New 996 Turbo Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-CarGuy
Congrats! Share pics.
KC-CarGuy: I'll get the pics up as soon as the car gets here. Hell, I'll probably take the day off of work to just drive it over there and take a picture, then drive it someplace else, and take a picture, and drive it.... and drive it... more pics... you get the idea!

I take it your rig is white with a black interior? That tuxedo look is really nice!

Cheers,
Old 09-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Therapy996t

It does have a nice ***!
Rear seat backs should always be in the the down position when not occupied. It lowers the center of gravity, improves handling.

Congrats on the new TT.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:44 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Well, thank you for the reply! I'm going to be in the Seattle "area" for Thanksgiving with family. Are there any tracks or tracks you would recommend in the area?

I lucked out with the color combo. I would have bought any of them. It was a screaming deal and probably would have been very recalcitrant about buying sight-unseen if it were not for the seller - Porsche of Tyson's Corner.

I know I'm going to get much more attention than I'd like in North Dakota with this car, but is it more anonymous in Seattle?

Cheers,
Nick

Come to Pacific Raceways with ProFormance school, Don runs a good program.

There is a lot more hardware in Seattle.

These kinda fly under the enthusiast radar until you drive one and know how capable they are in comparison to newer cars that get a lot of play in the media.

A few mods and you can hang with most anything and spank the rest.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 PM
D.K
Intermediate

D.K.: Thank you for the kudos. Yes, it was a pretty good deal. I'm a little nervous about the mileage (101K), but the more I read on the forums, here, the less nervous I am. Also, I'm absolutely not afraid of maintaining it myself. I can handle pretty much anything that isn't ripping into a head or crankcase (catastrophic engine surgery).

Had the same discussion with my wife! Bummer part is that she gets road sick and she threatens to upchuck in the car if I drive it enthusiastically. I guess I'll just have to make sure she gets enough seat time behind the wheel and maybe she'll get over the road-sick! In the end, she did give me her support. I have a high-stress job and it is cheaper than therapy, after all

Cheers,
Nick
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. It looks like it's been taken good care of. In my opinion, it looked much better than the other 996TT they have on their lot with 46K on it. After looking at the pics on that one, I couldn't even bring myself to drive 30 minutes to look in person. I ended up driving 6+ hours away to pick up 1 with 91K and a few mods. I'd rather have a well used car as opposed to a gingerly driven, garage queen any day. Congrats on your purchase again Nick! You got an awesome deal on what looks to be a great car! They can be very therapeutic. I drove mine back to work to straighten out some after-hours work issues, and it was a wonderful feeling...especially with very few people on the road.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Rear seat backs should always be in the the down position when not occupied. It lowers the center of gravity, improves handling.

Congrats on the new TT.
plus unhides the turbo script

congrats on the new car
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Congrats on the new TT.
Noted, about the back seats! Thanks for the kudos.

Cheers,
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Come to Pacific Raceways with ProFormance school, Don runs a good program.

There is a lot more hardware in Seattle.

These kinda fly under the enthusiast radar until you drive one and know how capable they are in comparison to newer cars that get a lot of play in the media.

A few mods and you can hang with most anything and spank the rest.

Looked into Pacific Raceways per your suggestion! Looks like a great spot. I'll need to look into whether it's open on Thanksgiving weekend.

Cheers,
Old 09-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Originally Posted by D.K
I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. It looks like it's been taken good care of. In my opinion, it looked much better than the other 996TT they have on their lot with 46K on it. After looking at the pics on that one, I couldn't even bring myself to drive 30 minutes to look in person. I ended up driving 6+ hours away to pick up 1 with 91K and a few mods. I'd rather have a well used car as opposed to a gingerly driven, garage queen any day. Congrats on your purchase again Nick! You got an awesome deal on what looks to be a great car! They can be very therapeutic. I drove mine back to work to straighten out some after-hours work issues, and it was a wonderful feeling...especially with very few people on the road.
I plan on making mine a daily driver. I have a boring, reliable, personality-less 2012 Ford Fusion (actually it's a pretty likable little car) on the side, as Wife's car. Cars are appliances to her. haha.

It feels like a good deal, but I've never thrown-down for a car like this before; so still a little nervous. Last car I bought with that kind of mileage was a 2001 Jeep Cherokee (loved it). Like I said, the more I read about brave souls like you, the more confidence I have in my own sight-unseen purchase. Thanks. It's pure torture waiting for my new-to-me P-car! Hell, I drove an '01 911 Turbo (also black on black) in Montana last month and it felt great, even though it wasn't in nearly as good of shape as the one from Tysons Corner. They wanted $27K for the one in Montana btw.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. You're going to love driving it. I get my therapy daily... :-D
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear seat backs should always be in the the down position when not occupied. It lowers the center of gravity, improves handling. Congrats on the new TT.
lol, same with the wing while parked... ;-)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I was wondering who got that car. That 996 has been for sale for quite some time. Glad you picked it up and got them to replace the clutch. Looks like a nice car!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, I drove an '01 911 Turbo (also black on black) in Montana last month and it felt great, even though it wasn't in nearly as good of shape as the one from Tysons Corner. They wanted $27K for the one in Montana btw.

Cheers
Was that the one in Helena? I saw the listing and figured there must be something majorly wrong with it...salvage title?
Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 PM
dannysf
Advanced

nice car!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Therapy996t
Advanced

Thought I'd give you guys an update! Porsche of Tysons Corner finished the clutch today and I've decided that I'm going to do a cannonball run - fly down there on Friday the 29th and drive the 30 hours (drive time) back to North Dakota over the weekend. Here are a few photos Tysons Corner emailed over with the engine yanked out:

Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

did they do the coolant pipes while engine is out?

Quick Reply: New 996 Turbo Owner