Sponsored by:

Need a little advice before buying 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gophaster
A lot of schools of thought on reading DME reports. I think one thing that there is a consensus on is the amount of time since the last type2....at hour 972 vs total 2764 that's a pretty long while since the last type2.

There are a couple threads around regarding over revs and you can figure out where you are comfortable.
I have read a lot of them and my brain is going to explode..... I don't think there is any cause for concern here.

Now trying to decided if I should have a compression test done on the car. It runs and drives excellent and the tech who test drove the car made no mention of any issues (lack of power, poor idle, vibration, etc...). There have been no recorded misfires on the DME report and I assume that is covering the entire life of the car. With the extreme rarity of engine issues with the 996 turbo is it really necessary to have a compression check.

(important note: I am extreme OCD and sometimes ignorance is bliss when it comes to my cars and my sanity. So if I saw one cylinder even slightly lower than another I would likely loose sleep at night)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:54 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like you have found a solid and documented car, and you have done your homework. There isn't any way to be 100% certain you won't have any issues down the road. These cars have strong engines and should last a very long time if maintained properly. I don't think too many guys have done compression &/or leak down tests as part of their ppi's unless there is an actual issue with the way the car runs. Only you can make the final decision...good luck!!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:10 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Concur with everything gophaster said. No problem with that overrev report.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

85k ... with coolant build .... like new!

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...764-miles.html
Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for it! Wow, you certainly did your due diligence! I bought my 996tt sight unseen, no ppi over three years ago and it's been bullet proof. Granted it was at a very reputable Porsche dealership and they did their own PPI but these cars are very reliable.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:34 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The front suspension is most likely upper strut mounts if sqeeky, if more clunky I would suspect a endlink. Regardless, I would like to say that PPI is usually just to point out problems not diagnose them. Generally speaking, I will diagnose something in the suspension on a PPi. However, more complicated issues are certainly going to require additional diagnostic cost. Just remember that diagnositic work is the most expensive work for any shop. The cost to pay the top techs using the most expensive equipment is a great expense for top shops to provide. That being said finding a su pension noise is usually not falling into this catagory.

Also, sounds like a nice car I suggest talking to the actual tech who did the work and not just the service writer. They will usually be your best source for an overall opinion.

Your Pal
Fishey
Old 09-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Ofcourse just as I am about to pull the trigger on this 01, a new ad pops up in my area for a 2002 Lapis blue on savanna beige turbo with only 35,000km. Asking price is less than 10,000 Canadian more than the 01. Car is originally from NY and had seen some track use. Mostly stock with some RSS front suspension components. Not as well documented as the 01 but certainly tempting with 100,000 less km. I like the Lapis blue but not sure how I feel about the full beige interior. Do you think the 2002 is a better bet in the short or long term?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike72
Ofcourse just as I am about to pull the trigger on this 01, a new ad pops up in my area for a 2002 Lapis blue on savanna beige turbo with only 35,000km. Asking price is less than 10,000 Canadian more than the 01. Car is originally from NY and had seen some track use. Mostly stock with some RSS front suspension components. Not as well documented as the 01 but certainly tempting with 100,000 less km. I like the Lapis blue but not sure how I feel about the full beige interior. Do you think the 2002 is a better bet in the short or long term?
Lapis blue is a great color. My Boxster is that color. The beige interior gets mixed opinions. One knock I've read about light interiors is they seem to result in more reflection in the car's windshield which to some people is offputting. My Turbo has black interior but my Boxster has that neutral grey interior but I do not experience any problem with the reflection of the interior off the windshield.

The general rule of used car buying -- one of many general rules -- is all other things being equal newer is better. Thus the 2002 is "better" than the 2001.

But used car buyers are primarily concerned with price and condition, condition and price, so you have to weigh those factors into your decision.

It is probably just me but I'm always a bit leery to read of a car that has some mods -- body or suspension -- confined to just one end. It seems like the first thing on many an owner's mind if the car is involved in an accident is using the accident repair as an opportunity to add some mod's. A full set of say coil overs doesn't bother me but coming upon just some after market suspension parts at in the case of this car at the front end...

Just be sure you give the car a thorough road test and after get it in the air and give that underneath a careful inspection for any sign of accident damage/repair, along with a check for all the other things one has to check for while the car is in the air.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
Lapis blue is a great color. My Boxster is that color. The beige interior gets mixed opinions. One knock I've read about light interiors is they seem to result in more reflection in the car's windshield which to some people is offputting. My Turbo has black interior but my Boxster has that neutral grey interior but I do not experience any problem with the reflection of the interior off the windshield.

The general rule of used car buying -- one of many general rules -- is all other things being equal newer is better. Thus the 2002 is "better" than the 2001.

But used car buyers are primarily concerned with price and condition, condition and price, so you have to weigh those factors into your decision.

It is probably just me but I'm always a bit leery to read of a car that has some mods -- body or suspension -- confined to just one end. It seems like the first thing on many an owner's mind if the car is involved in an accident is using the accident repair as an opportunity to add some mod's. A full set of say coil overs doesn't bother me but coming upon just some after market suspension parts at in the case of this car at the front end...

Just be sure you give the car a thorough road test and after get it in the air and give that underneath a careful inspection for any sign of accident damage/repair, along with a check for all the other things one has to check for while the car is in the air.
The car has had the front bumper and hood painted, this raises questions for me as with only 35,000 km you wouldn't expect too many stone chips....
Old 09-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

The car has had the front bumper and hood painted, this raises questions for me as with only 35,000 km you wouldn't expect too many stone chips....
Track use yields many stone chips.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 09-14-2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Mike72
Instructor

Well the Lapis blue car sold before I had a chance to take a look at it and I can't seem to come to an agreement on the price for the 01. I was hoping to get 1-2k knocked of the price to help cover the rear bumper paint and the control arms that require replacement but he won't budge. I would likely just pay the full asking price but I just can't seem to get over the fact that the coolant was almost 1 liter low. I understand it is likely from not being properly filled after the engine out service but that makes me question the quality of the rest of the engine out work.....Looks like the search continues.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Well the Lapis blue car sold before I had a chance to take a look at it and I can't seem to come to an agreement on the price for the 01. I was hoping to get 1-2k knocked of the price to help cover the rear bumper paint and the control arms that require replacement but he won't budge. I would likely just pay the full asking price but I just can't seem to get over the fact that the coolant was almost 1 liter low. I understand it is likely from not being properly filled after the engine out service but that makes me question the quality of the rest of the engine out work.....Looks like the search continues.
A liter low can be do to a leaking coolant cap. I had this problem with my Boxster.

Warning light came on. First time ever. Filled the tank -- took more than a liter, almost a gallon of distilled water -- and within a month the level was low enough to turn on the warning light.

I did the trick with the tent of alum. foil and found condensation under the foil. Replaced the cap with a newer version (part # ending in "02" IIRC) and that was that.

I can't remember now if the Turbo manifested a low coolant warning or I spotted the level getting low but I do remember I replaced the cap with a new one. The level remained good.

Still it bothers me the seller can't be bothered to at least top up the vital fluids even if it requires adding a liter or so of distilled water.

'course, maybe he has but the level drops every test drive?

Regardless I'd be very leery of this car. The low coolant level and the seller's letting it be shown that way does not make a good first impression to me.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
A liter low can be do to a leaking coolant cap. I had this problem with my Boxster.

Warning light came on. First time ever. Filled the tank -- took more than a liter, almost a gallon of distilled water -- and within a month the level was low enough to turn on the warning light.

I did the trick with the tent of alum. foil and found condensation under the foil. Replaced the cap with a newer version (part # ending in "02" IIRC) and that was that.

I can't remember now if the Turbo manifested a low coolant warning or I spotted the level getting low but I do remember I replaced the cap with a new one. The level remained good.

Still it bothers me the seller can't be bothered to at least top up the vital fluids even if it requires adding a liter or so of distilled water.

'course, maybe he has but the level drops every test drive?

Regardless I'd be very leery of this car. The low coolant level and the seller's letting it be shown that way does not make a good first impression to me.
I'm the type of owner who could tell you exactly what level every fluid of the car is at without looking so it was a little disturbing to see that. I would like to find a car owned by someone as OCD as myself, may take a while though..
Old 09-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Mike72
Instructor

Found another candidate car here. 2003 with 48,000 miles. Arctic silver on black. Imported from US in 2006 by current owner, had 5000 miles on it at the time it was imported. Doesn't have much maintenance history because he hasn't really had anything break. Just oil changes and into the dealer for an issue with the alarm. Car is 100% original including clutch and brakes. Selling because he just got a new 911. I realize that there are some things that the car will need and I'm actually happy that none of it has been done yet as I will have the very long Montreal winter to take care of everything it needs. I do all my own maintenance to my cars and wouldn't hesitate to drop the motor and tranny to do coolant pipes, clutch, flywheel, plugs, coil packs etc.... Will it been seen as a negative to a future potential buyer that I have carried out the big maintenance items myself??
Old 09-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Yinzer
Advanced

Found another candidate car here. 2003 with 48,000 miles. Arctic silver on black. Imported from US in 2006 by current owner, had 5000 miles on it at the time it was imported. Doesn't have much maintenance history because he hasn't really had anything break. Just oil changes and into the dealer for an issue with the alarm. Car is 100% original including clutch and brakes. Selling because he just got a new 911. I realize that there are some things that the car will need and I'm actually happy that none of it has been done yet as I will have the very long Montreal winter to take care of everything it needs. I do all my own maintenance to my cars and wouldn't hesitate to drop the motor and tranny to do coolant pipes, clutch, flywheel, plugs, coil packs etc.... Will it been seen as a negative to a future potential buyer that I have carried out the big maintenance items myself??
I dont think as long as its properly documented.

Quick Reply: Need a little advice before buying 996tt