Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost leak from driver's side intercooler... is there an easy way to get at it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:57 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Boost leak from driver's side intercooler... is there an easy way to get at it?

Replaced check valve 16 tonight and followed up with a boost leak check now that I can actually hold a little bit of pressure. Driver's side intercooler is leaking from the rearmost hose fitting (it seems). Is there an easier way to get to this to tighten it than removing the whole rear bumper?

Thanks.

-Mag
Old 07-11-2016, 09:03 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I had a hose at that same place that didn't seat properly when I put in new 997.2 IC's and could push it back in but it would pop as soon as I stood on it again.
Replaced the hose with another one I had.
The hose flange ears wear down and it will pop under boost.
Had to pull bumper again, no big deal. Spend the hour, do it right so you can see what you're doing and put on some heavy duty zip ties over the clips while you're at it.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

I did a little more digging and realized that it's not the fitting leaking at the hose... it's the dang intercooler itself. Bummer. These are aftermarket intercoolers (not sure of the brand). Now I'll be looking for some 997.2 intercoolers. Excited about that (sarcasm alert).

ETA: Just realized I can't use 997.2 intercoolers unless I get the OEM hoses to go with them... I have aftermarket silicone hoses also... so no direct swap for me. Pretty sure I'm going to take that intercooler over to a welding shop and let them have at it... or pack it full of gum and see if it holds. One of the two.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Oh and I think my plenum has a leak also... when I wiggle the y pipe I can alter the slight hissing it makes up there. More fun.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:14 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pain in the *** now but totally worth it once your car is air tight and running right.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
I did a little more digging and realized that it's not the fitting leaking at the hose... it's the dang intercooler itself. Bummer. These are aftermarket intercoolers (not sure of the brand). Now I'll be looking for some 997.2 intercoolers. Excited about that (sarcasm alert).

ETA: Just realized I can't use 997.2 intercoolers unless I get the OEM hoses to go with them... I have aftermarket silicone hoses also... so no direct swap for me. Pretty sure I'm going to take that intercooler over to a welding shop and let them have at it... or pack it full of gum and see if it holds. One of the two.
I have a pair of stock x50 intercoolers and hoses minus the upper drivers side that started popping I'll sell you. PM me if you want to save some $
Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Time for some strm 4.5" i/c and a billet plenum w/upgraded t/b. I can get you pricing on both
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Finally got around to pulling out the intercooler last night and the leak is pretty deep inside the intercooler. Gave it to a friend of mine who does aluminum welding for jets to see if he can get at it but he's going to have to cut about 2" worth of fins out to get to it. I ordered a 997.2 intercooler to replace it just in case it gets mangled in the process. It's ok to run different intercoolers on each side, right?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I have a complete set of the latest version of OEM hoses with the new style end tabs, all 4. Only used for 4K miles, perfect condition. 1/2 price. Also have a pair of 997.2 Intercoolers. They both have a small leak near the turbo side of the end tanks. Nothing major but small bubbles do appear when pressurized and sprayed down with soap water. $250
Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
Finally got around to pulling out the intercooler last night and the leak is pretty deep inside the intercooler. Gave it to a friend of mine who does aluminum welding for jets to see if he can get at it but he's going to have to cut about 2" worth of fins out to get to it. I ordered a 997.2 intercooler to replace it just in case it gets mangled in the process. It's ok to run different intercoolers on each side, right?
No science to back this up just intuition but I'd say "no". You want to avoid the possibilty of supplying air charge cooled to different temperatures to the banks. Ideally each cylinder bank wants to receive intake charge of the same temperature.

The DME can keep the fueling of the banks the same, the timing advance of the cylinders in each bank the same and this each bank of cylinders contributes the same amount of power to the to total engine output.

In your car's case I'd forego the attempted repair of the leaking intercooler and just replace both intercoolers with either the same or improved ones either from the 997 Turbo or perhaps aftermarket.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
No science to back this up just intuition but I'd say "no". You want to avoid the possibilty of supplying air charge cooled to different temperatures to the banks. Ideally each cylinder bank wants to receive intake charge of the same temperature.

The DME can keep the fueling of the banks the same, the timing advance of the cylinders in each bank the same and this each bank of cylinders contributes the same amount of power to the to total engine output.

In your car's case I'd forego the attempted repair of the leaking intercooler and just replace both intercoolers with either the same or improved ones either from the 997 Turbo or perhaps aftermarket.
The air from each IC goes through the Y pipe where it's mixed and goes through a single throttle body before its split in the plenum to the left and right bank. As such it makes no earthly difference from a temperature standpoint if you have different ICs as both banks will see intake air of the same temp. Your back pressure may be different on each intercooler however which may choke one side more than the other. With that said, I'd replace both ICs as a matched pair no matter what..
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

As a follow up to this (kills me when people don't conclude their issues):

Installed a 997.2 intercooler today. The upgraded EVOMS intercooler had a leak inside that was unrepairable so I got ahold of a decent 997.2 intercooler to try out (thanks to the advice on here and 6speed). It was a pretty easy install since my ducts were already modified slightly to fit the evoms intercoolers in there. I did have to buy a new set of hoses since my aftermarket intercoolers didn't use the stock hoses/fittings. Otherwise it was pretty easy and the car pulls like a **** now that my bigger boost leak is taken care of. Now back up on the ramps to look for more leaks. Fun.

Quick Reply: Boost leak from driver's side intercooler... is there an easy way to get at it?