Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 08:21 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
in canadian dollars, eh? plus 14,000.00 CDN in labor

ok, i see the error of my ways lol
Things are much more expensive in canada. Pads and Rotors cost me almost $1000 a corner all done. I put a PSS10 suspension with some fancy GT3 LCA and cup car toe links in and that added up to $12k all done.

My alternator was about $700 all done.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Things are much more expensive in canada. Pads and Rotors cost me almost $1000 a corner all done. I put a PSS10 suspension with some fancy GT3 LCA and cup car toe links in and that added up to $12k all done.

My alternator was about $700 all done.

if im looking at the bills correctly it seems it's 25,000$ for the parts alone.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Things are much more expensive in canada.
i'm beginning to see that.

i bet the also have a different set of standards/criteria as to what dollar value for repair does/does not constitute a "total loss", from an insurance payout perspective.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:04 AM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i'm beginning to see that.

i bet the also have a different set of standards/criteria as to what dollar value for repair does/does not constitute a "total loss", from an insurance payout perspective.
Small light hits on either the front or the back of these cars will add up quickly. While that collision isn't really bad,it is expensive. I am glad to see you found the error in your ways lol. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that car for that price, as it looks cosmetic.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:09 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Generally insurance will fix it up here if repairs are below 70% value. With these type of cars they are usually nervous about the unknown which could put them over the 70%.
Bio: pads and rotors should not cost anywhere near 1k per corner. you can do much better sourcing parts in US. That sounds like stealer pricing
Old 02-10-2017, 11:39 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cdk4219
Small light hits on either the front or the back of these cars will add up quickly. While that collision isn't really bad,it is expensive. I am glad to see you found the error in your ways lol. I wouldn't hesitate to buy that car for that price, as it looks cosmetic.
the error of my ways was merely based upon the US to CDN conversion

i had a small front hit that resulted in a total loss payout, so i'm not without some measure of experience with being hit and being paid lol

that said? i agree and would buy it also.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:23 AM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My take on this (having just bought one in the summer, living in Toronto, and having purchased accident damage cars in the past) is walk away. Any chassis damage or repairs that require welding you will never be sure how good the repair was performed. Structural integrity is more than just measurements. There's also the issue of rust. There are just so many other cars out there without accident damage.
Regarding purchasing now... there will be many more cars that come available in the spring, so wait and be patient. People selling now are trying to get ahead of the curve and are waiting for the warm weather so their prices are as high as spring weather, and they are patient (ie. not willing to be as flexible on the price as they know spring is coming). Impatience will be your downfall, especially if you are OCD as you will be willing to settle for less. Even if there was no accident damage, the price would be in the right range (several cars here going for that with big hp mods. So be patient. The right one will come along.

Regarding maintenance and condition, listen to everything said here. The spoiler, if never looked at before, is at least $1500-2000. I had my alternator die on me a month after purchase (ppi said charging and battery were fine). Any number of things can happen. Tuck away some funds for contingency. Unless every single wear part mentioned above (including spoiler) has been changed, assume at some point it will need to be in the next 5 years and set money aside for it. It may never happen, but if it does, you'll be able to deal with it.

Having said all that, these are truly amazing cars. I feel lucky everytime I look at it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Need a little advice before buying 996tt