Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber upper defrost trim cracked, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carbon fiber upper defrost trim cracked, ideas?

Hey everyone,

I have 2 carbon fiber defrost rims directly next to the windshield (they look like 2 hockey sticks). One of the them cracked a few months ago when I tried to apply adhesive and tape, IIRC I pushed too hard on the carbon fiber to get it in place. The other side has a slight crack as well.

Been thinking of replacing these. Sunset Porsche has these at $850 a piece! Ugh... No way I'm going to spend $1700 for 2 pieces of elective trim.

Then I found these today: https://directcartrim.com/1999-2004-...-trim-set.html

Has anyone tried those from directcartrim.com?

Other thought I had in mind was to just remove the 2 defroster trims and leave it at that. Would this look "weird" and not OEM?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Replace with db Carbon, much better than OEM. Replacing with leather looks good too.
All the OEM cf sucks.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
602996TT
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Hey everyone,

I have 2 carbon fiber defrost rims directly next to the windshield (they look like 2 hockey sticks). One of the them cracked a few months ago when I tried to apply adhesive and tape, IIRC I pushed too hard on the carbon fiber to get it in place. The other side has a slight crack as well.

Been thinking of replacing these. Sunset Porsche has these at $850 a piece! Ugh... No way I'm going to spend $1700 for 2 pieces of elective trim.

Then I found these today: https://directcartrim.com/1999-2004-...-trim-set.html

Has anyone tried those from directcartrim.com?

Other thought I had in mind was to just remove the 2 defroster trims and leave it at that. Would this look "weird" and not OEM?
Another affordable option is to take it to a custom automotive upholstery shop. I also have some cracking on my oem carbon fiber and a shop local to me suggested I have him remove my carbon fiber and he will sand/seal with black piano paint finish for clean look which I may do in the future.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:57 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Replace with db Carbon, much better than OEM. Replacing with leather looks good too.
All the OEM cf sucks.
What is db Carbon? Leather sounds like a good idea too. A quick scour off ebay however shows no matching leather defrost trims against my gray interior... Is there a site that sells such item?

Originally Posted by 602996TT
Another affordable option is to take it to a custom automotive upholstery shop. I also have some cracking on my oem carbon fiber and a shop local to me suggested I have him remove my carbon fiber and he will sand/seal with black piano paint finish for clean look which I may do in the future.
Another good thought. I have quite a bit of carbon fiber in my car's interior. The driver/passenger side vents also have a CF trim. Your suggestion of sanding it to a black finish leads me to suggest that I can probably just remove the defrost trims and clean off the bonding adhesive I mistakenly applied, since as I recall the surface beneath the trim is black. Then again, it wouldn't be flush against the side vents... ugh.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:12 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Here is the website http://www.dbcarbon.com/
Old 01-20-2017, 02:42 AM
602996TT
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah the shop said they would remove sand and re-bond any places needed. I got a quote for $700 to re-do my steering wheel, shifter, gauge cluster, parking brake, center dash, door handles color matched to basalt black in piano finish.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dallas custom upholstery I believe is the name, they do a lot of custom Porsche leather work. Suncoast Porsche also has a once a yr leather sale. Classic 9 and Exclusive Option are two others.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber upper defrost trim cracked, ideas?