Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I was offer a trade - 996TT to 993 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:43 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Keep the 996TT - it's a better car, hands down. The only reason you'd be trading is the "investment" aspect, as mentioned by Jeff-DML. But, when it comes to investments, "buy low, sell high". You would be doing the exact opposite in trading a 996TT for a 993. The 993 stock already has risen, to a level that many people believe is a bubble. Everyone agrees that the 996TT is at the bottom of its depreciation curve.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

^ 100% agree. The NA 993s are in bubble land and regular 993s are not rare at all. In time low milage 996TTs will be much rarer.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by José Ferreira
What are your thoughts? Should I trade it? Both in excellent condition.
Consider a investment only interest (because I just adore the Turbo).

TIA. Best regards
If you were approached by the 993 C2 owner to trade what does that tell you about his feelings of the investment value of the 993?

When I want to invest I do so using other more common and more easily liqudated investment, err vehicles (no pun...), not decades old used cars.

Been over a year now I spoke with a couple of senior techs about an air-cooled 911. I was thinking I wanted to sample the air-cooled world and wanted their opinion on which MY would be best. I didn't want a Turbo model, or a special, just a plain old Carrera 911 preferrably with a manual transmission and with just RWD.

Both kind of got a look on their face like they caught the whiff a foul odor and both said something to the effect I should seriously consider bringing any car in I was interested in for a thorough PPI.

They went on to say that if I ended up buying the car they would then advise me what I should do to address all the shortcomings and potential trouble areas. The initial list was a bit long and expensive sounding.

Given the prices being asked for air-cooled examples and then having to face perhaps sinking an addiitonal considerable percentage of the car's initial cost into fixing it up I declined.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:32 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having owned, driven to 100K and loved my '96 993 C2, I would keep the 996 Turbo all day long.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:55 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Keep the 996TT - it's a better car, hands down. The only reason you'd be trading is the "investment" aspect, as mentioned by Jeff-DML. But, when it comes to investments, "buy low, sell high". You would be doing the exact opposite in trading a 996TT for a 993. The 993 stock already has risen, to a level that many people believe is a bubble. Everyone agrees that the 996TT is at the bottom of its depreciation curve.
Thank you. I tend to agree with that. My question is: are The 993 still up, being the last air cooled? The 996TT it's a marvel, but to much underaprecciated.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:05 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
If you were approached by the 993 C2 owner to trade what does that tell you about his feelings of the investment value of the 993?

When I want to invest I do so using other more common and more easily liqudated investment, err vehicles (no pun...), not decades old used cars.

Been over a year now I spoke with a couple of senior techs about an air-cooled 911. I was thinking I wanted to sample the air-cooled world and wanted their opinion on which MY would be best. I didn't want a Turbo model, or a special, just a plain old Carrera 911 preferrably with a manual transmission and with just RWD.

Both kind of got a look on their face like they caught the whiff a foul odor and both said something to the effect I should seriously consider bringing any car in I was interested in for a thorough PPI.

They went on to say that if I ended up buying the car they would then advise me what I should do to address all the shortcomings and potential trouble areas. The initial list was a bit long and expensive sounding.

Given the prices being asked for air-cooled examples and then having to face perhaps sinking an addiitonal considerable percentage of the car's initial cost into fixing it up I declined.
Thank you: you got a point there. My 996 is in wonderfull condition (i've just spent €12.000 two months ago to keep it like new. Nothing wrong with it, just prehemptive maintenance a 15 years car need).
My "investments" are in real estate: so when I say that in regard to a car I understand the diference.

I had an output that I value the most: my 12 year old daughter told me not to sell it (or trade it) because she wants the car when she can drive it. She loves the rollercoaster feel.

I'm still listening. I much apreciate ALL your comments. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

?....The 996TT it's a marvel, but to much underaprecciated.
Not for long.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts

Get both. They will both be worth more in the future. Better than a CD at the bank

Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Thank you. I tend to agree with that. My question is: are The 993 still up, being the last air cooled? The 996TT it's a marvel, but to much underaprecciated.
Mine is not under-appreciated as I appreciate it greatly.

Frankly, I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about what cars I own. My goal is to own good cars and to buy them when they are cheap, if possible.

If the 996 Turbo model line wasn't getting on in years I could be tempted to find another one and have two.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:59 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It really depends on what you value and appreciate. If you like performance in your vehicle, I'd say get the 996TT. As others have mentioned, a 996TT out-performs the 993 hands down. But if you've had a 993 before or you want something of an investment, you may go with the 993 for nostalgic/money reasons (but beware of the investment angle- some people are saying the 993 market has topped out). I never drove owned 993, and to me, it's dated and I get a lot more fun out of the 996TT than a 993 would ever give me.

Quick Reply: I was offer a trade - 996TT to 993 C2