in. I checked on it today and saw that the Loctite was still liquid and realized they recommend an activator be sprayed on first which I didn't do.

My question is this to anyone who has done this - is the activator/cleaner required? Should I take the screws out I've already installed, clean, apply the activator/cleaner and redo each one? Its not really a whole lot of work to do that but I'd rather not unless I need to.

Also would like a definitive answer as to how many pipes need to be pinned on a 996 Turbo engine. I can see 6, but I've read there are 7-8 of them. Want to make sure I get them all. Most of the DIY's and such I've seen have been on the GT3 or 997 engines.

Thanks in advance for any help on this guys!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:37 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

271 doesn't require an activator...it's probably already cured and good to go now
yes there are 8 fittings to be pinned, 6 on the left side, 2 on the right (near oil cooler and power steering pump)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM
centexsi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993GT
271 doesn't require an activator...it's probably already cured and good to go now
yes there are 8 fittings to be pinned, 6 on the left side, 2 on the right (near oil cooler and power steering pump)
Thank you for the info. I will let it be with the Loctite - the instructions said "recommended" on aluminum and just wanted to be sure. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be just fine with the Loctite.

-Jason
Old 01-25-2017, 08:07 AM
mxracer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loctite cures in the absence of air between two parts (anaerobic environment). What you are seeing in the open air (uncured) is not whats happening in the thread pocket. You are good to go. I have used 271 (and others) on aluminum, steel, stainless, magnesium, etc without issue and have never used an activator. If you want to test it try removing the screw from your test piece.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:18 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by mxracer
If you want to test it try removing the screw from your test piece.

Quick Reply: Coolant Pinning Advice Needed