Sponsored by:

Feeling slightly ripped off.... by Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:01 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Feeling slightly ripped off.... by Rennlisters

To quote Ferry Porsche, "I looked around and could not find quite the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself.".... Just change "car" for "T-shirt".

I'm a graphics guy, so I took inspiration from my biarritz white '01 996TT. Thus explains my avatar. I liked it enough to submit it to BlipShift. Nice guys. It sold well and I received a small check for MY DESIGN.

Since then I have seen MY DESIGN pop up with 4 different T-Shirt design companies. I even saw it pop up on in a designer's portfolio in France. I know it is mine, because I put a kink in the line-art that should be in a straight line.... hidden detail. If someone took the idea and made their own drawing the detail would not be there.

Here is the kicker... The ONLY place I have used MY DESIGN for the public to see is here on Rennlist, so it was stolen ... from here ...

I don't want to sound pissy, but go design your own shirt. Or ask if you can use the design. Just don't steal it.

And yes 03evoIII it is illegal to steal.

Last edited by KC-CarGuy; 11-15-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:22 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

And then submitted it to BlipShift. What did you think you would be PAID for a design you ripped off?

Old 11-14-2016, 02:30 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

That's how the motion picture and music industies lose billions a year. ZERO respect for creators/designers.

People who would never think to pick up a tip left at the adjacent table in a restaurant steal music, movies, art, etc.

Sux. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

The post 03evoIII made is from 2015 (it's been awhile).

As you are probably aware, your picture does not have to be formally copyrighted to be protected. Copyrighting only allows an easier path towards seeking compensation. You have a right to pursue anyone for compensation, although actions in another country are difficult.

I think you probably need to communicate directly with 03evoIII via PM, or formally via email. Even though I understand your frustration, I'm not sure the public forum is the right place to be pursuing this.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:37 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

wow, that does ( kinda ) suck. i have two of those t-shirts already! got em at least a year ago?

but i can't resist and old record business joke: when morris levy of roulette records fame was asked by one of his struggling artists where his record royalties were in lieu of a new cadillac he was given every year by Levy, Levy replied"

"you want "royalties"?! go to england"!!.

( sorry,.. you have a great graphic design and should have been paid to license it )

What is copyright infringement?
Copyright infringement happens whenever someone makes copies or commercially exploits a work without the copyright owner's permission. The second work must actually be copied from the first work—if you just happen to create a very similar work independently, that is not infringement. The problems arise when one artist uses another artist's work as reference. To be infringing, the second artist's works need not be identical. The standard for infringement is whether the second work is “substantially similar” to the original work. (Contrary to popular belief, there is no “20 percent rule,” i.e., you cannot escape infringement by changing something by 20 percent. Infringement is not a mathematical calculation.)

“Substantially similar” means that an average person viewing the two works would recognize that the “artistic expression” in one was copied from the other. The focus on “artistic expression” is meant to distinguish between illegal copying, which is infringement, and being inspired by someone else's work, which is not illegal. “Artistic expression” means the specific artistic choices and details that go into a work, such as composition, rendering and colors, but not general concepts such as subject matter or similar artistic style. However, courts often describe infringing works as having the same “look and feel” as the originals. Sometimes work depicting similar content in the same unique artistic style are held infringing, even if specific details are different.

Unfortunately, infringement is a common occurrence in the graphic arts. Here are some examples:

A licensee re-uses the work beyond the scope of the license, as in the example above where the magazine adapts the illustration for a column logo.
An illustrator makes a painting from a photograph. Many people think photographs are just factual records, and thus can be freely copied, or that changing the medium is sufficient to avoid infringement. This is not correct. Photographs are fully protected as copyrighted works. If you copy the artistic expression of a photograph, e.g., the choice of subject matter, props, lighting, point of view, composition, etc., you have infringed the copyright in the photograph.
An illustrator copies the unique way another illustrator draws figures.
An ad campaign uses slogans, images and page designs similar to those of another ad campaign.
Many designers are surprised to learn that infringement occurs even when you merely copy someone's work for intermediate purposes, as in the following examples:

An advertising agency creates a comp using images from an artist's or photographer's portfolio. The comp itself is an act of infringement. If the final artwork is substantially similar to the art that was used in the comp, it counts as a second infringement.
An image is digitally copied (e.g., scanned or downloaded) in order to manipulate it with a program like Photoshop. The mere act of making the precursor digital copy counts as a separate act of infringement, regardless of whether the final manipulated image is substantially similar.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:54 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

The post 03evoIII made is from 2015 (it's been awhile).
Yes it has. But after the latest posting... I went back to where it started.
- - - - - -
It was then put it on Ebay. ... At what point should someone think, "huh am I selling someone else's art?"

Old 11-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put it on Shutter Stock. You'll get a small payment. And often can get the thief to take it down.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:16 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey KC-CarGuy...man I feel really bad about this. I also bought one back then. I thought 03evoIII had permission to use it Have you tried contacting him to clear it up??

It really is a great design, I'd be in to buy a few more shirts or even say, coffee mugs or caps with it if you consider making some items available.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Your title is a bit of exaggeration...I think it might be one rennlister but to put us all in the same boat is probably an incorrect insult. I have had material (with legal copyright) stolen multiple times. It is a PIA to do anything about it. The lawyers make all the money.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love to have a version of that t-shirt... from the original designer. So, KC-CarGuy, if you have some, I' love to buy one from you.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wtf...I bought one of those a while back too!! I love that design, wish I knew it was yours. I did not buy from eBay though!

I hope you do mugs or stuff like that, please let me know IF you do!
Old 11-14-2016, 04:01 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Your title is a bit of exaggeration...
Might be, but it is how I am feeling. There are a number of people on Renn AND 6so both and saw it in both places.

"02996ttX50 - Thank you for the legal copy and paste. Yes I am familiar with it. You put the two next to each other and tell me they are not "substantially similar" or that there is an "artistic impression" making it different.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:03 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

I did not buy from eBay though!
I hope it was with BlipShift. They are the only ones I signed rights for them to use the design.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-CarGuy
I hope it was with BlipShift. They are the only ones I signed rights for them to use the design.
If that's the case, I say let's get them to do another run. I want one of those shirts.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:13 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would talk directly to 03EvoIII , this is not the place to discuss it= but do see why your pissed.

Quick Reply: Feeling slightly ripped off.... by Rennlisters