Sponsored by:

996 TT exhaust tip advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:50 PM
BobH911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 TT exhaust tip advice

I bought a good condition used Fabspeed maxflow exhaust for my new to me 2001 996 TT. The exhaust (with cats) did not come with tips and I figured the stock tips would work but that's not working out so well as they have slightly different diameter and the stock inlet size (with ring) is too small. Am I seeing this wrong somehow, is there a way to get the stock oval tips to work on the lager muffler outlet?

Any recommendations on decent aftermarket (& non fabspeed) tips that will work on a 2.5" OD exhaust pipe? I bought the fabspeed unit used and have no intention of spending over 5 bills for a set of new tips.

The engine is currently out in order to get the water pipes welded. Additional updates include: new clutch & flywheel, new water pump, new coolant tank, new serpentine belt, new water hoses, 2nd gear detent, new insulation pad in engine compartment, and new-to-me Fabspeed maxflow with 200 cel cats (and hopefully tips).
Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Some muffler shops can actually machine the inlet to a wider diameter.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Evan5469
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same style Fabspeed exhaust on mine and had to use a lot of WD-40 to get my stock oval tips to fit. It took a good bit of trying, and a lot of frustration, but they will fit.

I also have a set of Fabspeed X50 tips that came with my exhaust, if you're interested. They're slip on style and can be held on by a band style clamp or welded on if you prefer.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:44 AM
BobH911
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input Kevinmacd and Evan5469. I was thinking the same thing that the stock tips inlet could be expanded a little bit to make it fit, and taking it to a muffler shop may be the easy way to do that.

Perhaps I just have to try harder, and with a lot of WD40 as described. Did you have to remove the inner band (or whatever that inner diameter ring is called) to make it fit on the Fabspeed? I might be interested in your x50 tips, let me know what you're looking for for them.
Thanks.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Evan5469
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bob,

The inner ring/band needs to stay in place within the exhaust tip, otherwise the inlet on the exhaust tip becomes too large to be tightened down to the outlet of the Fabspeed exhaust.

Also, if you're interested in the X50 tips, just cover shipping and they're yours. I don't have enough posts here to send PM's, but you can text me at 41O.294.168two if you'd like me to send you some pictures of the tips and we can go from there.

Quick Reply: 996 TT exhaust tip advice