Turbos without History

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:03 AM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Turbos without History

Hi,
I've been looking for a 04 996 TT Cab manual and a 997.2 for a while.
The most difficult thing for me in looking for a used Porsche is always the service history. Hardly any car comes with service history in the US. It looks like unless it has been passed on from 1 owner to the next, you won't get any records. I don't consider Carfax service records. With my car, I have every single record and receipt since day 1.

How important were the complete service records for you when you bought your TT?

If I were to buy one without any records, what would the things I would address straight away for reliability?

Interested in hearing your opinions
Thanks
Old 11-19-2016, 04:20 AM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion people are way too concerned with this kind of thing. I bought mine with minimal records. The car only had 35k on it so not many records would have been generated anyway but I got a thorough PPI, felt good about the car, and am financially stable enough to fix any issues that may arise so the records really didn't matter to me. Would it be nice if it had come with a stack of paper? Sure, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you're buying the car for your museum collection or you don't have the financial ability to cover any potential future repairs.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Nzo
In my opinion people are way too concerned with this kind of thing. I bought mine with minimal records. The car only had 35k on it so not many records would have been generated anyway but I got a thorough PPI, felt good about the car, and am financially stable enough to fix any issues that may arise so the records really didn't matter to me. Would it be nice if it had come with a stack of paper? Sure, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you're buying the car for your museum collection or you don't have the financial ability to cover any potential future repairs.
^This
Old 11-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Stuff can break even with a stack of paperwork. These things are pushing 15 years old now.
All that paper means is you aren't buying any deferred maintenance.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:30 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

03 tt 137k miles, no records, minimum repairs, and maximum maintenance.

the cars are more robust and fearless than many of their owners.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:16 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone has their criteria and perhaps different criteria depending on the type of car and/or the use it will have. I won't touch a 10-15 year old Porsche without history. Back in the day I did oil changes every 3000 miles, more recently after a lot of convincing I have gone to 5k miles. So even if a car has 20k miles, I want to see 3 or 4 oil changes minimum. I also prefer 1-2 owner cars so this usually makes it easier to get a more complete history. Personally I would rather have a 1 owner, well documented 50k mile car than a 5 owner no records 25k mile car. I know many don't prioritize these things and that's fine, this is just my preference.

I have only had my 6T for 2 years and my CTT for about 4 years (both are occasional use cars), and my binder for each car with only the routine things I have done so far is already pretty thick for both of them. Thankfully I have had no major repairs on either one so far. I bought both because they met the criteria I was looking for including well documented history. I keep receipts and a log of everything I do to the cars from replacement ***** on the radio to tires to diff oil changes, etc, etc. I include the receipt, date, miles, and part numbers of all events. I don't plan to sell either car so these binders & records are just for me

Shred, you mention that you keep every receipt/record for your car so I'm sure you'd prefer the same for a 6T that you are currently shopping for? Is the history required to get a fantastic car?? of course not. Good luck in your search
Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 AM
D.K
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my TT with 91K miles, mods, and no service history. The in-person running condition and how clean it was overall were the only things I was concerned with.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:30 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nzo
agreed.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:30 AM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Shred
Hi,
I've been looking for a 04 996 TT Cab manual and a 997.2 for a while.
The most difficult thing for me in looking for a used Porsche is always the service history. Hardly any car comes with service history in the US. It looks like unless it has been passed on from 1 owner to the next, you won't get any records. I don't consider Carfax service records. With my car, I have every single record and receipt since day 1.

How important were the complete service records for you when you bought your TT?

If I were to buy one without any records, what would the things I would address straight away for reliability?

Interested in hearing your opinions
Thanks
I bought mine with minimal records at 50K miles and no PPI. For me it was important to buy a clean one. It was very obvious with mine that it had been always garaged and well taken care of. The interior looked new, and the outside was spotless, aside from 1 minor door ding. The story checked out, and the Carfax was clean. I work on cars myself and trusted my judgement on this one I did not feel the need to spend several hundred bucks on a PPI either. I knew a few typical 996 turbo things were wrong, the clutch accumulator (hard pedal) and sparkplugs were due (and possibly coils). However these parts are cheap and not even worth talking about if you can install them yourself.

I don't really understand why people expect low miles cars to be well documented. All my daily drivers that I bought new had no significant maintenance up to 100k, other than oil and a set of wheel bearings on my civic. I don't expect a binder full of records on a bullet proof Porsche 996 turbo that has low miles.

Last edited by napoleon1981; 11-19-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Europe I wouldn't touch any car especially a turbo without a history. Many people cheat and spin back the mileage albeit illegal but it seems to be the norm nonetheless. My Porsche maintenance book is stamped for every single service interval and I keep every service repair bill (nowadays amounting to the tune of 25K Euros). I think it shows the potential buyer that I was meticulous about car's ownership and my car reflects this. I don't think that keeping records is particularly hard to do? Or is it? All you need is a Porsche maintenance book (provided with your car) and a folder which you place in a drawer. ;-)
Old 11-19-2016, 11:30 AM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I keep the records myself, but I think the question is more, do you skip on a low mileage car that doesn't have them but everything looks good.

In the USA it is hard in states that have emission tests to tune back the mileage. That is easily seen on a Carfax.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Shred
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for your responses. I guess I am just a little crazy?

I have every single receipt in chronological order arranged from day 1 of the car in a folder on my 986S, I even have a spreadsheet made putting in the important stuff and mileage along with oil changes and calculated miles on each change. I log all repairs I have made myself with dates and miles. It helps when it's time to diagnose something on what was already changed before. At the same time it gives me a piece of mind to know when the common failure items like, the waterpump, AOS, IMS on the 986 etc was last updated so I can drive the car with more confidence, especially long distance trips.

I am looking at a 996TT with x50 at 123k miles. 33k list, looks clean and drives great. Clutch is pretty high and unfortunately 4 previous owners. No history obviously as it is with a dealer who bought it at an auction. I can afford the repairs but I also would like to know what is definitely incoming for the next 12 months and what I am driving right now. High miles (100k+) on the Mezger and 9A1 does not worry me at all, the only thing I worry about the 996TT is the 2nd gear drop out.

I am also looking at 997.2 since they are newer which hopefully less non engine things will break and have better engines long term compare to the M96/97.

Like SimonK says, in Europe all my cars had full service history, I wouldn't touch one without like most people there.

Buying a car in the US proves much more difficult with history. I guess people don't wanna see 'OMG how much these repairs cost???'
Old 11-19-2016, 11:58 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Got my car with zero records (though I found a receipt for a clutch/pack under the passenger seat). Carfax showed five prior owners and registrations in 5 different states. My tech said 'don't worry, these cars are anvils.' I've only had it for 2 years, but that seems to be the case. Would I have paid more for a car with extensive records? Maybe a little...
Old 11-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't touch ANY car without records!
Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shred, these are really solid cars. Many are running around with much more than the 123k miles you are looking at. Go with your gut and if it's a solid car go for it. You can start the binder from when you take ownership onward.

Regarding the 997.2 C2 vs 996 Turbo, I'm pretty sure most here will pick the 996Turbo every day of the week!! I know I would.

Originally Posted by Shred
Thanks for your responses. I guess I am just a little crazy?

I have every single receipt in chronological order arranged from day 1 of the car in a folder on my 986S, I even have a spreadsheet made putting in the important stuff and mileage along with oil changes and calculated miles on each change. I log all repairs I have made myself with dates and miles. It helps when it's time to diagnose something on what was already changed before. At the same time it gives me a piece of mind to know when the common failure items like, the waterpump, AOS, IMS on the 986 etc was last updated so I can drive the car with more confidence, especially long distance trips.

I am looking at a 996TT with x50 at 123k miles. 33k list, looks clean and drives great. Clutch is pretty high and unfortunately 4 previous owners. No history obviously as it is with a dealer who bought it at an auction. I can afford the repairs but I also would like to know what is definitely incoming for the next 12 months and what I am driving right now. High miles (100k+) on the Mezger and 9A1 does not worry me at all, the only thing I worry about the 996TT is the 2nd gear drop out.

I am also looking at 997.2 since they are newer which hopefully less non engine things will break and have better engines long term compare to the M96/97.

Like SimonK says, in Europe all my cars had full service history, I wouldn't touch one without like most people there.

Buying a car in the US proves much more difficult with history. I guess people don't wanna see 'OMG how much these repairs cost???'

Quick Reply: Turbos without History