Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another 'undervalued car' article

Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Yet another 'undervalued car' article

Just out. Classic Motorsports. Very brief article. Their example is a 40K-mile Turbo with 106K miles...
Attached Images   
Old 12-02-2016, 12:09 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice find...I love these articles Seems they are popping up everywhere.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:06 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

I'll have to scoop up a copy.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:01 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. Drive up those values.

Though why did they insist on using a 996tt with the front bumper wars? Gross.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Nice. Drive up those values.

Though why did they insist on using a 996tt with the front bumper wars? Gross.

no kidding. I wouldn't even buy a car that had a front license plate installed, let alone an early '01 with the freaking warts.

I'm 23 months into ownership, but only 7K miles :-( and love this car! Just turned 50K miles a few weeks ago...I am really trying to get more seat time, but life is busy with work, little ones (18mo and 3 yrs) so the P-Car spends quite a bit of time in the garage.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Well, some of us live in states where front plates are required.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:05 AM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Well, some of us live in states where front plates are required.
I live in one state north of you, where front plate is also required. I bought a front license plate bumper plug off ebay earlier this year when I bought my 996tt, and have since left it in the frunk.

No issues with the cops so far
Save
Old 12-03-2016, 08:47 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there's also the oft used tow hook receptacle license plate holder that attaches to the std tow hook. its a quick 5 sec on/off if driving in highly patrolled "city" environs and you don't want to get stopped/cited for a chickens*t ticket. but up here in drivers country of la, they dont care if youre exhibiting a front plate though its obviously the law. while a quick drive into the city and leaving your car legally parked will often quickly result in the 75$+ fix it ticket.

the tow hook receptacle plate holder is a terrific workaround.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:03 PM
docboy
Racer

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
there's also the oft used tow hook receptacle license plate holder that attaches to the std tow hook. its a quick 5 sec on/off if driving in highly patrolled "city" environs and you don't want to get stopped/cited for a chickens*t ticket. but up here in drivers country of la, they dont care if youre exhibiting a front plate though its obviously the law. while a quick drive into the city and leaving your car legally parked will often quickly result in the 75$+ fix it ticket.

Yup, that's the one I got off Ebay. In fact, I think it was your recommendation instead of the one where it requires drilling into the bumper. This tow hook receptacle and license sits in the frunk, taking up space, ready to pulled out for show if necessary...

Back on topic, totally agree the 996tt is undervalued. It's ascension is beginning!
Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to ask regarding articles. Has anybody here bought or seen the Total 911 magazine where they have a issue called Best of 996 which contains every Mezger 996 model, even testing the 996 Turbo against the all new 991.2 Turbo?

I wanna buy it but wanna know if it's worth the money.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2016, 12:42 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Yup, that's the one I got off Ebay. In fact, I think it was your recommendation instead of the one where it requires drilling into the bumper. This tow hook receptacle and license sits in the frunk, taking up space, ready to pulled out for show if necessary...

Back on topic, totally agree the 996tt is undervalued. It's ascension is beginning!
yeah, mine's behind the drivers seat! ready with a story of how i only removed it to wash the car lol.

but yeah to add some *some* measure of topic relativity, sorry...

i agree with you except i am still contrarian on any potential for increase in the value of MY tt lol. it finally rained up here, a highly anomalous weather event! ) and I'm sure i heard at least another couple of small rock chip occurrences up here on muholland highway. more diminished value claim...

doesn't matter though, I'm thinking of a full on dakar rallye conversion for the car anyway. i'd have to revert back to awd. nah, not worth it though I've always wanted a dakar rallye ready 911 turbo !
Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy
I live in one state north of you, where front plate is also required. I bought a front license plate bumper plug off ebay earlier this year when I bought my 996tt, and have since left it in the frunk.

No issues with the cops so far
Save
I caved and did the same. They are in the mail.

Fun fact; meter maids in Portland can and will ticket you for no front license if you park downtown. Be warned if you head down this way.

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

I think that's the route I'm going to go.

A bit of interwebbing shows that there are several brands of tow hook license plate mounts. Which did you go with?
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 PM
highlander
Instructor

Originally Posted by Road King
...I am really trying to get more seat time, but life is busy with work, little ones (18mo and 3 yrs) so the P-Car spends quite a bit of time in the garage.
You are getting really close to being able to fit both your kids in the back seats! Then you'll have no excuse not to use the TT.

When I'm going anywhere with my grandkids and give them the option of which car to take, Grandmas' Mercedes or Pops' Turbo, they always shout "TURBO!!!!"
Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought a generic license plate tow hook mount off eBay for $44. Works perfectly well.

But by the time my car came to me, it had license holes in the front bumper cover (bumperplugged).
Old 12-03-2016, 05:18 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 281 Posts

I use the US Millworks plate holder - great design and simple. maybe $75 new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet another 'undervalued car' article