Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i stand there while my diminutive friend crawls underneath my car to replace stuff. can't be much easier than that!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
Fnic99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does IC stand for?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 296 Posts

Intercooler
Old 01-18-2017, 12:04 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I say if it's your 1st time. Take the bumper and intercoolers off. It takes very little time and you'll get to know your car a little better. I am in the process of changing out exhaust and it's been a lot of fun (but that's just me). My take is replace the plugs and coils while you are in there. If you take off bumper and intercoolers it's a 2 on a 10 scale of difficulty. Also take out the air filter. It will make getting the o2 sensors back in the clips a breeze and that only takes about 2 minutes.
My take from a person who has next to no mechanical experience but found the job relatively easy taking everything off. Who knows maybe I'll have bolts left over when done but I doubt it. It's all pretty insightful once you start tearing it apart.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Fnic99
Racer

Originally Posted by uwrasta
I say if it's your 1st time. Take the bumper and intercoolers off. It takes very little time and you'll get to know your car a little better. I am in the process of changing out exhaust and it's been a lot of fun (but that's just me). My take is replace the plugs and coils while you are in there. If you take off bumper and intercoolers it's a 2 on a 10 scale of difficulty. Also take out the air filter. It will make getting the o2 sensors back in the clips a breeze and that only takes about 2 minutes. My take from a person who has next to no mechanical experience but found the job relatively easy taking everything off. Who knows maybe I'll have bolts left over when done but I doubt it. It's all pretty insightful once you start tearing it apart.
Thanks for the tips. I have done some work on my 928 but haven't touched the 911 yet (just got it). I will try swapping exhausts this weekend. Hopefully I have all the screws and nuts that I need.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:20 PM
uwrasta
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fnic99
Thanks for the tips. I have done some work on my 928 but haven't touched the 911 yet (just got it). I will try swapping exhausts this weekend. Hopefully I have all the screws and nuts that I need.
You should be fine. Just go slow and have something supporting the exhaust. Start soaking the bolts now just to be sure. Mine were really easy to get off but I know others have had a lot of trouble. As for the straps you are on your own. I was able to get both sides free of the turbo studs then went to work on the straps. I wouldn't dick around with the straps till you get the cats away from the studs. I think you'll see what I'm talking about. As I said just support it. I used a floor jack and the cross brace from harbor freight. And make sure you don't over torque anything when you start putting things together. I broke off a heat shield bolt that goes over the coils and stripped the threads trying to get it out. Tonight I'll tap new threads. I like how a 2 minute job (reinstalling heat shield) has turned into a 3 hour job. All in good fun!!! Just take your time and you'll be good. Just message me if you have any questions. I doubt I'll have the answers but I'm a good investigator. And I have the factory repair manual so I am good on torque values. Suggestion is to put a piece of tape over the side of the torque wrench that you aren't using whether it's lbs or metric so you don't get them confused. Last week I over torqued cause I was looking at the wrong side. Hope that makes sense. Not a very good pic of the brace but just go to harbor freight website and it will clear it up if unclear.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by uwrasta
I say if it's your 1st time. Take the bumper and intercoolers off. It takes very little time and you'll get to know your car a little better. I am in the process of changing out exhaust and it's been a lot of fun (but that's just me). My take is replace the plugs and coils while you are in there. If you take off bumper and intercoolers it's a 2 on a 10 scale of difficulty. Also take out the air filter. It will make getting the o2 sensors back in the clips a breeze and that only takes about 2 minutes.
My take from a person who has next to no mechanical experience but found the job relatively easy taking everything off. Who knows maybe I'll have bolts left over when done but I doubt it. It's all pretty insightful once you start tearing it apart.
I agree, I would also suggest to pull the bumper and IC's. It really is not difficult at all and you might as well get used to taking it off plus you can have a nice look at the belly of the beast! (I believe there is a DIY with pics for easy bumper removal)

I have a nice and heavy duty drop cloth that I placed under the rear of the car so that I can set the bumper down onto it and I also like using lots of blue tape (just in case)!

Name:  P1143639_zps7qopujqr.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  223.6 KB

Here you can see my assistant (mechanics chair with towel over it). Stock exhaust is all 1 piece and it's heavy. You need something to rest it on.

Name:  P1163732_zpsgjvvdtnv.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  444.2 KB

Great chance to change out plugs and coil packs if needed also

Name:  P1153694_zps046zmc3c.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  222.7 KB
Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Fnic99
Racer

Thanks for the help. Will try to start this weekend. Btw- have the same jack. It was a good buy from Costco. Thanks again,
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Fnic99
Racer

Done. Took me a few hours but not a bad job at all. Heat shields and everything else appear to be in great shape. Thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Swap