Sponsored by:

Turbos without History

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:05 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I like buying from private individuals rather than a dealer for a couple of reasons. A major one is that I get records. Plus I want to talk to the guy who actually drove it prior to me.
Yes, it's been my experience that dealers happily accept the records from the person they buy the car from (if a private party) and then throw them away.
There is little upside - in their view - to having records. Kinda like running for political office - if there are no records of them having done anything, there's nothing to criticize.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
Yes, it's been my experience that dealers happily accept the records from the person they buy the car from (if a private party) and then throw them away.
There is little upside - in their view - to having records. Kinda like running for political office - if there are no records of them having done anything, there's nothing to criticize.
Serious, legit dealers won't throw important parts of the car, in this case records but yeah...this is the sad truth about lots of dealers.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:40 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Funny to see some support on buying a car without records here. I always felt like a black sheep for buying a car without records or a PPI.

My car was immaculate inside and out and that was a huge plus. Also the seller understood not having/allowing this came with a price and I purchased the car for less than market value.

3 years later the car is still a bullet and yes I had to fix many of the little things that go wrong with these cars.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:08 PM
NTY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Funny to see some support on buying a car without records here. I always felt like a black sheep for buying a car without records or a PPI.

My car was immaculate inside and out and that was a huge plus. Also the seller understood not having/allowing this came with a price and I purchased the car for less than market value.

3 years later the car is still a bullet and yes I had to fix many of the little things that go wrong with these cars.
You are not alone. I have bought many pre-owned cars without maintenance record and never done a single PPI in my 29 years of car ownership. I have had problems with full record cars and no problem with no record cars. All pre-owned cars will need some form of maintenance when you first buy them especially the older ones.

Not having record is not a deal breaker to me. I assess the car myself and it's not difficult to tell which car is abused or loved.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ agree. records, shemcords lol

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I got records, P-dealer PPI, and bought from a private owner whose home was meticulous, went for long test drive too. None of that gave me a clue to the upcoming transmission rebuild.
exactly. i got my first one as a cpo'd car from a larger metro car dealership and it manifested ( or already had ) 2nd gear popout. so much for porsche's exhaustive "200 point CPO checklist". sheesh.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 AM
2002_996TT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my car 2 weeks ago without any history. I did do a PPI on it. So far the car been solid.

Quick Reply: Turbos without History