Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead shocks absorbers, how does it feel ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Nico911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dead shocks absorbers, how does it feel ???

Hi guys.

My 2001 TT rides very roughly over bump and I don't feel the shocks absorbers are doing much anymore, plus I have a very annoying suspension noise at the front every time I hit an imperfection on the road.

The suspension is still the stock one, so it's 15 years old, so I would like to change it on four corners. I just want to make sure it's really dead... How can I be sure it is before a spend big bucks at it ? How does it sound and feel ?

Nico
Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

If shocks/struts are bad the car will feel bouncy and the tires, especially the fronts, will have uneven or jagged wear along the outer portion of the tread.

As for the suspension noise, check all the drop links and sway bar mounts carefully. If those are all tight and solid the noise is probably from worn top plates on the front struts. It is a common issue. When those go bad you hear a creaking that is difficult to locate.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 PM
dlmack111
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

996 Turbo by nature is just a very stiff ride. I thought the same thing as you, struts had to be going bad, but the car will actually ride soft and bouncy when the struts go. I replaced my original struts with adjustable coil-overs (against everyone telling me it would be a stiffer ride-there was just no way it could!). Anyway, new coil-overs, very soft setting is great for street driving. When I go to the track, I just turn the ***** to stiffen them up, and it's perfect for the track.

Just a note, when I stiffen up the coil-overs, they do ride rough like the "original" struts on the car.....track day was perfect suspension wise. I went with BC Racing coil-overs. I like them, not too expensive, and fully adjustable.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Nico911
Hi guys.

My 2001 TT rides very roughly over bump and I don't feel the shocks absorbers are doing much anymore, plus I have a very annoying suspension noise at the front every time I hit an imperfection on the road.

The suspension is still the stock one, so it's 15 years old, so I would like to change it on four corners. I just want to make sure it's really dead... How can I be sure it is before a spend big bucks at it ? How does it sound and feel ?

Nico
Rough riding is not a shock issue. It is how softly sprung (or not) the car is coupled with the tires cross section.

For shocks often times if a shock is bad it is leaking. Thus if you have a leaking shock that shock is bad and I would replace at least the leaking shock and the shock on the other side.

Another way to tell, though this requires some work, is to have someone follow/film the car as it goes down the road. A bumpy road is best. A corner with a bad shock will have the tire/wheel bouncing up and down like crazy.

I have spotted a car with a bad shock simply be noticing -- it really stands out -- the constant up and down motion of the wheel/tire as the shock of course is no longer able to dampen the spring.

After awhile this constant up and down motion will cause the tire to wear odd, develop cupping.

Another sign is if the car porpoises after encountering a dip in the road. I've see this too where a car's front or rear end goes up and down like the car is encountering a wave. So much like a wave motion that I get get a touch of sea sickness just watching this.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by dlmack111
996 Turbo by nature is just a very stiff ride. I thought the same thing as you, struts had to be going bad, but the car will actually ride soft and bouncy when the struts go. I replaced my original struts with adjustable coil-overs (against everyone telling me it would be a stiffer ride-there was just no way it could!). Anyway, new coil-overs, very soft setting is great for street driving. When I go to the track, I just turn the ***** to stiffen them up, and it's perfect for the track.

Just a note, when I stiffen up the coil-overs, they do ride rough like the "original" struts on the car.....track day was perfect suspension wise. I went with BC Racing coil-overs. I like them, not too expensive, and fully adjustable.
Which model BC coilovers are you using?

Quick Reply: Dead shocks absorbers, how does it feel ???