Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best value of water cooled turbos (from 997 TT forum)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The best value of water cooled turbos (from 997 TT forum)

I think Adam has had too much of whatever it is he's drinking during his "analysis on best value"...HERE

What do you think??
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting video and I can see the author did a good bit of research. Really interesting to see the curves he came up with and how history seems to repeat itself for the most part. I do disagree with a few of the points he made though.

He mentions that 997.1 Turbo is end of era and it is the last of the water cooled Turbo Mezgers but I think just as significant if not more so is 996 Turbo is the first water cooled Mezger powered 911 Turbo. Heck, my 996TT engine tag still starts with 964 part number for heavens sake...lol

Also, he mentions that 996 Turbo was never popular!? I'm pretty sure that every magazine article/reviews from early-mid 2000's (when these cars came out) gave 996 Turbo stellar reviews and the cars sold like crazy. Not sure on production numbers of 996 Turbo VS 997.1 Turbo, maybe someone has those numbers.

Screen shot of video (hopefully author does not mind/if yes let me know and I will delete)--
Name:  video_zps3yijquig.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  57.9 KB

Runny Egg Headlights?? - 996 Turbo has the revised and to my eye much nicer headlights than the earlier non-Turbo 996 cars. 996 Turbo headlights were never shared with Boxster. (I will say that even the real runny egg head lights are beginning to grow on me thanks to a few early 996 GT3's I have looked at).

996 is first mass produced 911?... 997 is second mass produced 911

996 has water cooled engine...997 also has water cooled engine

Anyway just my .02 ... Cool video and everything is pure speculation anyway so
Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 AM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

997 Turbo are a good value for money, as long as you have an extra $30k to spend..
Old 01-18-2017, 01:16 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

996tt is a no excuses, no apologies car. Based on the screenshot above, I'm not even going to waste my time going over to that thread to see it.

Well, I might go and post a boobies pic. That would be good.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
He mentions that 997.1 Turbo is end of era and it is the last of the water cooled Turbo Mezgers but I think just as significant if not more so is 996 Turbo is the first water cooled Mezger powered 911 Turbo. Heck, my 996TT engine tag still starts with 964 part number for heavens sake...lol

Also, he mentions that 996 Turbo was never popular!? I'm pretty sure that every magazine article/reviews from early-mid 2000's (when these cars came out) gave 996 Turbo stellar reviews and the cars sold like crazy. Not sure on production numbers of 996 Turbo VS 997.1 Turbo, maybe someone has those numbers.

Runny Egg Headlights?? - 996 Turbo has the revised and to my eye much nicer headlights than the earlier non-Turbo 996 cars. 996 Turbo headlights were never shared with Boxster. (I will say that even the real runny egg head lights are beginning to grow on me thanks to a few early 996 GT3's I have looked at).

996 is first mass produced 911?... 997 is second mass produced 911

996 has water cooled engine...997 also has water cooled engine

Anyway just my .02 ... Cool video and everything is pure speculation anyway so
His arguments are garbage. Cheap interior? Did you notice how FAST that slide you show went by?? The only info one can get from his "analysis" is that the models are depreciating about the same. If he believes spending $20K more for a freshened console and headlights and VVT makes the 997TT the best value, he is way off the mark. The BEST VALUE is the 996 TT still.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:08 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Meh, I am fine with our little "Best Value Secret" when it comes to those who raise their nose at the 996 (need to buy a couple more before others catch on ) I was in high school when the 996 Turbo came out and reading all the magazines on its power, handling tune ability. Even remember seeing the first one fly by me out side of the GW bridge in 2005, modified and trucking along like a SOB! The old Gumball 3000 clips of 996 Turbos just pure speed and power seemed like titans among all of the exotics.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:19 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He lost me by speculating that the depreciation curve of the 997 would be different than the 996 based on a variety of highly subjective claims about vehicle appearance.

The 996 remains much closer to actual appreciation, whereas 997 will continue to see depreciation for several more years.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:58 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Nzo
997 Turbo are a good value for money, as long as you have an extra $30k to spend..
This is pretty accurate, though the spread between the 6TT and 7TT is decreasing and IMHO is perhaps closer to $20-25K.

6TT's are definitely moving up in price, and have been for the past year or so, and 7TT's are moving down in price, or at least have been up to this point.

It's becoming extremely hard (impossible?) to find even a semi-decent 6TT for under $40K unless you start looking at cars with accident damage, super high miles, or a laundry list of issues that need to be addressed day one. Most decent mid-mile, no-major-issue examples are $45K plus, even if you are willing to ship one in from an opposite coast. Creampuffs, local, and low mileage cars easily top $50K.

By contrast, it's pretty easy to find really nice, a no-issue 7.1TT with a $65-70K budget, and decent cars dip down as low as $55K (see classifieds for a recent example)

Note: I'm excluding Tiptronics from my price opinion on both 6TT's and 7.1TT's ... It's much easier to find good deals on tips, but I personally have zero interest in a tip turbo.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gophaster
Funny thing about these 996s' "egg headlights" is that the headlights on the new 991/Cayman/Boxster/Panny are looking more and more "fried and runny" to me.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 PM
gophaster
Pro

Yup, I agree totally... that's exactly why I made the screen shot. It actually kind of shocked me to hear these "issues" again... Just when I thought that in general folks could separate standard 996 "issues" from 996 Turbo here we are again with the non round headlights, interior, etc...Oh well, I still love discussing these cars (any cars for that matter, lol) so I'll give credit for the effort he put into the video It just feels like a backwards step VS what actually seems to be going on.

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Did you notice how FAST that slide you show went by??

Really good points The graphs to me were the most interesting and seeing the same basic curves for all 3 generations. I'd be curious to see how these three curves look next to some of the older generations, 930 would interest me most as I have understood those also languished at the bottom for a long time.

Originally Posted by pfbz
This is pretty accurate, though the spread between the 6TT and 7TT is decreasing and IMHO is perhaps closer to $20-25K.

6TT's are definitely moving up in price, and have been for the past year or so, and 7TT's are moving down in price, or at least have been up to this point.

It's becoming extremely hard (impossible?) to find even a semi-decent 6TT for under $40K unless you start looking at cars with significant accident damage, super high miles, or a laundry list of issues that need to be addressed day one. Most decent mid-mile, no-major-issue examples are $45K plus. Creampuffs and low mileage cars easily top $50K.

By contrast, it's pretty easy to find really nice, a no-issue 7.1TT with a $65-70K budget, and decent cars dip down as low as $55K (see classifieds for a recent example)

Note: I'm excluding Tiptronics from my price opinion on both 6TT's and 7.1TT's ... It's much easier to find good deals on tips, but I personally have zero interest in a tip turbo.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:15 PM
gophaster
Pro

Exactly, it seems that the evolution of the cars mostly I think for safety/function/laws is requiring more and more "real estate" for the lighting so ever so slowly the headlights are going from round/circles to stretched out oval-ish headlights.

Originally Posted by docboy
Funny thing about these 996s' "egg headlights" is that the headlights on the new 991/Cayman/Boxster/Panny are looking more and more "fried and runny" to me.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Hosewater2
.....The 996 remains much closer to actual appreciation, whereas 997 will continue to see depreciation for several more years.
I agree the 997.1 Turbos are not anywhere near the bottom of their depreciation curve right now.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
right?! awful.

i watched that vid, and find no issue with it. it seems balanced and thoughtful to me. those that cannot differentiate btw the early 99/00 c2/boxter headlamps and ours, are not looking at them closely enough. the 996 turbo headlamps will be classic. some day lol
Old 01-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

He basically listed everything that applies to the 997.1 Turbo, except for the headlights. LoL

Yeah I'm gone go cry in my 996 now, later.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
It's much easier to find good deals on tips, but I personally have zero interest in a tip turbo.
Tip is best of both worlds. Made a nightmarish two and a half hour commute this morning of 21 miles a non-event versus having to non-stop operate a clutch to inch along. Been there, done that. Am over it. And when the roads are clear, goes as fast as the old-school manual transmission 6TTs. IMHO, there's just nothing not to like about a Tip 6TT.

Quick Reply: The best value of water cooled turbos (from 997 TT forum)