Sponsored by:

Considering 2002 996 tt or 2007 S

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
And there are people who think differently (I'm one of them).
And one.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:06 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
And there are people who think differently (I'm one of them).
+1, I can't really see why people think that it's a big step up. I also prefer the understated interior of the 957 to the more garish, busy interior of the 958.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:08 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put me in the camp of "big step up" (for the 997 interior) is a total crock of over hyped bs. I dont find the lines particularly appealing either. like the door panels have to be one of the most uninspired and boring pieces Ive seen in any door card, nevermind the ugly steering wheel and center stack(grey and buttons everywhere ugh).

both are plenty livable though and get left behind in terms of "technology" for interiors compared to new cars today. Not a huge concern for me overall for what these cars are really for.
Want to dash molest? Buy a Rolls.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:03 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is an age old question that has been brought up many times in the past, but glad to see it again.

I picked up a 996tt earlier this year and a 997.1 S was certainly the other option. I chose the Turbo simply because it was a bucket list car for me and I knew it was at the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Of the 50+ cars I owned prior to this, my 40th Annivesary 996 was one of my favorites. Is is maybe the most underrated Porsche of all time.

Recently I have considered selling and going for a 997.1s or 997.2 or even back to a 40thAE.

Main reasons
- Steering feel and speed. I feel my 40th ae had more of both
- Exhaust note - the car had a Speedtech on it, but the drone was ridiculous, so I took it off and went back to stock. If I keep it I might look at their quiet model, because the stock sounds is just not the experience I am looking for.
- Electronic intervention with the PSM off drives me absolutely crazy. It's not a lot but that blinking triangle always distracts me. Like Kimi said, "leave me alone, I know what I am doing"
- Weight - not as porky as every M car since 07 but still you feel the weight
- Small gas tank - small issue but annoying to not make it 200 miles before filling up

The looks are not remotely the issue inside or out. In fact I like the 997 less in all departments, except for the ones with aero kits on the them. The black one posted in this thread looks great.

The power is simply amazing, addictive and intoxicating. I'm around 500hp with the mods. That said, you're almost always in felony territory when you really want to enjoy it. I felt the same way when I went from my mostly stock C5 Corvette to a 400wrhp C6 Corvette. I like to enjoy that intake and exhaust sound a little longer, but in this car, you're in triple digits right away. Sure you can modulate the throttle but who has the strength to do that?

I will say there is something very special about the 996tt. I do absolutely love it and I took pictures of it to sell it months ago but have yet to even edit them for an ad.

I haven't tracked it and will not until I do the coolant pipes (annoying too).

OP congrats on your purchase, speaking from experience I think you did the right thing.

I do have KW3 coilovers and I will say that really transforms the car from stock.

Also if you have to get tires. Go Sumitomo. What little bit they give up on track will be made up for on the street in terms of fun. The mechanical grip is amazing. The Sumi's allow for a little more rotation. ;-)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 PM
AMCPILOT
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 22 Posts
Default From someone who owns both

Not sure if the original poster is still looking, but here is my take. I own a 2003 996TT with light mods (UMW chip) and a 2006 997S with aerokit and Sport Exhaust. I find them both greatly enjoyable, but for very different reasons. I love the rev happy 997S and the exhaust sound and it's a much lighter car ... something you can feel pretty easily. I like the sheer thrust and explosive power of the 996TT. Of the two, my 997 is in my opinion better looking. In real world driving, I prefer the 997. However, both can be frustrating to drive in traffic since they want to "go", but you quickly get stuck behind slow drivers.

I'll probably get interesting comments about my experiences, but I hope it helps the original poster's questions.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:35 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by AMCPILOT
Not sure if the original poster is still looking, but here is my take. I own a 2003 996TT with light mods (UMW chip) and a 2006 997S with aerokit and Sport Exhaust. I find them both greatly enjoyable, but for very different reasons. I love the rev happy 997S and the exhaust sound and it's a much lighter car ... something you can feel pretty easily. I like the sheer thrust and explosive power of the 996TT. Of the two, my 997 is in my opinion better looking. In real world driving, I prefer the 997. However, both can be frustrating to drive in traffic since they want to "go", but you quickly get stuck behind slow drivers.

I'll probably get interesting comments about my experiences, but I hope it helps the original poster's questions.
You must give one to a Subaru/Prius driver and keep the other, which do you keep?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:05 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

As a follow up to my earlier post(s), I had the chance to ride in a 12K mile 2008 C4S with the X51 Power Package-381hp. Nice car, but I wouldn't trade my turbo for it.

As my 3 year old would say, it's 'slowy'...
Old 10-27-2016, 01:05 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
This is an age old question that has been brought up many times in the past, but glad to see it again.

I picked up a 996tt earlier this year and a 997.1 S was certainly the other option. I chose the Turbo simply because it was a bucket list car for me and I knew it was at the bottom of it's depreciation curve.

Of the 50+ cars I owned prior to this, my 40th Annivesary 996 was one of my favorites. Is is maybe the most underrated Porsche of all time.

Recently I have considered selling and going for a 997.1s or 997.2 or even back to a 40thAE.

Main reasons
- Steering feel and speed. I feel my 40th ae had more of both
- Exhaust note - the car had a Speedtech on it, but the drone was ridiculous, so I took it off and went back to stock. If I keep it I might look at their quiet model, because the stock sounds is just not the experience I am looking for.
- Electronic intervention with the PSM off drives me absolutely crazy. It's not a lot but that blinking triangle always distracts me. Like Kimi said, "leave me alone, I know what I am doing"
- Weight - not as porky as every M car since 07 but still you feel the weight
- Small gas tank - small issue but annoying to not make it 200 miles before filling up

The looks are not remotely the issue inside or out. In fact I like the 997 less in all departments, except for the ones with aero kits on the them. The black one posted in this thread looks great.

The power is simply amazing, addictive and intoxicating. I'm around 500hp with the mods. That said, you're almost always in felony territory when you really want to enjoy it. I felt the same way when I went from my mostly stock C5 Corvette to a 400wrhp C6 Corvette. I like to enjoy that intake and exhaust sound a little longer, but in this car, you're in triple digits right away. Sure you can modulate the throttle but who has the strength to do that?

I will say there is something very special about the 996tt. I do absolutely love it and I took pictures of it to sell it months ago but have yet to even edit them for an ad.

I haven't tracked it and will not until I do the coolant pipes (annoying too).

OP congrats on your purchase, speaking from experience I think you did the right thing.

I do have KW3 coilovers and I will say that really transforms the car from stock.

Also if you have to get tires. Go Sumitomo. What little bit they give up on track will be made up for on the street in terms of fun. The mechanical grip is amazing. The Sumi's allow for a little more rotation. ;-)
Also around 500HP with mine and about fours years and 30K miles on several sets of Sumis. Those are great on street, but race them hard on a hot dry track and the tread flies off in matchbox-sized chunks. I have Nitto NT-01s for dry track now so the Sumis are no problem, even for multi-day closed road special stage Targas - and they're also great in the wet, even on track.

You may have already tried most of this, but before you shift her on, consider setting zero front toe (or even a smidge out) to liven her up, unplug the PSM in the frunk so it doesn't interfere during braking (provided you either have advanced driving skills - as you presumably do from your handle - or else scoff at death), and lowered suspension (you're lucky enough to have the KW3s, but even just ROW helps).

You may have already have done all that, so if you want her more direct and raw still, unplugging the ABS too (compare Ferrari F40), going monoballs on the front lower arms, and maybe a simple 2WD conversion to liven the steering ought to finish the job.

Yes, the coolant pipes fix is a must before working her hard in my book (blown 3 first, but all have been fixed properly now).

The smallish tank and wildly inaccurate petrol gauge I'll probably never get used to though, and that has left me stranded on track a few times.

My exhaust is a loud 70mm REMUS with 100 cell cats, so can't comment much there, other than to say that the Europipe Quiet might be more suited to your taste (good power and medium sound). Or you could just mod your stock one by drilling a partial bypass ('fister' mod IIRC?).

Quick Reply: Considering 2002 996 tt or 2007 S