Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Puking - Swap? Hopefully not in over my head!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. Especially Fpb111. Wow, I really appreciate it. I will not be replacing all three radiators, it's just not a big deal to me to redo the process next time to replace the next two. That said, Porsche of Tysons Corner is making this right and sending me a new radiator. Fully realizing I bought the car "as is" (I got it with a 100K miles) after I told them I had the car for less than a week before it started puking all over, they wanted to help me as much as they could. As the nearest dealer is more than a 5 hour drive away, I've taken the project on myself and they are at least buying the parts; which I'd say is frankly bending over backwards to make me happy. Way above and beyond. THANKS PORSCHE OF TYSONS.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:50 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Nice! Good karma for them!
Old 10-09-2016, 11:04 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

You are welcome.
If you are only replacing one radiator and your hoses are in good shape you will be surprised how easy it is to remove the 3 hoses from the rad. They are all quick disconnects with clips on aluminum ends with "O" rings. As long as your "O" rings seal in the new rad ends your are golden. I used a little silicone grease to help them slide in.
Don't get dirty!
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 AM
Therapy996t
Advanced

FPB111: you have an amazing looking shop! Thanks for the info. My neighbor and I replaced one of radiators today after work. The other is going in on Friday after work.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:46 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Not nearly as bad as you feared was it?

Thank you for the shop complement. Right now it is so packed with stuff from my father in laws estate that my wife can't get her car in. (Garage sale Saturday then dumpster.)
Old 10-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

fpb111: You are right, sir. It wasn't as bad as I thought! Unfortunately, the day after buttoning the system and bumper back up (yesterday) the passenger radiator started leaking again! It's only a little leak; small drip - no steam. So, I'll continue driving it around for a few days this week before tearing into it again next weekend to diagnose whether the new radiator is defective or just a bad fit with a hose or whatever.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

On another note... did you guys know that bleeding the cooling system was more complicated than just leaving the blue topper off of the reservoir and letting the car idle? Cause HOLY **** the car was pissed off about that whole situation. Thanks be to God for Google, Rennlist, and 6speed online. Found the bleeder valve and did a series of revs to work the air out. The car (other than the new small leak) is happy again.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:32 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Therapy996t
fpb111: You are right, sir. It wasn't as bad as I thought! Unfortunately, the day after buttoning the system and bumper back up (yesterday) the passenger radiator started leaking again! It's only a little leak; small drip - no steam. So, I'll continue driving it around for a few days this week before tearing into it again next weekend to diagnose whether the new radiator is defective or just a bad fit with a hose or whatever.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

On another note... did you guys know that bleeding the cooling system was more complicated than just leaving the blue topper off of the reservoir and letting the car idle? Cause HOLY **** the car was pissed off about that whole situation. Thanks be to God for Google, Rennlist, and 6speed online. Found the bleeder valve and did a series of revs to work the air out. The car (other than the new small leak) is happy again.
raise the rear of the car higher than the front. bring it up to temp and raise the bleeder tab on the reservoir. watch the temps and let it run for 20 minutes or so. air raises to the top at the back
Old 10-24-2016, 05:25 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

If you have access to a compressor a U-view 55000 type, there are others, tool makes filling coolant much easier.
It can also be used to check for leaks. This might have saved you some head aches.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uvie...obile&ie=UTF-8

Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would still go in and replace all 3 radiators with CSF. If that one was leaking the other are not far behind.
We also have the OEM brand AKG too.
Use RENNLIST at checkout to get 10% off.

http://www.warehouse33auto.com/parts...927/4/0/2172/0

-Jason
Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Jason I suspect he will find that one of the O-rings on the hose end isn't flexible enough to make a tight seal on the new radiator. Are they listed as separate part #s?

Therapy you might have to spring for a/some new hoses. If it is just the O-ring a couple of heat cycles may enable it to seal. Even if that happens I'm not sure if it can be relied on to stay sealed.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Originally Posted by fpb111
Jason I suspect he will find that one of the O-rings on the hose end isn't flexible enough to make a tight seal on the new radiator. Are they listed as separate part #s?

Therapy you might have to spring for a/some new hoses. If it is just the O-ring a couple of heat cycles may enable it to seal. Even if that happens I'm not sure if it can be relied on to stay sealed.
fpb111: I hope you're right about the O-rings/separate part numbers. I've cycled the car several times by now (more than 15, anyway). Also, the dealer said they replaced the hoses/the hoses do legitimately look new. It would be awesome if I just needed a couple of O-rings! I'll pull 'er apart next weekend and give ya'll an update.

I swear, when I get the coolant leak hammered out and the rattle in my dash fixed, I'm just going to enjoy the car. All the other problems are minor but the one is worrying and the other is supremely annoying. Unfortunately I get absolutely no enjoyment out of the car, right now (unless I have my foot burried). Even the tiny oil leak is bearable. My Therapy996t is turning out to be a little bit of a stresser at the moment. -Just a little venting- Cheers.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

You may be able to see what is leaking by pulling the tire and fender liner before you pull the bumper cover.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

INTERESTING UPDATE: Okay, so I've investigated the new leak in the new radiator. On carful inspection I saw dripping from the connection between the rad and the large upper hose on the passenger radiator. Also, I was able to remove the inner fender (wheel well?) without setting up jack stands and removing the tire! Once the inner fender was out, getting at the hose was MUCH easier (you guys were right!). On careful inspection of the O-ring on the outside of the metal hose fitting, it looked healthy. So, here's where I need your input -
1) Is it possible that it was just a weird connection or some grime got in there during install?
2) Could the O-ring be bad and still look healthy?
3) Would you guys clean the fitting/O-ring put it all back together and bleed the system or would you guys just replace the O-ring (part #?)?
4) if you guys don't like the above 3 questions, what suggestions do you have? Just a humble owner of a 996T looking for a little leak-free ownership Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Old 10-29-2016, 12:22 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

1. Yes
2. Yes they can "take a set" and become oval/flattened slightly.
3. You could clean everything, lube the oring lightly with silicone or another synthetic grease and retry.
4. If it were mine I would just replace that hose and be done with it.

PM Jason @warehouse33 and see if the orings are available. I think you will have to track one down through another supplier. Measure it and do the Google or try Homedepot type stores, plumbing supply?

Last edited by fpb111; 10-29-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:57 AM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Originally Posted by fpb111
1. Yes
2. Yes they can "take a set" and become oval/flattened slightly.
3. You could clean everything, lube the oring lightly with silicone or another synthetic grease and retry.
4. If it were mine I would just replace that hose and be done with it.

PM Jason @warehouse33 and see if the orings are available. I think you will have to track one down through another supplier. Measure it and do the Google or try Homedepot type stores, plumbing supply?
FPB111 - UPDATE: I spent a fair amount of time on Saturday removing the bumper, inner fender (plastic part?), and the radiator and cleaned the O-Ring and put 'er all back together. Guess what?! No leaks! What a freak thing. I let it sit and idle until the cooling fans cycled on and off twice, did some revving in the garage, ran the **** out of it on a short circuit (slow driving around town at higher RPM and a short stint on highway) a few times to mimic worst possible conditions for the system and still no leaks. Drove it around for a total of 2 hours today with the bleeder valve open to continue to work the air out of the system, too. Still no leaks! I'M SO HAPPY! Still paranoid and every time I park it (and probably for the near future) I check for spotting on the ground under the passenger rad. Life is good. It took 2 pages on Rennlist but it appears that, with your help, I've solved the issue!

Thank you FPB111, and the rest of the good folks on Rennlist who pitched in with diagnosis/prognosis.

Quick Reply: Radiator Puking - Swap? Hopefully not in over my head!