Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 turbo investment?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
The 1st gen 1999 standard C2 wasn't a looker by any means, however the 996TT and 4S are great looking cars (headlights and all). Not a big fan of interior look/quality but it is unique.
On this one looks great:

The problem is one and one only: both 911 and Boxster shares the same front end (in The earlier versions). That was what "killed" the looks.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:09 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

yeah, the 99 c2 was an egregious styling error with the boxer lamps, while the 96 turbo is/was not.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 AM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Not a big fan of interior look/quality but it is unique.
I used to dislike the interiors as well, but I think that was because I had only sat in/seen a 996T that had a basic grey interior. Some of the interiors on these don't look good and seem cheap, but the right color combo with full leather actually looks quite good and quality.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:05 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonK
Especially the fog lights. It's like, oh let's go back to the beetle lights now, oh fogs can no longer be integrated into the light cluster, now what? Where shall we put them? Oh, lets's just sneeze them on and see where they land.
I agree, the 996 mk2 headlights (the ones we have on our Turbos) in my opinion were headed in the right direction evolutionary wise. Very sharp looking and integrated foglights with more space to work with for indicators, etc.

I've mentioned this a few times before so forgive me but when 996 Turbo first hit the market the reviews were pretty much spectacular and I don't think anyone mentioned the headlights in a negative manner. They were too busy enjoying the incredible performance!!!

I also believe that they went back to "round" headlights purely for aesthetics rather than the function/performance of the headlights. It seems the headlights are slowly getting "out of round" again, and I think it's because the evolutionary step they skipped over is catching up

Btw...Are these still considered round???

Old 06-07-2016, 01:07 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 971 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
I used to dislike the interiors as well, but I think that was because I had only sat in/seen a 996T that had a basic grey interior. Some of the interiors on these don't look good and seem cheap, but the right color combo with full leather actually looks quite good and quality.
no question that a black interior looks best on these cars. the black trim pieces stand out too much on a light colored interior. unfortunately, the oval buttons look clunky and seem to date the interior to me. the headlights, on the other hand, seem to be aging well and i still like them.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
I agree, I have the full natural grey leather on mine looks great and has held up very well. It's almost black. I really like the lines and think they match the car.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:55 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Default 991 Turbo vs 996 Turbo

Are they really that different?

Old 06-07-2016, 02:21 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by José Ferreira
Are they really that different?
^ yes! lol...

my take on our lamps is that they kinda harken back to the 907 era design and the difference btw ours and older 911 lamps is strikingly different and as such should be lauded for the departure from the original style. at least there won't be another type made like this, any time soon, thats for sure.

additionally, people that confuse them with the ugly *** boxter/'99 c2 lamp enclosure are just not seeing them right, as while there is an obvious passing similarity, to *most* porschephiles they are quite different to even the least discerning view.

that said, there isn't much worse looking than an old '99 carrera with sun faded/yellowed headlamp lenses. blech.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:01 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
^ yes! lol...

my take on our lamps is that they kinda harken back to the 907 era design and the difference btw ours and older 911 lamps is strikingly different and as such should be lauded for the departure from the original style. at least there won't be another type made like this, any time soon, thats for sure.

additionally, people that confuse them with the ugly *** boxter/'99 c2 lamp enclosure are just not seeing them right, as while there is an obvious passing similarity, to *most* porschephiles they are quite different to even the least discerning view.

that said, there isn't much worse looking than an old '99 carrera with sun faded/yellowed headlamp lenses. blech.

They all look like Beetles, except ours.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:18 PM
Drmiller
Track Day

The problem with the interior is the center console and controls. It's the cheap 90's plastic. The rest of my interior I love, but mine is a full black leather interior with yellow deviated stitching. I think the aforementioned items are the only parts of the interior not covered in leather, sans the carpeted areas. Well that and the factory CF shifter and parking brake.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Originally Posted by Drmiller
The problem with the interior is the center console and controls. It's the cheap 90's plastic. The rest of my interior I love, but mine is a full black leather interior with yellow deviated stitching. I think the aforementioned items are the only parts of the interior not covered in leather, sans the carpeted areas. Well that and the factory CF shifter and parking brake.
yep, I have the full leather dash which helps a lot. I hate the control switches especially the cruise control, they feel like they are going to snap off. Also the piano black buttons look low rent.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 PM
José Ferreira
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
yep, I have the full leather dash which helps a lot. I hate the control switches especially the cruise control, they feel like they are going to snap off. Also the piano black buttons look low rent.
But they have 15 years old and didnt snap. That's quality.
Sorry but I love the car....
Old 06-07-2016, 05:14 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the interior in mine was fantastic= and still do!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:51 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

When I get in mine I want to drive, hear, and feel it.
I've made it a little edgier and like it that way.
Lack of interior BS/extras is good in my book, keeps me focused on driving and allows me to detach from stuff like this computer.

I'd consider a new P car if I could get/pay for only what I want. Sport seats with cooling, a basic stereo with an I-pod/USB port, and the bad *** engine/suspension package. Keep your TV screen, voice control, parking beepers, and the 32 additional CANbus BS that weighs the car down with comforts originally designed for your Caddy and couch.

A 991 turbo for 2/3 the $ missing the unnecessary comforts that make it a great GT would be nice. Especially if they made enough that it takes a little depreciation hit too.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Barking Mad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I thought the interior in mine was fantastic= and still do!
Me too, as it left the factory

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 turbo investment?