Sponsored by:

Freon

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Edlebby
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Frankly, I think you are better off not having this info read. There is nothing you can do if the engine was overreved at some point in its past. If you bought the car used and failed to obtain these overrev counter values at that time then why bother now?

If the car has been your's since new either you remember when you overreved it or you don't. Reading the counters will not change the fact the engine was overreved if in fact it has been overreved.

When (if) you go to sell the car then at that time you can have the overrev counters and engine run time read and have this so show prospective buyers.
Macster - very thoughtful advice - i bought the car used and did not know about this being available (my bad for not doing enough due diligence)

why know now?

you are right that there is no changing it - but i suppose if the trail shows clean, i would have less worries driving the car hard - if the trail shows shoddy, maybe i would baby it a bit more and think about swapping it out at some point

i did pull the trigger on the durametric enthusiast kit - in addition to revs, it should be able to do some other things

thanks again
Old 07-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Usually low freon causes freeze ups, especially at the evaporator and your air output would be warm. That sweating is a result of humidity.
Not sure why people think an AC system is so difficult. Its pretty straight forward.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:28 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Not sure why people think an AC system is so difficult. Its pretty straight forward.
No arguments there.

But it is a matter of experience. I have seen more f***** up AC repairs than you can imagine - both in the US and in Germany. I think many technicians consider the AC an ancillary system not worth learning about. Then they are confronted with a repair and go at it...

And IMO, the add-a-charge kits should to be banned. 98% of the refrigerant in those kits ends up in the atmosphere almost immediately anyway. If the AC has a problem you need to get it repaired, and if its a leak, it needs to be fixed.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:11 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
I have to disagree. I am the quintessential DIY believer - so much so that I am part of a company that offers diagnostic tools for DIYs (not Porsche, though) - but I have seen so many people fack up AC repairs that I feel it's best left to someone who knows what they are doing. This even goes for mechanics not trained in aC work.

Yes, there are good tutorials online, and yes ACs are not rocket science, but people do not pay attention to what is said in the tutorials or don't even bother reading up.

Please note I clearly said, "CHECK THE FUNCTIONALITY OF THE AC SYSTEM PRETTY EASILY". I did not say, just jump in there and start pretending to be a master of AC repair. Viewing the high pressure and low pressure gauges as the AC is running is dummie simple and will let you know if the AC system is functioning correctly or if it needs some attention.

Quick Reply: Freon