Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little advice before buying 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the future buyer sees you as an enthusiast who knows the car inside and out because of all the maintenance you've completed yourself, I would see that as a positive thing. It shows you care about the car.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:05 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

For the car you've mentioned. You prefer stock so that adds value to the car for you, but no big maintenance completed should give you bargaining room since what you might have coming due is pretty expensive.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owner of the car I had been looking at for months has decided he doesn't want to sell it anymore, so the search continues...

I found a very clean 2001 6 spd Midnight blue on black with 120,000km. Has suspension, exhaust and a tune. Only problem is that it had a bit of a run in with a curb and a sign post back in 2009. Car was repaired at the local Porsche dealer with the bill totaling 30k. It looks like the job was done to a very high standard and many things were replaced on the car even though they didn't sustain damage from te accident (Both headlight and both front fenders). I have looked through the bills from the dealer and there was no issues with the chassis other than the spare tire tub being replaced. The car has since been inspected at another Porsche dealer and they checked all the chassis measurements and all of the gaps as well as inspecting all the areas that were addressed during the repair and they claim the car is perfect.

My main concern is that any future buyers will turn and run when they see a 30,000$ repair on the car fax, even though it has been repaired to the highest standards.

I would really appreciate some input from the experts here..
Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

that must have been one helluva signpost. don't know in what state that accident occurred? but in CA that $ figure would exceed the usual and/or maximum 60% of value and invoke the "car is totalled" payout. i had an estimate for a previous tt for repairs in that $ range and i didn't even get to question it. had a check within days ( before i changed my mind, i'm sure ).

you're looking for "clean" and that one isn't "it".
Old 02-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
that must have been one helluva signpost. don't know in what state that accident occurred? but in CA that $ figure would exceed the usual and/or maximum 60% of value and invoke the "car is totalled" payout. i had an estimate for a previous tt for repairs in that $ range and i didn't even get to question it. had a check within days ( before i changed my mind, i'm sure ).

you're looking for "clean" and that one isn't "it".

I should mention that this in Canada so all figures are CAD. And I should mention that he is asking 47,000$ for the car so roughly 35,000 USD.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike72
I should mention that this in Canada so all figures are CAD. And I should mention that he is asking 47,000$ for the car so roughly 35,000 USD.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

very clean "looking" 35k car!

Originally Posted by Mike72
it could be a great buy. but the resale value will, as you say, most likely be affected by that repair. unless one was looking for a track car, one to mod, or one they aren't concerned about resale values down the road. GL in the continuing search if this one isn't it. though it could well be, at 35k!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
very clean "looking" 35k car!

it could be a great buy. but the resale value will, as you say, most likely be affected by that repair. unless one was looking for a track car, one to mod, or one they aren't concerned about resale values down the road. GL in the continuing search if this one isn't it. though it could well be, at 35k!
The seller is very open about everything and has no issue with me taking the car to wherever I would like for a PPI. I am quite confident that the car is as good as before the incident and won't cause me any issues. I am just unsure of what a "fair" price would be given the 30,000$ repair attached to it...
Old 02-08-2017, 12:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

probably his asking price provided it has as you say been repaired properly and to spec.

only way it could be *cheaper* would be if it had a salvaged title.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:55 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Are you buying the car to drive it or for the potential resale? I know potential resale is usually a consideration, but If you plan on keeping the car and putting a ton of mileage on it, maybe track time, this is a great example. If the accident happened in 2009, and there's no issues with it now, there likely won't be any that surface later on.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Going by how clean and tidy that garage is I would say that car was repaired properly. Very properly.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Going by how clean and tidy that garage is I would say that car was repaired properly. Very properly.
Yes, it seems to have been done with no expense spared. As the current owner explained to me, when repairs are done at a Porsche dealer, they want the car to leave looking like a brand new vehicle which is why they replace parts that aren't even damaged i.e. The headlights @ 3100$ each. Because a brand new painted bumper just wouldn't look good with headlights that are less than perfect...
Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Are you buying the car to drive it or for the potential resale? I know potential resale is usually a consideration, but If you plan on keeping the car and putting a ton of mileage on it, maybe track time, this is a great example. If the accident happened in 2009, and there's no issues with it now, there likely won't be any that surface later on.
I am most certainly buying he car to drive but most definitely pay close attention to resale value. I just don't want a surprise 3,4,10 years down the road or whenever I may sell it. It is very easy to figure out value on a car which has never had any incidents. It is much more difficult to determine value on a car with a costly repair on its car fax.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I have never seen an enthusiasts garage that barren.

Don't kid yourself, the car may have been repaired well but it is not as good as when left factory. Porsche buyers are very picky when purchasing and will not like the accident history. I would deduct at least 1/3 value for a car with that extensive accident. Have you seen pictures before the repair? Does the owner have full service history? What are the over revs like? Unless you can't afford a non accident car I would pass on this repaired car.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I have never seen an enthusiasts garage that barren.

Don't kid yourself, the car may have been repaired well but it is not as good as when left factory. Porsche buyers are very picky when purchasing and will not like the accident history. I would deduct at least 1/3 value for a car with that extensive accident. Have you seen pictures before the repair? Does the owner have full service history? What are the over revs like? Unless you can't afford a non accident car I would pass on this repaired car.
He does have the full service history. I would get the over revs if I did a PPI, he was unsure when I asked him. Here is a picture from before the repair.

Quick Reply: Need a little advice before buying 996tt