Thunderhill track advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by PaleAle
Is Motul 600 recommended for track use as well?
Yes, "RBF" means racing brake fluid. But unless you change it often like on a dedicated track car, I would not use it. To trust it I'd need to flush (not bleed) it before each track event. Ate200 is a great fluid for street cars and even race cars. In over 20 years of club racing various 911's, I've personally never had an issue with Ate200, but I've had issues with RBF as it goes "bad" too quickly. The slight temperature cushion Motul600 gives you can likely be compensated for by better braking technique and good pads! With your heavy car with stock brake pads, your brake pads will likely fade out giving you a soft pedal after each run regardless of the fluid you use.

Not sure what it's worth, but I'd flush the brakes with new fluid (OEM or ATE200) if it hasn't been done very recently, make sure your lugs are tight, tires are good, tank is full and go have fun. If this is going to become a habit in the future, I'd swap in and out race pads for track events (PFC11's are my favorite).
Old 01-21-2017, 05:20 AM
PaleAle
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Thunderhill was quite an adventure as my first DE. First, it rained both days with a forecast up to 4". I never checked the totals but the highway on the ride back to San Jose had water reaching the #2 lane in multiple spots.

The quick summary is that the car performed UNBELIEVABLY. If I needed anything to boost my love of my 996tt, this was it.

Day 1:
Classes, parking lot exercises (3) and finally the track with Instructor. The first time on the track was with windows up, serious rain. 2nd time on the track was windows down and the line was dry for most of the track. It was during the 2nd session that I found out what a 996tt can do. More importantly, I found out what I can do.

Day 2:
Rain, serious rain, windows up with driving rain and gusts up to 50 mph. I was much faster after the wet & dry conditions of Day 1. I only completed 2 sessions due the conditions and an accident. My friend/instructor spun his 2017 R8 V10 Plus into the wall. He came out of turn 15 into the straight away, in front of the grandstand, towards turn 1 and was hit by a gust and hydroplaned. Seeing a seasoned driver wreck a $208K car was a bit of a wake up. I drove the 2nd session but skipped the last 2 to drive my buddy home.

The 996tt is an amazing car, it was by far the fastest car of the 2 groups I was paired with. Quite frankly I feel very fortunate to have my first DE in the rain with 1 dry run. I drive differently now, I learned what the car could do and how to drive it.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ate200
Noted with thx

Quick Reply: Thunderhill track advice