Coupe vs Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Q's911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe vs Convertible

Hello everyone!

Brand new to the wonderful world of Porsche & currently shopping for a 996TT.

I have noticed that Convertibles are a little less than Coupes.... I would prefer a coupe but is there any downside to having a convertible? The bottom line is I would like to find a nice, low mileage, 100% stock, non-tracked turbo. I intend for this to be my daily driver and keep it for quite some time!

Also, any options that are a must? Any advice is much appreciated...Thanks everyone!
Old 09-10-2016, 03:36 PM
napoleon1981
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the price difference is mainly due to the look. In my opinion the roofline is a defining feature of what a 911 entails. In the convertible this is unfortunately destroyed. If you appreciate the convertible I don't think there is anything wrong with it.
The following users liked this post:
rollandburn (02-18-2021)
Old 09-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

If you want to drive the car with the top up in cold weather, the cab top is a major compromise. If you want to track the car, many clubs will be difficult about it. If you live in a warm place and don't plan to track the car, I think a cab can be awesome.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
If you want to drive the car with the top up in cold weather, the cab top is a major compromise. If you want to track the car, many clubs will be difficult about it. If you live in a warm place and don't plan to track the car, I think a cab can be awesome.
Rick, when did you acquire your '74 Targa?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Rick, when did you acquire your '74 Targa?
End of February...
Old 09-11-2016, 11:27 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

If you want to drive the car with the top up in cold weather, the cab top is a major compromise.
Really please elaborate...no problems here for 12 years, but perhaps you have more experience than me.

There is just nothing like a cab with this much power...:evil grin:

The price differences are seasonal and location dependent.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:40 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

End of February...
What engine is in it?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Q's911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in OR, so the more I think about it the more I lean towards a coupe....just really good deals to be had with cabs!

8 months of the year here is rain but the other 4 months of perfect sunny weather with the top down would be sweet! Just not sure it's worth it. If I did go cab I would need to buy a hard top...any idea how much those run....Are they heavy....pain to store?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:21 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Really please elaborate...no problems here for 12 years, but perhaps you have more experience than me.

I agree - the top seals perfect and is no problem in cold weather. You can always put a hard top on and have the best of both worlds. My opinion only - I had an 01 TT coupe and now I have an 04 TT cab - the convertible makes it 100x more enjoyable.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:52 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

What engine is in it?
Stock 2.7, non-s
Old 09-11-2016, 12:54 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt

Cabrios and targas give up rigidity to fixed roof cars, so if you plan on doing a lot of driving with the top on, you might be better off with a coupe, my 2 cents.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:30 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Stock 2.7, non-s
Is it the original 2.7? If yes, that is quite a find. There are too many of those left.

How is the body, rust?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Q's911
Hello everyone!

Brand new to the wonderful world of Porsche & currently shopping for a 996TT.

I have noticed that Convertibles are a little less than Coupes.... I would prefer a coupe but is there any downside to having a convertible? The bottom line is I would like to find a nice, low mileage, 100% stock, non-tracked turbo. I intend for this to be my daily driver and keep it for quite some time!

Also, any options that are a must? Any advice is much appreciated...Thanks everyone!
If you would prefer a coupe my advice is to get a coupe.

No Turbo Cab experience but I've lived with a 2002 Boxster since Jan 2002.

The downside to owning a convertible is mainly the soft top. If you use it there is the issue of the hardware wearing out or breaking.

Also, whether you lower/raise the top or leave it up all the time the top will degrade and at some point leak.

I stopped putting the top down on my Boxster not long after I bought the car. Just not that big of a fan of top down driving. I mainly wanted the Boxster because of its mid-engine layout and its front/rear trunk space.

Still the rear window cracked when I for some reason decided to lower the top. New rear window cost me $600.

Within the last year I guess the top started leaking. A new top cost $1400 installed. I suspect a new Cab top would cost more.

The Boxster is a rather rigid car and I don't think I give up anything in this regard. I have never driven a Turbo Cab so I don't know how the Turbo Cab feels.

For must have options, you live in Oregon, and so I imagine lots of rain. Thus I would like the rain sensing wipers. I have this option on my Turbo and it makes driving in the rain less a bother. The Boxster with its limited wiper control I'm contantly have to adjust/play with the wipers all the time as the rain and spray come and go.

I think Bi-Xenon lights are standard. These are great lights and especially out in the urban areas away from street lighting.

Both of my cars have the auto-climate control system. This is a nice setup. Set the cabin temperature to say 72F and forget. The auto climate system keeps the cabin at 72F in my experience when driving east from the bay area with the temperature in the mid-80's in the bay area to the 90's in the central valley and across I-40 to AZ and then down to 19F in Flagstaff and after leaving Flagstaff and heading east into TX and south to a very wet and muggy Fredericksburg TX. Through all those different climates and weather -- dry almost all the way until not too far from final destination when I hit some big rain -- the auto climate keep the cabin temperature at the set temperature and the cabin air dry without the need to touch the controls any.

At other times I have driven the Turbo through AZ in 118F ambient temperature and the cabin temperature was 72F and the A/C was hardly working. Fan speed was less than half speed. Nice.

The auto dimming mirrors are nice too.

I don't use the radio/stereo enough to care what's in the car.

My Turbo came sans any NAV system. I don't miss it. I use a Garmin when I travel.

My Turbo has the seat memory which I don't really need but can come in handy if you share the car with say your wife.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Is it the original 2.7? If yes, that is quite a find. There are too many of those left.

How is the body, rust?
Yup, numbers matching. straight body, no rust, california blue plates car. Highly imperfect in several other ways though. Heat exchangers are on their last breath. Gauges need to be sent to North Hollywood. Door pockets are shot, sun visors are puffy, the driver seat just puked on me the other day. Repaint is ok but not great.

[OP: Sorry for the hijack!]
Old 09-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yup, numbers matching. straight body, no rust, california blue plates car. Highly imperfect in several other ways though. Heat exchangers are on their last breath. Gauges need to be sent to North Hollywood. Door pockets are shot, sun visors are puffy, the driver seat just puked on me the other day. Repaint is ok but not great.

[OP: Sorry for the hijack!]
Looks great. To find an original 2.7 engine is almost unheard of. Most grenaded and were replaced with a 3.0 or 3.2. And no rust body on top of it is even more rare. I remember you saying you wanted an older air cooled to drive. It sounds perfect for that. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Coupe vs Convertible