Sponsored by:

Which brake rotors to install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Which brake rotors to install?

It's time for new rotors on my 03. I use the car primarily on the street with 2-3 autocross days and 1 track day per year. I was looking at pelicanparts and there are so many options from Porsche, Sebro (cross drilled, slotted and sport slotted), ate, Brembo and Zimmerman. As to pads, I'm going with new Porsche pads all around. So which rotors are you running or recommend?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

try the sebro slotted only rotors. well made priced right and for street use hard to beat. as for pads i would use endless pads as the oem just dust way to much and not really up to any track use
Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Porsche doesn't make brake pads. What you are buying are Textar or Pagid made pads in a box that says Porsche on it with Porsche tax added on. Save yourself some money and buy OEM spec pads in a Textar or Pagid box. If you want better than OEM pick up some PFC 11 pads from ApexPerformance.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item2

As for rotors I use ATE from Pelican Parts. They are the least expensive but they have held up on track for me as well if not better than Zimmerman or Sebro.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item16
Old 01-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
try the sebro slotted only rotors. well made priced right and for street use hard to beat. as for pads i would use endless pads as the oem just dust way to much and not really up to any track use
Where do you buy the Sebro slotted for the front?

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 01-08-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Sebro slotted are on pelican and they have both front and rear slotted and coated rotors. I was thinking of trying them as well I read good things about them in the 996 forum. I'm guessing these would be a good choice as mentioned above?

Carlos, what pagid or textar pads are OEM spec? There's a few variations on pelican.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Brig993

what pagid or textar pads are OEM spec? There's a few variations on pelican.
if you're primarliy street driving? then why not stay with the ate rotors. they are an oem supplier and very inexpensive. not sure why a primarliy driven street car needs the sebro slotted rotors. the cross drilled oems are more than suffucient for daily use, but it's your money.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item16

here are the textars i use. same as oem..and cheap lol

Old 01-08-2017, 07:05 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Yes, I see the appeal of that set up. Good and cost effective. thank you! Sebro slotted aren't a big jump in price but I doubt I'll see the benefits of the slotted rotors based on my use.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

agree, and not that you need any convincing lol. but here's a bit of info from sharkwerks which would tend to suggest that the regular 'ol drilled rotors might(?) well as you say, suit your usage best.

Cross Drilled Rotors:
•Cross drilled discs run at slightly lower temperatures due to added air flow through the surface of the disc where heat is generated.
•They are also highly effective in wet conditions and shedding debris from the disc to ensure a clean braking surface.
•Improve pad “bite”, improve wet weather performance, continuously refresh the brake pad

Slotted Discs:
•Slotted discs are recommended when using race pad materials or compounds. the vehicle is submitted to extreme braking duties such as towing or hauling heavy loads.
•Improve pad “bite”, improve wet weather performance, continuously refresh the brake pad

dont forget to bed in the new stuff and here's to no damn squealin'! cheers.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brig993
Sebro slotted are on pelican and they have both front and rear slotted and coated rotors. I was thinking of trying them as well I read good things about them in the 996 forum. I'm guessing these would be a good choice as mentioned above?

Carlos, what pagid or textar pads are OEM spec? There's a few variations on pelican.
Thanks for the heads up on the now available slotted Sebro front rotors at Pelican. They used to only have rears.

Front and rear Textar OEM pads on this page.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:55 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I've used the Serbo slotted with good luck and would go for those with textar pads and some fresh fluid.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

TRW is the OEM for 996...Textar/Pagid also excellent and OEM for aircooled's
Sebro or Zimmerman for the discs
Old 01-09-2017, 02:25 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

I had a strange experience with the Sebro slotted rotors. It seems my Pagid RS29 (yellow) pads, for lack of a better term, melted/fused a thick layer of pad material onto the rotor. The Pagids wore halfway (and since they are only good down to about halfway,
were toast) through a set of new pads in one track day! Several hundred miles of street driving did not dislodge the material, and nothing short of a chisel will remove it.

I don't know if there were other variables at play, but I never had that problem with the normal style drilled rotors before or after. I wonder if the Sebros didn't dissipate heat as well. Where the aforementioned pad material isn't covering it up, the Sebros were also looking pretty cracked after just a couple track days.

I don't want to turn you off as others have had good luck with them, but I have gone back to the regular style rotors (and also switched to PFC pads for the track).
Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

slotted discs can/do run the hottest of all...no ventilation and the slots 'eliminate' pad green fade and allow them to go longer...air ducting/cooling is very critical
PFC pads rock!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:31 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
I had a strange experience with the Sebro slotted rotors. It seems my Pagid RS29 (yellow) pads, for lack of a better term, melted/fused a thick layer of pad material onto the rotor. The Pagids wore halfway (and since they are only good down to about halfway,
were toast) through a set of new pads in one track day! Several hundred miles of street driving did not dislodge the material, and nothing short of a chisel will remove it.

I don't know if there were other variables at play, but I never had that problem with the normal style drilled rotors before or after. I wonder if the Sebros didn't dissipate heat as well. Where the aforementioned pad material isn't covering it up, the Sebros were also looking pretty cracked after just a couple track days.

I don't want to turn you off as others have had good luck with them, but I have gone back to the regular style rotors (and also switched to PFC pads for the track).
Thanks for the data point. Does seem odd though. Sebros have been good to me and my RS29s last an age. Been running OE sized Sebro slotteds with RS19s/RS29s ever since my factory slotteds died after the first couple of track days. How long were your sessions? Were you tracking it hard with PSM enabled? Else maybe a problem with the brakes or cooling ducts? Perhaps something like pitted slider pins not allowing the pads to retract away from the rotors?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:25 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Thanks for the data point. Does seem odd though. Sebros have been good to me and my RS29s last an age. Been running OE sized Sebro slotteds with RS19s/RS29s ever since my factory slotteds died after the first couple of track days. How long were your sessions? Were you tracking it hard with PSM enabled? Else maybe a problem with the brakes or cooling ducts? Perhaps something like pitted slider pins not allowing the pads to retract away from the rotors?
All good thoughts. 25 min sessions, no heavy psm as I recall. The brakes worked fine afterwards. I did rebuild calipers later, and they seemed fine other than the dust boots obviously burned up. I have the big gt2 ducts. It could have been a bum set of pads as I got several days from a previous set. I've since switched to pfc pads and got titanium shields as well.

Quick Reply: Which brake rotors to install?