Sponsored by:

996 value going up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by split71
Could not have worded it better. I have said this forever.
Exactly right. I still don't really understand why owners of 996TT bad mouth their own cars.
Review the facts:
the most durable engine Porsche has produced
extremely comfortable GT car
point and shoot in traffic
I like the headlights because I'm queer for the GT1
did you feel like doing a few mods so it can roast most anything
I say let the prices rise, if you missed the boat when they bottomed out, too bad for you.
I have two 996TT (#24 and 30 Porsche's I have owned since 10/6/1971) my daily driver, Protomotive GT700 with a 121,000 miles and it is very fine. I would not sell it for less than $50K. I also have a RUF 550 RTurbo better bring something north of $65,000 otherwise I'll just enjoy them myself.
F@#K the haters, sip a little bourbon, and pay up!
Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone ever played with making the 996tt Mezger engine normally aspirated? When I was test driving the car I didn't buy I was still very impressed at the way it pulled and how quickly. It was almost an embarrassment of riches. With my puny little 3.4 NA it takes a while to wind it out, but that elongates the pleasure. Even with my 997.1 S I always felt like I was running out of road too soon.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:19 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Has anyone ever played with making the 996tt Mezger engine normally aspirated? When I was test driving the car I didn't buy I was still very impressed at the way it pulled and how quickly. It was almost an embarrassment of riches. With my puny little 3.4 NA it takes a while to wind it out, but that elongates the pleasure. Even with my 997.1 S I always felt like I was running out of road too soon.
Isn't the 996GT3 an NA Mezger?
Old 10-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Isn't the 996GT3 an NA Mezger?
Yes it is...385HP factory HP rating at like a bazillion RPM.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
...I like the headlights because I'm queer for the GT1....
LOL! Post of the month right there.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM
bugeyemilo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
Review the facts:
the most durable engine Porsche has produced

extremely comfortable GT car

I like the headlights because I'm queer for the GT1

did you feel like doing a few mods so it can roast most anything

I say let the prices rise, if you missed the boat when they bottomed out, too bad for you.

F@#K the haters, sip a little bourbon, and pay up!

^ I Like this guy!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:36 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
LOL! Post of the month right there.
Thank you Carlo!
Old 11-02-2016, 11:40 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bugeyemilo
^ I Like this guy!
Thank you bug, I have been told I have excellent taste...in bourbon, art, and women. I'm just plain biased about Porsche's.
Winslow
--
Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool article
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...31/porsche-959
Off topic a bit but wanted to share it.

Last edited by jeanmarcboilard; 11-04-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:20 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 258 Posts

With articles like this, the cat is going to get out of the bag....Guess I need to start shopping for #2
Old 11-04-2016, 05:45 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
As an earlier poster pointed out, the only thing that matters is the actual sales price. Asking prices are like politicians promises...dreams. I drove an 02 996tt the other day...96k miles and priced at about $33k. The condition made it not worth that sort of money. Suspension was tired, interior trim needed some attention to details, the wheel balance and alignment were off...which all led me to feel that the car had not been well cared for and I was seeing the tip of the iceberg. A much better example sat next to it and the price was $43k. So one car didn't sell at $33k and I'm guessing it is really only worth $28k. And the $43k car is really a $38k.

Of course I'm stripping away most of the dealer's profit...but I'm seeing what they pay when they pick up these cars at auction. The dealer (an independent) bought over 15 cars at one auction, turned around and is selling one of them to an authorized Porsche dealer (for a small but fast profit) and that car will quickly become a CPO and the price will go up again.

The only true price is what ever each of us is willing to pay for a specific car at a specific time. The 993tt is a perfect example of an over heated market. It is a better car than the 930 and a lesser car than the 996. And its rarity is only relative.
I agree with most of this. For full disclosure, I purchased a 996TT 2 months ago (thanks RL!), so I am admittedly biased in thinking that the true values are higher than your examples, especially for very nice cars.

And sure, we never know at what price cars are actually changing hands, but I think there is enough demand for the really nice examples now (coupe, 6 spd., low miles, stock or light mods) that most buyers are not scoring those examples for 10%+ off asking price. Those with nice cars tend to know what they have.

Obviously, this topic has been hashed out quite a bit recently, but as you allude to, I think the same thing is starting to happen to 996TT's that you see with high value/collectible cars: the discrepancy in value between low quality examples and very nice/stock examples is growing. A beat up car might not be worth $30k, but a pristine one is easily $50k+.

When I first started seriously looking ~6 months ago (after casually following the market for years), I was hoping to find a nice 996TT for ~$35k. Sadly, all of the examples I found in that range were not nearly the condition I was hoping to find, and I ended up upping my budget to nearly $50k to find the car I wanted. And I am not an ****/concours kinda guy. I just wanted a properly cared-for car.

Time will tell, but I think the REALLY nice examples are probably changing hands at decent values, because the demand is there, and once you start seriously looking, I think you'll find that the supply (again, of really nice coupe 6 speeds) isn't as big as many would suggest.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i love this car more than any other 911 I've had excepting my previous 996 turbo.

i will hope to tangentially illustrate a point:

out of necessity recently, i just had a dealership gouge me for a simple fuel pump r&r.

as they always hand you a checklist will all the bull**** they couldn't sell me ( ahem.."asked" if i wanted a new fuel sender too, the idiots ) the ONLY thing they could markup on their porsche dealership checklist was that there was a scrape on one of my aftermarket wheels and that my rears didn't match my front tires! ( I'm rwd, thank you very much

..and while i love 996 turbo's ( and 650 triumphs ( presumably ) as much as horsepowerfarm does, i suffer from no illusions about it's day to day market value. $26k for a reliable and daily 2.9 sec 0-60?!

and yet, my car is market valued at btw 26k and 30k depending upon who is buying. ( owing only to hi mileage )

deal of the century hah!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

What's the fuel pump story got to do with anything?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
What's the fuel pump story got to do with anything?
it was the contextual setup for my anecdotal explanation, that in spite of my cars mileage ( and hence its "diminished" value ), my car has nothing discernible ( at least by A PORSCHE TECH ) wrong with it! yet, it was still only worth 26-30 k give or take?

i'm gonna bet you're the only guy that needs this explained. critically think much?

next time, instead of me explaining myself ( hopefully only to you ). simply, re-read my post lol

ps: your first clue would be my qualifying statement: "i will hope to tangentially illustrate my point". ( duh )
Old 11-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

in Rick's defence, I also wondered what the fuel pump story had to do with the conversation. Now that you explain and point out the tangentially I understand your earlier post but it did confuse me. I don't think Rick was picking on you here.
Carry on, and everybody enjoy the weekend

Quick Reply: 996 value going up?