Sponsored by:

Lift Fright

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:57 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Lift Fright

I have an asymmetrical Rotary Lift in my garage. The spotting plate was installed based on precise measurements relative to the post positions in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. I also have copies of the Automotive Lift Institute's "Vehicle Lifting Points" and "Lifting It Right" safety manual. There no issue as to the lift points on the 996T and where the front wheel is to be located relative to the spotting plate based on the car's wheelbase measurement. In other words, there was no question on the specified method to lift the car.

The lift has easily managed my Cayenne Turbo S and my wife's Mercedes ML which both weigh substantially more than the 996T, but they have a more conventional center of gravity and a longer wheel base. So it was a real eye opener, as in eyes wide open in disbelief, to see how unstable the 996T was on the lift when lifted in a conventional manner in the location specified by the lift guides. Did it fall off the lift by tipping rearward? No. Was it scary to see how much weight was biased to the rear? Hell, yes. I only took it up about half way when I decided that I wasn't going to risk the possibility that it could literally fall off the lift in the back. It probably wouldn't have, but there was enough front to rear rocking motion possible that it just seemed like it wasn't really safe to lift it all the way up in conventional position.

Once I backed it into position and lifted it with the engine weight much closer to the twin posts of the lift, the vehicle was totally rock stable. I have already read some other posts on this topic, but this was one of those you have to see it for yourself to believe things. I've seen it now, and whenever I need to lift the car all the way up for full underneath access, it will be backed into position instead of being driven straight into position. For partial raises to do tires and brakes and such, front in first is fine. But for all the way up, for me at least, it's going in backwards!

My "safe" way to lift:

Last edited by spooltime; 06-01-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a similar lift to pick up 996tt all the time with absolutely no issue.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:06 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

If you turn the car around, from the pic, and had the same reach on the long arms to the engine end as the pic I would be afraid to work under the car also.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:28 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

there is literally no difference using that lift or putting it up on jackstands as long as you use the lift points...what are you worried for?
Old 06-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Turbopun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
I only took it up about half way when I decided that I wasn't going to risk the possibility that it could literally fall off the lift in the back. It probably wouldn't have, but there was enough front to rear rocking motion possible that it just seemed like it wasn't really safe to lift it all the way up in conventional position.
I've had this experience, but in a different context, i.e. motor on a cherry picker.

So first off, of course there's no arguing with geometry and basic physics.

But, when you add the lifting motion, and you feel that large mass, on the end of long moment arm, and it "bounces" slightly, yeah it gives you pause.

Like others have said, you would probably have been fine, but it's easy to play armchair mechanic. Personally, I would lift the same.

And btw these aren't the only tail heavy cars that have to be lifted with consideration for COG.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no trouble getting my car on my pops' lift. he does have two of those tall stands that thread up to a good solid point under the car, then you foot pump the base and it helps in steading the car. they can be a pain to work around at times, and moved from time to time for specific tasks, but we always use them once the car is in the air. harbor freight has the stands I speak of, they are cheap, and really secure the car. when they are not in place ive torqued to loosen a fastener and the car does wiggle some to n fro.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:47 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a bendpak SP-7X, and no issues loading it like any other car. As long as you are hitting the jack points, there should be no issue.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:53 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

both my cars are solid as a rock on my Bendpac scissor lift

Quick Reply: Lift Fright