Sponsored by:

Replacing Trans Mount - Motor Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:26 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Road King
Hawk, JB's car has several thousand miles on it with the LWFW as it was already installed when he bought it.

Since we're able to compare his car to my car (stock clutch, replaced 9k miles ago) the LWFW chatter was noticeable before the mount swap, and I can only assume it's significantly more irritating now based on what Josh has told me.
I pulled up to a friends house this evening and he asked me what the rattle was while standing in his driveway, maybe I've gotten used to it a little. I know it sounds terrible when bogging 2nd, which I do less, or more, depending on if I want to downshift into 1st now that I have taller GT2 gearing. I'm also running a Clutch Masters PP and Sachs disc that may influence the noise level. The newer discs have different springs that are supposedly quieter so there are a few variables. When I first drove mine just after install, it sounded like someone was shaking a can of 5/8 bolts under the car. Kevin has all kinds of options here and can explain them way better than me.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:55 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
the semi-solid trans mount is not causing your chattering(if we're thinking the same term....in fact, it may be helping the situation), solely your clutch
Well, it made no noticeable noise before the RSS engine mounts and TS trans mount...now makes a ton of noise.

I've read on several threads where guys were complaining about a very noticeable increase in LWFW noise after the TS mount install.

I sure hope it's the mount, otherwise I'll install a new one without a resolution to the noise!
Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by juanbenae
I'm not familiar with the mount you've installed, but I installed the tarrett semi-solid greens which is their "street" model. no unbearable noise to be sure. if you are interested in installing these, or the 997 mount I'm can help you do it if you'd like. either way, if you drive down we can uninstall the mounts you have now and install the softer tarrett model, or install the 997 mount in a little over an hour in my garage. I will work for beer, and even park my car on the street for a couple hours to do this. ive done mine so it's covered ground.

PM for contact info.

jb
Hey Juan,

Much appreciated man...truly. Seriously stand up/nice of you.

Will let you know if I can/will take you up on that.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:29 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

we need to all meet up soon, i'm about to do the clutch and keep debating the LWFW
Old 07-15-2016, 12:38 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
we need to all meet up soon,

Sounds good. I'm game.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:42 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I pulled up to a friends house this evening and he asked me what the rattle was while standing in his driveway, maybe I've gotten used to it a little. I know it sounds terrible when bogging 2nd, which I do less, or more, depending on if I want to downshift into 1st now that I have taller GT2 gearing. I'm also running a Clutch Masters PP and Sachs disc that may influence the noise level. The newer discs have different springs that are supposedly quieter so there are a few variables. When I first drove mine just after install, it sounded like someone was shaking a can of 5/8 bolts under the car. Kevin has all kinds of options here and can explain them way better than me.
Yep, pretty much describes what mine sounds like...but it makes a lot of chatter/rattling under even the slightest load, especially lower RPM's in 1st and 2nd gear.

I can still hear it chattering under load in most gears at higher RPM's around town as well...it's just considerably less noticeable at that point.

My clutch and FW setup were done by UMW, years ago...and during the trans rebuild I just went through (I too now have GT2 gearing), they said the clutch and FW were in great shape.

I sure hope the 997 trans mount makes and appreciable change in the noise level...because I just can't live with the racket. Driving with the wife after a nice dinner, rattling through downtown Danville is kind-of embarrassing. LOL
Old 07-15-2016, 01:03 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Well, it made no noticeable noise before the RSS engine mounts and TS trans mount...now makes a ton of noise.

I've read on several threads where guys were complaining about a very noticeable increase in LWFW noise after the TS mount install.

I sure hope it's the mount, otherwise I'll install a new one without a resolution to the noise!
I just swapped mine back out to the new 997 mount I couldn't handle the noise any longer where my turbo isn't my primary track car, just wasn't worth the noise. Night a day difference even with my LWFW.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:19 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Juan,

Much appreciated man...truly. Seriously stand up/nice of you.

Will let you know if I can/will take you up on that.

before any work you can drive/ride in my car to see if the noise from the wevo motor mounts and tarretts greens are making the same noise you are currently experiencing.

The complete swap out of the 997 mount would be around an hour and I have all the tools and the multiple floor jacks required. maybe a bit longer with removal of the plastic pan cover piece...
Old 07-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with stock 997 and insert for a little more stiffness. It made a lot of difference shifting. I still have stock shifter & cables. I have GT2 engine mounts . No LWFW. stock. It seems a good balance for me. The trans mount cleared up some shifting unsuredness
Old 07-16-2016, 01:38 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Gotcha, yes there is more noise/clattering with a semi-solid trans mount, I was thinking you were referring to shuttering/chatter
I'm still in the semi-solid boat as the shifter accuracy is always 100%, but for a street car the 997 mount does make more sense for most
Cheers,

Old 07-20-2016, 02:38 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

Has anyone tried the NYPPD engine mounts? Im looking to tighten things up on the car while still keeping it as civil as possible. I have heard that they are better as far as NVH and was going to pair with a 997 trans mount.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by su_maverick
Has anyone tried the NYPPD engine mounts? Im looking to tighten things up on the car while still keeping it as civil as possible. I have heard that they are better as far as NVH and was going to pair with a 997 trans mount.
Window weld 20$
Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 PM
su_maverick
Advanced

For the trans mount?
Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by su_maverick
For the trans mount?
Yep. Remove the mount fill it with window weld. Use soapy water on you hand smooth it out and let it cure for 24 hrs. Equals 74 rating and if you dont like it your out 20$

Quick Reply: Replacing Trans Mount - Motor Removal?