Sponsored by:

I was offer a trade - 996TT to 993 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:40 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was offer a trade - 996TT to 993 C2

What are your thoughts? Should I trade it? Both in excellent condition.
Consider a investment only interest (because I just adore the Turbo).

TIA. Best regards
Old 07-23-2016, 03:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Keep the Turbo. I would only pick the 993 if it was a very rare special edition.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 PM
RockstarDoc
2nd Gear

I was in the market for 993 C2 as well before ending up in deciding to go with the 996 turbo. Pricewise two years ago they were the exact same. After driving the 993, I wasn't all that impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice drivers car but had more of a nostalgic old-school feeling. The 996 turbo on the other hand was a blast to drive. in terms of driving experience was better than the 993. exponentially better acceleration and handling and can beat them 993 hands-down in a straight line and on the track. I'm talking and it's stock form. Obviously a modded 993 versus a stock 996 turbo can do much better on a track.

do I regret my choice going with a 996 turbo? From an investment standpoint and over all rare factor, the 993 should've been the way to go.
so yes, I do regret that aspect. Looking at the value of the 996 turbo now compared to the cost of the 993, the 993s have continued to increase in value, whereas the 996 turbo looks like it has hit a ceiling and although some may argue the 996 has increased in value it is not the same as a 993.

But after getting into 996 turbo and driving the hell out of it, it puts those buyers remorse away in an instant.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I absolutely would own a 996 Turbo over a 993C2 for any reason and I see the motors of a 996 Turbo being worth more then the entire cost of a 993C2 in the LONG term.

The 993 is what I like to call the fainboi car who really just wants to own the "Good looking" 911 but really doesn't have much knowledge of the mechanical aspects. My major problem is the long term durability of the 993 motor is pretty damn poor and your going to get check engine lights on any 96+ at or before 100,000 that you really cannot resolve because of the secondary air injection. Then ontop of that problem at around 100,000mi your going to be needing a rebuild if the car was kept stock because the air cooled motor simply bakes the valve seals and you get to sit in smoke at every light or any time your at idle. I also don't like the hydraulic valves because they make the motor really uneventful to drive the cam profiles you can achieve are boring and downright crap. To top off that motor that really doesn't do a whole lot of excitement you get to deal with US gearing which basically takes a good car and makes it garbage. Anyone who has driven a proper gearbox in a 993 N/A can tell you its like an absolute life changer in terms of how the car feels. The 1st to 2nd gear shift is otherwise painfully horrible that it sucks the fun right out of the car. That isn't to say you can enjoy it in the corner with most gearboxes as the open diff really cuts down on your ability to have fun coming out of corners as you spin the inside wheel. Infact the wheel hop is so bad that I have seen a number of blown gearbox spider gears from backroad enjoyment. Then we get to why the wheel hop is so bad and the nightmare of a multilink rear suspension that is the 993. To make it work you need to change the way the whole subframe mounts and if you don't it simply doesn't work and to top that off you get to deal with kinematic toe which 99% of people do wrong. So most 993's you drive don't even have a good alignment on them which just makes the whole thing worse. The only thing worth keeping from a 993 is the brakes but really its not the brakes its the simple fact that the 996 Turbo was sent out with the wrong master cylinder.

So, that is just the stuff off the top of my head. I would rather own a 964 or a nice 3.2 coupe (G50) any day of the week over a 993.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:05 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Investment wise I would vote 993.

Also if the 993 is clean and known history I would very tempted to do the swap. You can always get another turbo, doesn't seem that hard to find clean ones.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 PM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishey
I absolutely would own a 996 Turbo over a 993C2 for any reason and I see the motors of a 996 Turbo being worth more then the entire cost of a 993C2 in the LONG term.

The 993 is what I like to call the fainboi car who really just wants to own the "Good looking" 911 but really doesn't have much knowledge of the mechanical aspects. My major problem is the long term durability of the 993 motor is pretty damn poor and your going to get check engine lights on any 96+ at or before 100,000 that you really cannot resolve because of the secondary air injection. Then ontop of that problem at around 100,000mi your going to be needing a rebuild if the car was kept stock because the air cooled motor simply bakes the valve seals and you get to sit in smoke at every light or any time your at idle. I also don't like the hydraulic valves because they make the motor really uneventful to drive the cam profiles you can achieve are boring and downright crap. To top off that motor that really doesn't do a whole lot of excitement you get to deal with US gearing which basically takes a good car and makes it garbage. Anyone who has driven a proper gearbox in a 993 N/A can tell you its like an absolute life changer in terms of how the car feels. The 1st to 2nd gear shift is otherwise painfully horrible that it sucks the fun right out of the car. That isn't to say you can enjoy it in the corner with most gearboxes as the open diff really cuts down on your ability to have fun coming out of corners as you spin the inside wheel. Infact the wheel hop is so bad that I have seen a number of blown gearbox spider gears from backroad enjoyment. Then we get to why the wheel hop is so bad and the nightmare of a multilink rear suspension that is the 993. To make it work you need to change the way the whole subframe mounts and if you don't it simply doesn't work and to top that off you get to deal with kinematic toe which 99% of people do wrong. So most 993's you drive don't even have a good alignment on them which just makes the whole thing worse. The only thing worth keeping from a 993 is the brakes but really its not the brakes its the simple fact that the 996 Turbo was sent out with the wrong master cylinder.

So, that is just the stuff off the top of my head. I would rather own a 964 or a nice 3.2 coupe (G50) any day of the week over a 993.
yeah, right!

look at the third place: http://www.total911.com/total-911s-t...s-of-all-time/
Old 07-23-2016, 04:13 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

given my current turbo's mezger is pushing nearly twice the power out the rear it is surprising how wistfully i recall and miss my ol 993 c2. have two different threads to ponder this in, and arrived at the same conclusion lol.

the only solution to this particular quandary is to have them both.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Originally Posted by irule
yeah, right!

look at the third place: http://www.total911.com/total-911s-t...s-of-all-time/
Two merger's but no turbo
Old 07-23-2016, 04:29 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
Two merger's but no turbo
Actually more mezger but some people don't understand what that actually means. It's like saying a 956 motor isn't a mezger but the liquid cooled version is a mezger. Mezger was an engine designer the very first 911 motor was a mezger and all of them are until the m96 and 9a1 both of which are not but basically every 911 motor made since the original is a mezger. He didn't just water cool the modern version he designed them from the start in the production car.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by José Ferreira
What are your thoughts?
Which one do you enjoy driving more?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:29 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

yeah, but nearly everyone knows ( or so i'm told ha ) that when the mention of a mezger motor appears it usually references these gt1 derived m96 though everything else said about the guy is true also. legendary career no doubt.

http://www.total911.com/technology-e...mezger-engine/

"First off, the ‘Mezger engine’ moniker is a bit of a misnomer as legendary engine builder, Hans Mezger has been designing Porsche powerplants since the Sixties. However, in the 911 world, the term has recently become synonymous with the engine fitted to GT3s (up until the introduction of the 991 generation)....

the M96/72 ‘Mezger’ engine utilises a true dry sump thanks to its roots in motorsport. the engine was initially designed for the twin-turbocharged 911 GT1 Le Mans racer,
Old 07-23-2016, 08:52 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

there is the aircooled factor that will always be desirable to many, including me. after selling my spec racer my dream car had always been a 993, hands down. when I went shopping a drove a couple of them, a few cayman and even a well sorted (case reseal) 964, a 997S before driving a turbo.

after I had driven/researched a 996tt it was the best value choice pound per dollar at that time, late last year. it's performance, it's not likely to plummet in value like the boxter, cayman, 997, 991bases models will made it the obvious choice. . all that being said, I would consider the right 993 for my turbo in an instant, or like others have suggested a G50 aircooled car.. there's something about driving a well sorted aircooled 911 that the turbo will never match, I miss that.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I had a 993 turbo for 10 years and had a C2 last year. The 996 Turbo is a way better car than both. The 993s are fun but not on the same level. Yes they are appreciating but they are old cars with old car problems popping up. They also are like antiques inside compared to the 6 turbo. Also the handling and performance is way better on the 6turbo. Give it time and the 6 turbo will be a better buy at this time looking back from the future IMO. and although I like the 964 they were built when Porsche was going bankrupt and it shows in the build quality. These were great cars for 20k a few years ago. Now to reseal the engine costs similar to 20k. 996Turbo or GT3 are the winners for best buy now.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I had a 993 turbo for 10 years and had a C2 last year. The 996 Turbo is a way better car than both. The 993s are fun but not on the same level. Yes they are appreciating but they are old cars with old car problems popping up. They also are like antiques inside compared to the 6 turbo. Also the handling and performance is way better on the 6turbo. Give it time and the 6 turbo will be a better buy at this time looking back from the future IMO. and although I like the 964 they were built when Porsche was going bankrupt and it shows in the build quality. These were great cars for 20k a few years ago. Now to reseal the engine costs similar to 20k. 996Turbo or GT3 are the winners for best buy now.
Fishey and Dan sum it up pretty well.
Air cooled cars are cool but archaic and slow by today's standards, not to mention costing a small fortune to repair. Rebuilds are not a question of if, but when......$$$$$$
C
Old 07-24-2016, 11:37 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a couple 993s new back in the day, and I remember thinking 'jeeze, I didn't get a whole lot for what I spent.' It seemed like a somewhat updated, heavier early 911 (and I'd had a lot of those).

The 996TT, was granted, at the bottom of the depreciation curve. But technologically, light years ahead of the 993.

Quick Reply: I was offer a trade - 996TT to 993 C2