Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Sounds like you have a solid plan, keep us posted and good luck!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks macster will be having a ppi done by a European shop I know the owner of and trust. While in the air I will look for the rubber bits to see if it may have been tracked (it may or may not have been, have some friends who do stuff like this to their cars but never take to the track) also the yellow one Is on consignment so it's not so much the dealer that thinks it's worth more it's the owner, the stock with 29k is a bit under priced given the prices I see on auto trader (sub 30k cars with clean titles I've been seeing 56-75k) so not sure, but to me the oem aero kit as it would cost me about 8500 or so including paint and install to put one on is worth a slight increase in price, along with the new Sachs sport clutch, the oem flywheel new, and the short shifter. I will call dealer now to go test drive and get the details hashed out about the ppi and such.

And thanks Chris I'll let ya guys know what happens today haha
Old 07-20-2016, 01:13 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Shane: I agree that if it's exactly what you want, then go ahead and pull the trigger on it, especially if paying a few thousand dollars over market value doesn't bother you. Waiting until after Labor Day will do 2 things for you: 1. Prices will come down around 10% and 2. There will be more inventory on the market. Right now, during spring and through mid-summer, good cars don't last long on the market as there are lots of buyers. After Labor Day, there will be cars coming on the market from northern owners who store their cars for the winter and decide to sell rather than store another year. So, better prices and more inventory. But, if you've found what you want and are good with the price, then no reason to wait.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:40 PM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

Thanks man, did some more looking and this came up http://www.parkhaus1.com/detail-2002...-15213210.html worth it considering it seems everything has been redone to the car in the persuit of the power (complete engine out overhaul, gt3 brakes, gt3 lsd) and lots more. All receipts included to show what was put into the car.

Edit: I know mods and such usually would depreciate the vehicle and respect that decision, but from the receipts done by a reputable porsche shop in virginia would this be worth the slightly higher cost then say the 29,000 miles 01 turbo stock for 50k, i'm going to talk to them and see how low they will go on this one.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:06 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Does the car with the billet K16s have aftermarket rods? I would be worried about how much the boost was turned up and if it put a lot of lot end torque on stock rods.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 AM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

Sumaverik not sure on the yellow one if any internals were changed, on the black one it had an engine and Trans rebuild (Trans got better gears and a gt3 diff) (motor got pretty much everything both with receipts to prove it) black has a lot of work all done by a p car shop with documented proof and receipts. When I checked it out today it has a 3 ring binder with like 30 pages in sleeves of receipts and such, the previous owner was so **** he saved every oem parts sticker and put it in the binder. Car had the gt2 rwd conversion and is fast as hell but rides super smooth. I already locked in with the owner pending financing for the difference between my down-payment and the sales price, waiting on word back tomorrow from nationwide, and if not them I'll check out lightstream because I want that one.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 AM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

Ps black one that I'm buying has the hybrid k16/24 low resistance or whatever turbo upgrade with a conservative tune by Kevin
Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by shanemiller33329
Ps black one that I'm buying has the hybrid k16/24 low resistance or whatever turbo upgrade with a conservative tune by Kevin
Kevins turbos on a rebuilt engine with transmission rebuilt too with receipts, you may have scored depending on who did the work and what was replaced. Make sure its not just a LSD but a true rebuild.

If I read correctly you're financing this purchase? Have something set aside for potential repairs, may still be a 16 year old car in some areas with repair cost relative to original price.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:07 PM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

From what I saw they replaced syncros and much more. Car has the Gt2 rwd conversion. All work done by lmn motorsports of Virginia
Old 07-21-2016, 03:29 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Shane: That black car looks very nice. I think you'll find more very nice cars at the price point you are shopping. Personally, I enjoy car shopping, so I took 18 months to find my first 996 ('99 C4 aerokit). Then, when someone offered to buy that one from me without it even being up for sale (they saw it in the parking lot of the auto museum here), I took 6 months to find my current 996tt. I was ready to pull the trigger when the right car showed up, and when it did, I had a non-refundable deposit down within a few hours of it being listed on ebay. If you don't enjoy the car hunt, then that's probably not for you. But, aside from the withdrawal DT's of not having a 911 to drive, it really was a fun 6 months getting to know the market on these cars inside and out. I learned a lot about them in general. For example, speed yellow was one of my top 3 choices (guards red and cobalt blue being the others). What I realized about the speed yellow cars is that there aren't that many, but they are kind of like trying to sell a house with a swimming pool: there are haters and there are lovers of speed yellow and little in between. So, for the right buyer, finding a good speed yellow car is difficult. By the same token, for a seller, there aren't that many buyers of speed yellow, so when you get one interested, you'd better close the deal or it may be awhile before the next one comes along.
Cobalt Blue 996TT's are rare, BTW. Cobalt Blue with black interior are unicorns.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:38 PM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice and that is pretty awesome the whole scenario you had. I agree the car hunt can be fun but when you find that one that you just can't stop thinking about and has a history with documents and receipts for everything done to the car. I feel I have to pull the trigger or I won't find something like it again. I'm working on the financing on part of the purchase price but if I can't get financing for that much then I'd have to get something that's less money
Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

If you have a problem with Nationwide or Lightstream, try out Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They give loans on older cars and have very good rates that were lower than Lightsream when I checked.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go the PenFed route, they're super easy to deal with.

-Jason
Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
shanemiller33329
Intermediate

Got approved by pen fed, very easy to work with, low interest 3.2% for 60 months. Got to get the dealer to send an invoice to them then they will overnight the check to me. So should be able to pick up next week during the middle of the week, will post pics. Going to have my buddy do a full detail on it. He did a wash/clay/compound/polish/cersmic Coat my m3 for $200 so I'll get him to do this one too
Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shanemiller33329
Got approved by pen fed, very easy to work with, low interest 3.2% for 60 months. Got to get the dealer to send an invoice to them then they will overnight the check to me. So should be able to pick up next week during the middle of the week, will post pics. Going to have my buddy do a full detail on it. He did a wash/clay/compound/polish/cersmic Coat my m3 for $200 so I'll get him to do this one too
Congrats on your 996tt and good to hear with PenFed, I have used them twice with car loans. They're great to work with and super fast with their loans. You'll start receiving blank checks that you can use for car purchases up to $50k in the coming months from them. I get one every 6 months or so.

-Jason

Quick Reply: 2001 turbo