Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are 996TT prices all over the place/so many?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by drcheap
Found two 2001s at $40K. One had a ppi just done by an indy garage that I respect. Lots of TTs for sale, but seem to not be selling, even at tHese lower prices. Just wonderin'
The ones not selling don't have the IMS upgrade. Stay away.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
The ones not selling don't have the IMS upgrade. Stay away.
Maybe I missed the joke, but the Turbo engine doesn't have the same IMS setup as the N/A 3.6l engine and thus doesn't need the IMSB (for bearing) upgrade.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:02 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Maybe I missed the joke, but the Turbo engine doesn't have the same IMS setup as the N/A 3.6l engine and thus doesn't need the IMSB (for bearing) upgrade.

Indeed you did.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:12 AM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

Can we do a sticky "no pricing questions" listing. Each car is potentially worth what the seller asks for but is only worth what someone will pay it for.

There are too many options to begin to answer "why all over the place". If you are buying, just watch for one that you feel is under priced. If you are selling, try to get all you can for it.

Oh - drive the one you have and enjoy it!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:12 PM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

To throw a non joke answer in, the older these cars get the more price delta there will be between well kept low mile nice cars and older model year toys that have bounced from owner to owner. I also support a sticky post but figure the sticky should be the price thread to end all price threads rather than just a notice saying not to post one. That way people have a one stop shop to discuss this rather than making a new thread each time (probably goes for engine oil posts too).
Old 08-07-2016, 07:13 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive decided to shelve mods on the turbo for the time being because I never received the RL stickers I was promised upon buying in as a member here.. instead I'm going to full on modding of the DRZ. have a new keihn side draft carb headed my way for an additional 4-5hp.. can't wait to install it & ride some.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whaaaa...

I understood all the other jokes, but this one's left me scratching my head. Or isit meant seriously
Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 PM
drcheap
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the Dunning-Kruger effect
Old 01-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Leadingedge
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=docboy;13499928]Your screen name suggests you may be beyond frugal, which is ok in real life, but doesn't really work in the Porsche world. The 996tt were well over $120k-130k when new, and parts/labor reflect that.

Hahahaha, "Your screen name suggests you may...."
Just stumbled on this thread and this was hilarious.
Lol, Drcheap.... priceless!
Old 01-24-2017, 12:26 PM
centexsi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get the bargain car, I went that route (I went ***** deep and bought it sight unseen other than pictures) thinking I could fix everything since I own a shop but it ended up costing alot more than I planned for. I've already spend $10k+ on mine (and thats wholesale parts and labor, an a lot of DIY) with more to do. Looking back, I wish I would have bought a well sorted one to start with. Be wary of the cheap ones!
Old 01-24-2017, 01:30 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by centexsi
Don't get the bargain car, I went that route (I went ***** deep and bought it sight unseen other than pictures) thinking I could fix everything since I own a shop but it ended up costing alot more than I planned for. I've already spend $10k+ on mine (and thats wholesale parts and labor, an a lot of DIY) with more to do. Looking back, I wish I would have bought a well sorted one to start with. Be wary of the cheap ones!
Good advice here. I've been in the market looking for a full bolt on black/black 996TT. I've received PMs on cars of all kinds, unfortunately majority were not black, but this is what I've pieced together from asking prices

Model 1: Basic bolt on car (exhaust/tune) with average miles (30-50k) usually in the mid to high 40's

Model 2: Full bolt on car (exhaust, tune, clutch, turbos, etc) with average miles (30-50K) usually in the low to mid 50's

Model 3: Full built cars (all of model 2 + motor work) with average miles (30-50K) usually high 50's low 60's

Sure, you can find some "deals" out there. Maybe a higher mileage car in the high 30's, low 40's but to his point above, in the end, you are getting what you pay for.

Right now, I actually found a car, full bolt ons (K24/68HTA turbos, headers, intake, IC, Unobtanium exhaust, tune from Markski, Sharkswerks clutch kit, Bilstein coilovers, etc.) with 40k miles and he's looking to get $55K. Perhaps asking price is high, but his responses to my questions have been thoughtful and detailed, not one line answers. That is one thing a lot of people don't seem to consider when buying a car. The owners play a big role in who I purchase from and can tell you a lot of how the car has been handled/taken care of.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:42 PM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 502 Posts

Right now it's a sellers market. WE dictate the pricing cause we also don't HAVE to sell. People who are making fire sales or have to sell usually have reasoning behind to do so. These cars are by no means cheap to service and maintain and the sellers that are holding out aren't doing so in any sense of desperation to sell. Market pricing has also been on the rise for the past 2 years, and now that 997tt pricing has bottomed out they def will only be going up a tiny bit more.

The built motor cars are not readily avail for sale but it should be noted the one for sale for $60k is/was a salvaged car that was repaired. Clean, few owner cars that are well maintained and under 60-70k miles, yes are commanding $50k +

Quick Reply: Why are 996TT prices all over the place/so many?