Sponsored by:

Time for a repaint

Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Time for a repaint

Starting to plan a repaint. 2003 Arctic Silver with 120,000 kms. Car has seen a lot of track time (lots of road rash) and my wife side swiped it with her Subaru about 3 months ago so it needs so minor surgery.

All that to say, I am not concerned about originality. Arctic Silver is very common, so am thinking maybe Polar Silver instead. Am also thinking of going with a different colour possibly non-Porsche. For example I have a 2015 Lexus that has a silver that changes colour depending on the light which I really like.

Any advice and ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Starting to plan a repaint. 2003 Arctic Silver with 120,000 kms. Car has seen a lot of track time (lots of road rash) and my wife side swiped it with her Subaru about 3 months ago so it needs so minor surgery. All that to say, I am not concerned about originality. Arctic Silver is very common, so am thinking maybe Polar Silver instead. Am also thinking of going with a different colour possibly non-Porsche. For example I have a 2015 Lexus that has a silver that changes colour depending on the light which I really like. Any advice and ideas would be appreciated.
I am partial to polar silver. I just can't get over how notice it looks on these cars. I love waxing mine. The shine and the color is outstanding.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I say plum crazy purple

Old 08-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Starting to plan a repaint. 2003 Arctic Silver with 120,000 kms. Car has seen a lot of track time (lots of road rash) and my wife side swiped it with her Subaru about 3 months ago so it needs so minor surgery.

All that to say, I am not concerned about originality. Arctic Silver is very common, so am thinking maybe Polar Silver instead. Am also thinking of going with a different colour possibly non-Porsche. For example I have a 2015 Lexus that has a silver that changes colour depending on the light which I really like.

Any advice and ideas would be appreciated.
For a car that sees lots of track time seems to be a waste of money to do a full repaint.

Might be worth it to have the place where your dear wife side-swiped the car sorted but beyond that the money you would spend on paint might be better held in reserve for use in keeping the mechanicals up to snuff.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:42 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thanks Macster.

The damage she did spans the front fender to the rear fender and everything in between. Somehow she missed the mirror, but managed to hit every panel and even chipped the paint on the rear wheel. Given how hard it is to match silver, the shop suggested a full respray to capture all the damage and the road rash on the bumper and hood.

Also from a mechanical perspective have done clutch and flywheel, suspension and a number of other smaller items. Brakes have a ton of life left in them.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:45 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

And it was previous owners who tracked it. Mine might see 1 event per year. Will do a wrap on the front end to prevent further damage
Old 08-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Why don't you do a beautiful classic 911 color. Irish green, moss green, desert beige, cashmere beige, bitter chocolate, aubergine, gulf blue, gemini blue, and whatever that shade of orange was called in the early 70s.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 for gulf blue.

Bonus points for incorporating the orange contrasts.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Signal Green
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 281 Posts

Arctic silver to polar silver will hardly be any different at all. Go for a wild color that's out of the ordinary.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I say keep it the same color. I doubt if you change the color, they will be able to get inside the door jams etc, unless you are going to pay for a full refurb?
Old 08-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Why don't you do a beautiful classic 911 color. Irish green, moss green, desert beige, cashmere beige, bitter chocolate, aubergine, gulf blue, gemini blue, and whatever that shade of orange was called in the early 70s.
Yes. +1.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:50 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stick with original color unless your willing to pay for complete jambs-engine bay etc. .
Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I got very close to buying this car last year. It is a BMW color, similar to Porsche's Cobalt Blue. Over black interior, I think it is stunning. Not too crazy about the 997 lower front bumper cover, but loved the color change. The car was previously arctic silver and had been badly keyed, necessitating the repaint. The seller was bored with silver.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks Macster.

The damage she did spans the front fender to the rear fender and everything in between. Somehow she missed the mirror, but managed to hit every panel and even chipped the paint on the rear wheel. Given how hard it is to match silver, the shop suggested a full respray to capture all the damage and the road rash on the bumper and hood.

Also from a mechanical perspective have done clutch and flywheel, suspension and a number of other smaller items. Brakes have a ton of life left in them.
My info is arctic silver can be a bit hard to match. My body shop buddy told me the size/shape of the metal flake in the paint is determined when the paint is made so using the same brand of paint Porsche uses should have the same metal flake. (Standox, Spies-Hecker, and there's a 3rd, the name escapes me, but all are I think made by DuPont.)

But the orientation of the flakes is dependent upon the temperature, humidity and who knows what else, but a good paint shop can get the paint real close. Adjacent panels can be blended so the eye doesn't see the paint change at the body panel gap and the change across the panel is too subtle to be picked up by the eye.

If you go away from a silver or go to a lighter color you are looking at a pretty expensive paint job if it is done right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time for a repaint