996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question for those of you that converted to the GT2 slave cylinder

Old 08-26-2016, 01:53 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quick question for those of you that converted to the GT2 slave cylinder

I have a bad accumulator which I'll be changing soon. But before I do, I'm considering the GT2 slave cylinder conversion.

Is the clutch pedal effort eaiser or the same as in a turbo car where the accumulator as failed with the engine being off?

Meaning, when I get in my car now before I turn the engine on, the clutch is very stiff. Does the conversion make the pedal effort as stiff as this or is is softer, ie. somewhere in between stock effort and this condition?

I've read many descriptions, but no one has ever compared it to this condition which I think would help.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My recollection is that the failed accumulator condition was stiffer than a properly setup GT2 slave cylinder conversion, but it could just be that I'm used to the new setup at this point. Make no mistake, the GT2 clutch setup is significantly stiffer than the stock Turbo. I'd recommend finding a specimen to sample if you're on the fence.

If you convert to the GT2 setup, make sure to thoroughly flush every last molecule of Pentosin out of the system, as it will attack the rubber seals of the GT2 slave. Ask me how I know.

-V
Old 08-26-2016, 03:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Isn't the GT2 conversion more expensive to do then just fixing the accumulator?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:28 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

The GT2 conversion is not as stiff as a failed accumulator and it is MUCH more predictable. No question if I had to do again I would do the conversion.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:59 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

conversion is more expensive than just failed accumulator, but I'm told (and I suspect) that my slave cylinder is on the way out or soon to go as well.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Lucid Moment
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vendetta NY
My recollection is that the failed accumulator condition was stiffer than a properly setup GT2 slave cylinder conversion, but it could just be that I'm used to the new setup at this point. Make no mistake, the GT2 clutch setup is significantly stiffer than the stock Turbo. I'd recommend finding a specimen to sample if you're on the fence.

If you convert to the GT2 setup, make sure to thoroughly flush every last molecule of Pentosin out of the system, as it will attack the rubber seals of the GT2 slave. Ask me how I know.

-V
This is very true. Shop forgot I had gt2 slave, added pentosin. Results new parts.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:00 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucid Moment
This is very true. Shop forgot I had gt2 slave, added pentosin. Results new parts.
best way to avoid thois is the 5$ dot 4 cap on the reservoir

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick question for those of you that converted to the GT2 slave cylinder