Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advantage of entire AWD removal vs just the driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Advantage of entire AWD removal vs just the driveshaft?

I know the right way to do it is to remove the front axle shafts and differential along with the driveshaft... and I get that there will be less rotating mass so that will help the way the car feels... but how much better is it than just removing the driveshaft going to the front differential?

Thanks.

-Mag
Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

The weight reduction results in noticeably better steering/handling feel.

I have a set of stub axles that will work with stock turbo uprights if you or someone wants to keep their front axles in tact and go a little further than just pulling the driveshaft.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Yes, it is all about the weight.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:51 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

its also about the resistance of the front axles into the front diff. even though the cardon shaft is removed the wheels are still turning the axles thru the fluid. remove everything and dont look back. i will also suggest you install a lsd (wavetrac is a great alternative to the guard unit for about 1200$) since you are running a open diff in the turbo
Old 01-19-2017, 09:19 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

good points all. i think though, that whether or not the entire "conversion" is truly *necessary* in order that one fully enjoy the benefits of running rwd, i believe, has more to do with how and in what conditions one primarily chooses to drive. for high-speed road course driving, i'd venture that altering the geometry with ( eg ) gt3 uprights/bits etc, and *properly* addressing the fact that the turbo isn't "set-up" for rwd, per se would be far more important, even yes, *necessary*.

but for those such as myself, that limit most of their driving to canyon shenanigans; all at ( mostly lol ) speeds under trip digits, i would bet that anyone with a properly setup rwd config would find very little lacking in the handling/geometry department, even if the diff is still connected, as is mine.

one reason i opted to keep it hanging there, is i run without the donut in front.. and to be perfectly honest, i have more than enough power to the wheels for what i do, so leaving that ballast up front ( the extra 60lbs? ) is really a choice, cumbersome perhaps, but not a hindrance. it's easy enough to wag the tail as is.

as steve mentioned as another convert to the w'trac, the most crucial aspect of any rwd config is eliminating the open differential situation. since i knew this going in, i simply installed the wavetrac to eliminate that godawful one wheel drive scenario. since having done so, the car has delivered to me anything i might possibly ask of it in terms of predictability, which i would add is significantly lacking in the awd configuration, let alone open diff! at least, it is for me. much of that is compounded of course by the nanny aids, but i do at least use the dash button. one day i'll get around to the psm pump and pull the damn plug, per pwdrhounds learned example lol

i'm ramblin on here, but..just don't do any of it without an lsd of one type or another. any non believers, just go try and throttle steer around some corners with just the cardan removed and have fun playing the "spin the unloaded wheel" game! you'll see the importance of an lsd. hah.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I yanked my driveshaft last weekend while replacing rear shocks. Left the front diff and axles in place. I'm not really sure why but there was a significant vibration, and I couldn't tell if it was front or rear. Put the driveshaft back in and it's smooth as butter.

Maybe someone else can comment but I believe the front bits vibrate when not connected to the rear.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mark, I'm sure you have answered this before but did you disconnect the main drive shaft and leave the front diff + axles/shafts connected? Or do you only have the front diff still installed and no driveshafts at all up front with stub axles?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
good points all. i think though, that whether or not the entire "conversion" is truly *necessary* in order that one fully enjoy the benefits of running rwd, i believe, has more to do with how and in what conditions one primarily chooses to drive. for high-speed road course driving, i'd venture that altering the geometry with ( eg ) gt3 uprights/bits etc, and *properly* addressing the fact that the turbo isn't "set-up" for rwd, per se would be far more important, even yes, *necessary*.

but for those such as myself, that limit most of their driving to canyon shenanigans; all at ( mostly lol ) speeds under trip digits, i would bet that anyone with a properly setup rwd config would find very little lacking in the handling/geometry department, even if the diff is still connected, as is mine.

one reason i opted to keep it hanging there, is i run without the donut in front.. and to be perfectly honest, i have more than enough power to the wheels for what i do, so leaving that ballast up front ( the extra 60lbs? ) is really a choice, cumbersome perhaps, but not a hindrance. it's easy enough to wag the tail as is.

as steve mentioned as another convert to the w'trac, the most crucial aspect of any rwd config is eliminating the open differential situation. since i knew this going in, i simply installed the wavetrac to eliminate that godawful one wheel drive scenario. since having done so, the car has delivered to me anything i might possibly ask of it in terms of predictability, which i would add is significantly lacking in the awd configuration, let alone open diff! at least, it is for me. much of that is compounded of course by the nanny aids, but i do at least use the dash button. one day i'll get around to the psm pump and pull the damn plug, per pwdrhounds learned example lol

i'm ramblin on here, but..just don't do any of it without an lsd of one type or another. any non believers, just go try and throttle steer around some corners with just the cardan removed and have fun playing the "spin the unloaded wheel" game! you'll see the importance of an lsd. hah.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

no axles are the same. just pulled the cardan and installed the wavetrac. funnily enough, as ive mentioned many times, i have at my disposal all the gt3 bits needed to fully finish the conversion incl the coliovers stubbed axles etc.

i just can't reason why. i'm perfectly happy as it is...

and to jonesr' query, there is NO vibration from the front or anywhere for simply having removed the cardan. just a cricket in my headliner lol
Old 06-21-2017, 12:00 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

This is a project I am doing with my C4S. Does anyone have a long-term report on this?
I see 02996ttx50 won't be chiming in.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:32 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

the weight is good weight, between the axles and towards the front...but it is weight...rotational drag is a bigger issue...
Old 06-21-2017, 03:26 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
This is a project I am doing with my C4S. Does anyone have a long-term report on this?
I see 02996ttx50 won't be chiming in.
​​​​​​if you're going 2wd, do it right And ditch the diff and axles. Steering feel is worth it. I have a pair of stub axles available if you want them pm.me

Quick Reply: Advantage of entire AWD removal vs just the driveshaft?