Sponsored by:

When should all fluids be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:09 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I asked a question, and you offered a response to that queston that fell short in terms of my data challenge. I point that lack of data out to you, and you reply "I know that". So this still leaves us without any data.

I personally think that there IS no data, but I could be wrong and therefore wanted to make sure by asking you to provde the data.
I think there IS data that proves my comment about transmission life being shorter if you don't change it more frequently than recommended. I also think it will never be seen by most of us.

Would manufacturers spend the time and $ to compile service record details by VIN? They could see if vehicles over some high mileage
marker, let's say 200k+, had a correlation of less hard parts replacement with more frequent fluid changes.

Or, maybe they don't bother and give us a mileage marker that is
just within specified capabilities of that fluid. Maybe even with some disclaimer like "when used in accordance with local laws".

One thing that surprises me is that a car driven at Autobahn speeds would have the same change intervals. Seems like some countries service instructions would be a little different from ours here in 60mph land.

One thing is certain, if I buy a new car that I plan to keep post warranty, I'll splurge on fluid intervals. Or, get a new gt3, track it 9,000 miles and sell for more before the first oil change is "due".

Quick Reply: When should all fluids be replaced?