Another BMW owner(past)

Me = e46 325iT 5MT -> E90 M3 6MT -> E36 M3 5MT -> 996TT 6MT

Good luck on your search
Thank you
Old 08-30-2016, 11:07 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but if you thought you put a lot of money into your M3, be prepared to be shocked with how much you can put into a Porsche. haha
Old 08-31-2016, 12:05 AM
Natethegreat
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clsund1
Welcome. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but if you thought you put a lot of money into your M3, be prepared to be shocked with how much you can put into a Porsche. haha
Already get the feeling lol. Like anything nice. You want to keep it nice? You pay for it
Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 AM
Yinzer
Advanced

What should one budget a year for maintenance on a 996tt? Or at least, what are you guys budgeting?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Yinzer
What should one budget a year for maintenance on a 996tt? Or at least, what are you guys budgeting?

The answer is "it depends''

Depending on how well the car is sorted (or not sorted) the first year of ownership can be a little expensive when getting the car right --PPIs always seem to miss something.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yinzer
I'm in the same spot as you, learning from the forum and waiting to let the right one in.

Some people say $8-10k, others say $2k. Sounds like it depends greatly on the previous owners and their use of the car, PPI, etc. I'd like to think that if I found the right 996TT, I'd come in around the $2k, but there is uncertainty regardless. I get a little unnerved by the numerous ads I've seen proudly proclaiming that "$10k in maintenance just completed," but in fairness I think some of those are new owners who've had it less than a year and are getting cold feet from the price of admission.

Still, a 996 with the IMS remediated, or 997 might have less cost uncertainty...still researching that though!
Old 08-31-2016, 02:17 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As Road King pointed out, it depends on the condition of the car when you buy it. How many things need to be fixed or how much deferred maintenance is needed. The budget will also depend on how much of the work you're willing to do yourself. Of course, the more you are willing/able to do, the more you save...but then how much do you want to upgrade the car. Now that's the $$ question. Upgrades can get pricey fast.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:54 PM
Yinzer
Advanced

Id keep it stock. When the time is right, was hoping to budget 2k a year. If i cant add this car before my current lease is up, then after that ill just try to find a cpo C2.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Natethegreat
Track Day

Yeah it seems around same price for an e46 m3. I am about to purchase at least 2k possibly this winter to do my rod bearings, vanos, and subframe. All DIY and I like to do it by myself because I learn and it is cheaper.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a minor/annual service and a major since I bought it two years ago and cost has been 3k in total. I just fill it up and drive
Old 08-31-2016, 05:06 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

The PPI caught a few things like CV boots, a pinion seal etc so the previous owner paid to get all that work done, it wasn't a lot, maybe $1500ish in total. But I didn't have to cough up that dough, which was nice.

My car was bone stock and at 45K miles it needed a new coil (was having a missfire at high load higher rpm), so I had my indy shop do spark plugs and the upgraded coils. Also did a fuel filter at the same time. at 47K miles the rad overflow started to leak (it was really yellowing) so got that done as well.

While I'm not opposed to wrenching I have very little free time to drive let alone tinker right now so I had my local indy shop do all the work.

So in terms of dollars, most cars that were well maintained will probably need a few grand...

That being said, if any of you prospective 996 Turbo buyers are concerned about a few grand here and there and are concerned about having to 'budget' money for repairs and/or maintenance, then perhaps a 15 year old out of warranty German car isn't the right choice...

I also spent some dough on a Kline exhaust, tune, sway bars, shifter, and wheels, but that was really to personalize the car...mods aren't exactly cheap, but they sure did change the driving experience. What a great car, I have no regrets...life's short after all.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:30 PM
Yinzer
Advanced

Ive leased my past few cars, so ive had basically $0 out of pocket money excluding oil and tires. Im fine if things need fixed i just dont want a blown engine or something crazy like that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future 996 Turbo Owner?