Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Puking - Swap? Hopefully not in over my head!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Puking - Swap? Hopefully not in over my head!

Hello Rennlist! Okay, so I brought my new-to-me '01 996 turbo home about a week ago and now it started puking antifreeze from the front driver's side! It's got a 100k miles on it, so I knew I'd have to do some wrenching, eventually, not a huge surprise. Just was hoping it would take long than a week before I had to rip into it! So, here it goes:

Oh great and powerful world of the Rennlist hear my prayer and give me any useful information you see fit:

I took my bumper off, most of the way:

There is a fastener on the passenger side that doesn't mirror the driver's side and can't figure how to "unfasten." That said, there doesn't appear to be any stress on the bumper that could damage it, so I'm OK with it "mostly" removed for the time being. The partial bumper removal is a little sloppy, but as my coolant puking problem is on the driver's side, it shouldn't be a problem.

So, after removing the bumper cover and the black shroud behind the bumper to get at the driver's side radiator:

Then took a peek at my radiator, or what I could see of it by peering around and behind my condenser:

Not sure if it comes through in the photos, but there appears to be a LOT of animal hair in there. Not mouse hair, though. It looks like someone cleaned out the drain from a house full of women (no disrespect to women intended) or sucked a collie into the radiator! You can see the small pile of hair that I pulled out directly under the car. WEIRD! Yes, I know I'll need to clean the other one out, btw's.

Brass Tacks: Ok, so there is a lot of moisture on the radiator. I cannot see where the coolant is coming from, though. There is a plastic shroud on top of the radiator, so I can't get a direct view of the tank. That said, coolant is coming from near the top of the radiator, or from under the shroud.
1) Do I have enough information to know whether I need a new radiator or do I need more investigating?
2) To completely remove the condenser, am I going to drain the freon from the AC (stupid question, I know)?

Any tips?
Old 10-07-2016, 07:24 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was me I'd bite the bullet and replace all 3 rads. CSF rads are a nice aftermarket option. I don't believe you have to disconnect the condenser. It's nice to see you digging right in there though.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:25 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

+1, this, spot-on
Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
If it was me I'd bite the bullet and replace all 3 rads. CSF rads are a nice aftermarket option. I don't believe you have to disconnect the condenser.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Update:

- Was able to remove the bumper entirely. Apparently the fasteners on the drivers and passenger's side don't mirror each other because the one on the driver's side is broken (no biggie). Was able to remove the bumper entirely and remove any stress the poor poor bumper was feeling because of the ugly/sloppy twist:

- The other update is that on listening carefully, I can hear the leak. The system must have some residual pressure from driving it earlier today and there is a very faint leak-sound. There is, weirdly, some coolant on top of the condenser; so the leak must be above the condenser, right? The condenser is mounted in the center of the radiator, so there is a bit of radiator peaking above the condenser. Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 10-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to remove the condenser. It's hold on by 4 screw and you can kinda move it around enough to remove the radiator. It's not hard but time consuming and tedious.

I would try to remove the front bumper cover completely and also may as well at least clean out the passenger side. I do this once a year along with the intercoolers.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
If it was me I'd bite the bullet and replace all 3 rads. CSF rads are a nice aftermarket option. I don't believe you have to disconnect the condenser. It's nice to see you digging right in there though.
I don't think CSF have the center unit. At least when I bought mine they didn't have the center unit.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Jeanmarcboilard: I hear what you are saying about replacing all three radiators and that definitely sounds most prudent. However, I don't think I'll do it this time. Next radiator to go will probably prompt me to replace the remaining one simultaneously, though. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, you have a super bitchin color on yours! Wow, that blue looks good!

Forrest Gump 9: I did remove the 4 screws holding the condenser on. Glad to know it doesn't have to completely come off to successfully replace the radiator. And 10-four on the bumper removal. It just didn't feel right being that sloppy. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:35 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

They tend to separate and leak where the end tanks meet the core and I've also seen the neck on the radiator where the hose connects crack on a car.

It's an easy job. I'd replace all 3 if you can; you're going to have to do it anyway at some point.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:36 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

CSF brought all 3 to market at the same time, must've had bad info source
Set #1 produced here, 40000km on them now
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...diators-6.html

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
I don't think CSF have the center unit. At least when I bought mine they didn't have the center unit.
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
There is a center unit available.
Forrest Gump 9
Instructor

You may also want to at least remove the front wheels. The hoses are behind the radiators and best access thru the wheel wells
Old 10-07-2016, 07:37 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

OP, although a greater investment up front, it is smart to do all 3 at once...think of the 27L of coolant you save doing it once
Old 10-08-2016, 12:50 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Like everyone's said, do all 3 and save yourself the agony of one going at an inconvenient time.
Also, get familiar with the PET:
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...SA_KATALOG.pdf

Will save you a lot of headache and you may even notice some screw holes on items that need removal

Porsche part numbers change slightly over time, helpful eh so don't take them as gospel.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:53 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Both my side radiators were leaking around the tanks at 60K. I just re-crimped the end tanks with vise grips and it has been good for 6 months. Now my water pump is weeping. So that is the next project. Use Audi antifreeze and save about $20 per gallon, you need 3.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:46 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Mine (2004, 17k miles) started leaking the month after I bought the car. On mine the end radiators were full of pin holes. Lots of storage and little cleaning.
Replaced all with CSF radiators, the owner is on this forum and at one point offered a discount to members.
Take the wheels off, remove the inner fenders, buy new hoses. With the inner fenders on you will not be able to access the hoses and fan brackets. Also when you remove the radiator take all of the thin flat washers out of the rubber mounts and put them in a safe place until you are ready to remount the new unit. If you don't you might end up one shy and they are not standard.
The center rad rubber intake snout is riveted on. you will have to drill them out and replace them on the new one with "POP" rivets. The new one should come predrilled. There is also a drain plug on the bottom of the center radiator.
Get yourself a hooked "screwdriver" to remove the hoses it will make it much easier. It enables you to pull the hoses from the open end which opens them up and lets them slide off as opposed to pulling from the closed end making them grab the pipe like a "Chinese" handcuff".

99610662179 upper hose PRIMARY, Turbo Left
99610662179 upper hose PRIMARY, Turbo Right
99610662579 lower hose PRIMARY, Turbo Left
99610662678 lower hose PRIMARY, Turbo Right
99610680100 o-ring for drain plug (same as vent hose)
99610680215 retaining spring for vent hoses (same clip for drain plug)
99610680216 retaining clip for side radiator hoses
99610680217 retaining clip for center radiator hoses
99610663976 coolant hose, center radiator, left
99610663876 coolant hose, center radiator, right
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Radiator Puking - Swap? Hopefully not in over my head!