996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion

Old 03-18-2017, 11:33 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I owe David a HUGE apology. I was one of the first to receive this kit, and due to a few things (work travel, pregnant wife, house construction, t-ball, buying another car that's been getting a series of parts, etc) I was way delayed on getting this in. Kinda bummed I hadn't done it sooner.

With the introduction of the iPhone 7 no longer having an Aux Port I've been researching aftermarket headunits. I spend a lot of time in the car and not being able to charge and listen/Talk has been a big bummer for me. I already had an existing AUX cable in the car, but it just didn't cut it for me.

Finally he sent me an email today askign what the status was. Well, the family was asleep and I went at it. Install was a breeze. Other then popping out my radio and seeing a bunch of extra connections as the previous owner had a hard drive hooked up, everything was easy as cake. His instructions were very detailed and nailed it (i couldn't take better pictures and give better instructions).

I did take off the side panels to flush the wires down the back. That made it MUCH easier. Also, I ended up mounting the bluetooth under the dash as i have too much stuff that goes into that pocket and once you get the power and AUX cable in it cuts out some space.

The sound quality is great. Connection was easy. I think all in all this is a 30-45 minute install for most.

Dave, really really sorry about the delay, but man I can't say thanks enough for a quick and easy solution.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up! Whole purpose of the Bluetooth kit was to make it user friendly, fast and of course functional.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Two returned kits left. Seems a few went out to CDR-23 MOST owners. Just will not work with that unit. PM me if interested. Nice write up and details from an install: CLICK HERE
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried it with the PCM2 of 2004?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:41 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lconn
Have you tried it with the PCM2 of 2004?
post #43, believe that is a PCM 1. Not sure what the difference is.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:47 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There has to be a way to make this work.

In my 2003 996tt with the "CDR-23 MOST" unit I have an Ipod connection.

Wouldn't it be possible to simple use that connection?

I could care less about the CD changer in the front. It has already been "tapped" for the Ipod controls
Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
danspach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
post #43, believe that is a PCM 1. Not sure what the difference is.
Hi Dave,

Yes, mine is a PCM1 system and now that I've sorted my clutch slave, I'm going to take a run at this tomorrow. I apologize for the delay.

- Dave
Old 07-08-2017, 07:25 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by danspach
Hi Dave,

Yes, mine is a PCM1 system and now that I've sorted my clutch slave, I'm going to take a run at this tomorrow. I apologize for the delay.

- Dave
fingers crossed! Would be good to confirm whether the BTR kit works on PCM1.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those that have installed this with a cdr220, any whine with the Bluetooth? I have the A2D-BKR adapter from discount car stereo and while it works, it has a whine at higher volume that changes pitch with RPMs. I do not get the whine with CD or FM sources.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

No buzzing or whine, comes with an isolator.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:30 PM
dgw
AutoX

To bad it doesn't work with MOST. I have a 2003 TT and a 2008 Boxster S and I would love to be able to stream music off my phone.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:24 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dgw
To bad it doesn't work with MOST. I have a 2003 TT and a 2008 Boxster S and I would love to be able to stream music off my phone.
the more I looked into this the more impossible it seemed to get. The can-bus system is a tough nut to crack.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:50 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

There are some options for the MOST folks out there though, aren't there (i.e., the Mobridge M2-whatever)? They just tend to be expensive, as I understand.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by manimal
There are some options for the MOST folks out there though, aren't there (i.e., the Mobridge M2-whatever)? They just tend to be expensive, as I understand.
Yes there are; a bridge in the fiberoptic cable - $400 or more. Others out there, but they actually feed a signal into the antenna connection as I understand it. Better than an RF transmitter that "tunes in" to a free FM frequency through the antenna.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:53 PM
danspach
Instructor

I've been able to dig into my bluetooth kit from Dave. Very nicely packaged. Instructions were very clear and well thought out.

As as I had feared, the hardest part for me was pulling apart my dash and extracting my radio. Here's my PCM1 setup.

The factory carbon fiber made me nervous because I've read how fragile it can be.

Was able to get it apart and following Dave's instructions make all the necessary BT connections very easily. His pictures are very helpful. I've never taken the dash apart or seen the back of my radio before so starting from scratch.

The back of the PCM1 has the same triple block of plugs including the blue one for the cd changer control. Swap out the old blue one for the cd and swap in the new one for the Bluetooth, tap your power wires and the connections are done.

I needed to put it back together before finishing the install though and have to devise a plan for routing the cable from the back of the radio to the soon-to-be "upper" cubby.

It seems like the cage for the radio and the lower section where I have my new hole are completely separate. Does any one know if I can snake the cable down the back by the radio and then into that lower section from the side, maybe?

Do I need to drill a hole through the bottom of the radio cage to get through?

I'm looking to come in from the passenger side since it's closer to my cig lighter for the USB charger.

It's hotter than hell in NY tonight and don't have the patience to pull everything apart just to have a look again. Anyone have any experience to share?

Excited about having Bluetooth. Thanks Dave!

I'll post a lot more pictures once I finish it up.

​​​​​​​ Dave

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beta Testers Needed for Bluetooth Conversion