Sponsored by:

Request for a picture of the inside of your 996TT engine lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:48 AM
teeumup
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Request for a picture of the inside of your 996TT engine lid

I am in the process of removing my Factory Aero wing and replacing it with a factory turbo wing. Could some post a picture of the inside of your stock Turbo 996TT engine lid with the hydraulic motors, wiring, ram and fan. I am trying to understand what the difference is in the layout and wiring of my lid and the stock lid. If you have a 2004 that would be the best example
thanks
Bob
Old 10-25-2016, 01:41 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here is one. But a picture won't help. You need to trace the wiring loom from where it plugs in near the right side hinge at the fender area - to where it goes. So take off the black plastic shroud, and start the tracing process. The plug will be the same at the fender. The loom may have pigtails for the upper and lower limit switches on the right side hydraulic ram - and also for the hydraulic motor bolted to the back side of the black plastic shroud. I've already sent the wiring diagram, which are available on my website as well.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2016, 01:52 PM
teeumup
Advanced

here is a picture of an engine lid with the OEM hydraulic wing. It appears to me the hydraulic motors and the hydraulic ram are missing....does that appear correct? since I have not seen an original set up I don't know what to look for. This lid looks different than the one that Dave attached so they must me different years and models

I circled in red where I think the hydraulic motors and ram should be mounted....let me know if I am correct
thanks
Bob
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm sure you know this but a HUGE benefit of the Aero Wing is the elimination of the finnicky rams, hydraulics, etc. Just curious as to why you'd want to remove a rare and valuable/reliable option.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
I'm sure you know this but a HUGE benefit of the Aero Wing is the elimination of the finnicky rams, hydraulics, etc. Just curious as to why you'd want to remove a rare and valuable/reliable option.

i agree with with the finicky rams, but it's still an awesome feature to see it deploy/retract. Once you learn the re bleed procedure it takes less than hour to repair.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
i agree with with the finicky rams, but it's still an awesome feature to see it deploy/retract. Once you learn the re bleed procedure it takes less than hour to repair.
No doubt, no doubt. Occasionally I struggle to stay at 74mph or below on the freeway to keep the wing down...for fun of course.

But yes, it's really cool to see it slowly extend. Mine's working well, knock on wood, and I try to drive the car weekly. I NEVER extend the wing manually or mess with it...the car decides when it goes up and down.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Officer: why were you going 75 in a 65?
Me: the car provides more stability on road due to deployment of spoiler.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:36 AM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I took two pictures for you of mine:

This angle is from the driver side to the center. I tried to get the pump in the picture but this is all you can see. hope it helps a bit

The wire harness comes out on the passenger side.

Mine looks like the picture Dave posted (for the general overview)
Old 10-29-2016, 12:30 PM
teeumup
Advanced

Great pictures ....thanks
I am removing the aero wing because I like the original look better. Better overall lines to the car. I don't track it so more pressure on the rear ties is not a factor. There is an electrical modification to remove the hydraulic motors and replace them with electric ones that integrate into the factory wiring. and there is a static modification that removes the hydraulics and just sets the wing at a fixed position. I am considering all the above.

I am having a hard time finding a complete OEM engine lid with all the parts intact. I can find stripped lids but not one with with the fan, hydraulics, wiring and latch.

at Napolean1981 is the first picture where the ram is located behind that plate where I see the hydraulic tubing going into?
Old 10-29-2016, 01:05 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

From the workshop manual
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2016, 02:41 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
From the workshop manual
Excellent post.
Teeumup, I'll keep my eyes open for a complete unmolested lid with wing. If the rams are missing, eRams would be a nice add, forget screwing around with the troublesome hydraulic system. You can see lots of examples here: www.rennkit.com/testimonials

Quick Reply: Request for a picture of the inside of your 996TT engine lid