Sponsored by:

Apple connection question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 11:59 PM
Chris87
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple connection question

Just bought my '03 996TT and it came with an old Apple connection (pic attached) to the PCM. After some research here, I thought it might be a Dennison hook up so I tried an adapter to my iPhone 6 but nothing happened on the car's end or the phone's. Anybody know how to get this to work? I tried every input. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:22 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pull off the side panel of the lower console and see what it's connected to.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

My guess is that the PO disconnected the CD player and has this plugged in instead - or do you have an auxiliary input choice?

On my old 99 I had that type of connector plugged into the back to listen to my iPod.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:55 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris87
Just bought my '03 996TT and it came with an old Apple connection (pic attached) to the PCM. After some research here, I thought it might be a Dennison hook up so I tried an adapter to my iPhone 6 but nothing happened on the car's end or the phone's. Anybody know how to get this to work? I tried every input. Thanks for any advice.
First find a 30-pin device to see if the connector works. If so, make sure to use a real apple lightning adapter (many of the cheapies only transmit power). I have a Dension 500 on my 03 with the short lightning cable adapter, and it works perfectly with an iPhone 6. Note, my Dension 30 pin plug does not look same as yours. You may need to dig into the dash to see what you've really got in there.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Chris87
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've tried the following based on the responses but still can't get any action.

I plugged in a 30-pin ipad and a message came on the device screen saying something to the effect that it may not support this accessory. The music stopped playing on the ipad but no response on the car's end. I tried CD and CD changer, but nothing. Note, when I plugged in my wife's iphone 6 with the adapter there was no such message on the phone.

Upon further inspection, I noticed a toggle switch along the side of the panel (pic attached). Any ideas on what this is?

I pulled the cubby out to see where the wire is going. It is appears to feed below, away from the radio (see pic attached).

The radio does not have an auxiliary option. Once I find a CD lying around, I'll try it and see if it works to determine if PO disconnected it.

Thanks again for all your help!

Toggle switch. It was switched on when plugging in devices.

Cable feeds down below.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:48 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

That toggle switch looks exactly like the one on my car to switch the laser jammer on and off. Judging by its location that likely what it's for. Do you have a laser jammer? Do your speakers beep when you switch it on?
Old 11-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Chris87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
That toggle switch looks exactly like the one on my car to switch the laser jammer on and off. Judging by its location that likely what it's for. Do you have a laser jammer? Do your speakers beep when you switch it on?
No jammer, but the car is hard wired for a radar protector so I suppose it's possible it used to have one. I don't hear a beep when I switch it on.
Old 11-13-2016, 12:57 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Could it be to turn on/off the radar detector?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Chris87
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Could it be to turn on/off the radar detector?
I'm about to head out, so I'll toggle with it and see observe what happens. Thanks man.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:50 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a switch almost exactly like that in my 986. It was for powering a separate box that interfaced the iPhone to the stock Becker head unit.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:47 PM
Chris87
Intermediate

So toggling the switch does not appear to affect anything in the car. The in-dash CD player also works. Any ideas? My next step I guess would be to try a 30 pin iphone and see if that does anything.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 AM
Chris87
Intermediate

After some searching, it looks like this might be a Mobridge, which apparently will play the ipod through FM station 89.7. I got clear sound on 89.1 (go figure) after toggling the switch. I'll try the iphone later tonight and see if that will play.

Given the above, any more ideas what this is? I emailed Mobridge with some pics but didn't hear back.

Edit: Looks like it's an FM modulator:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-install.html
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Chris87
Intermediate

These threads gave me the idea to change the frequency:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...es-wanted.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-install.html

Quick Reply: Apple connection question