Sponsored by:

Project Pineapple Express - Build Update V.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:29 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Project Pineapple Express - Build Update V.3

I'm excited to say that the next revision to my car is finally underway at AIM Performance NJ (www.facebook.com/AIMPerformanceNJ)

Here is a quick recap of what has been done to date:

Starting Point:
  • Purchased December 2013
  • 2002 996 Turbo w/ X50 package
  • Eurodyne Tune
  • 5 Bar FPR
  • H&R Springs
  • 997SSK

V1:
  • Completed February 2014
  • Custom Exhaust, Tune Refresh

V2:
  • Completed February 2015
  • K24/20 Turbos w/ Clipped Wheels
  • Custom headers w/ PTE 46mm external wastegates
  • ProEFI 128 w/ FlexFuel Kit
  • Custom Y-Pipe w/ dual BOV
  • Walbro 460, Bosch 044, 1400cc inj, upgraded fuel rails
  • Updated X-Pipe Exhaust (added mufflers, new tips, and plumbed the wastegate dumps into the system)
  • IPD Plenum
  • 997.1TT Intake manifold
  • Pinned coolant pipes
  • ERP Twin Disk Carbon clutch
  • GT2 Slave conversion
  • Forge boost hoses
  • AWE Intercoolers
  • RWD Conversion

V2.1:
  • Completed April 2016
  • 997TT Rotors
  • Hawk HPS Pads
  • Torque Solutions Engine Mounts
  • Torque Solutions Transmission Mounts

E85 High Boost Map

PLANS FOR V3
  • Build began May 2016, Est. Completion June 2016
  • Transmission build (GT2RS gears, strengthened components)
  • WaveTrac Differential
  • Engine build (rods, bolts, gaskets, rod bearings, head refresh, head porting, 997 lifters, valve job)
  • Welded coolant lines
  • Custom tuning by TurtleTooned.com

GOALS FOR V3
A very reliable and drivable platform that I can cruise around with and take to the half-mile events when I want. First and foremost I do not want to give up the drivability of the car as I take it to work every day in the warmer months and make weekend trips frequently.

I am not upgrading the turbos just yet (unless someone wants to buy my existing set). The built motor/trans will allow me to have the peak power I have now across a wider rev/gear range, without fear of damaging the internals.

Got this from Joe at AIM Performance on Friday night

Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Looks great, sounds great.. Nice work! How do the 24/20s feel on the street?

What sort of custom exhaust?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

The K24/20s are probably the best bang for the buck upgrade I've seen in relation to turbos (assuming you're starting with a X50 car). They respond like stock K16s with almost no lag, they hit hard and can hold all the way through the rev band. We were actually presently surprised when we saw the final dyno charts.

I'm able to cruise around with them barley going into boost if I want, or downshift and get going. At WOT they are hitting my programmed boost limits around 4,000 RPM.

The exhaust is a quad resonated X-Pipe built by FabWorx. They also plumbed the external waste gates dumps to plumb right into the exhaust system.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:20 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by DSCOFF
The K24/20s are probably the best bang for the buck upgrade I've seen in relation to turbos (assuming you're starting with a X50 car). They respond like stock K16s with almost no lag, they hit hard and can hold all the way through the rev band. We were actually presently surprised when we saw the final dyno charts.

I'm able to cruise around with them barley going into boost if I want, or downshift and get going. At WOT they are hitting my programmed boost limits around 4,000 RPM.

The exhaust is a quad resonated X-Pipe built by FabWorx. They also plumbed the external waste gates dumps to plumb right into the exhaust system.

That exhaust could be hung on a wall as modern art

Unfortunately I am K16 car I do want to go the upgraded K24 route... it is going to be an uphill battle on that.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:17 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Love your build. What did you run in the 1/2 mile with the V2 setup?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:02 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

I only made 4-5 1/2 mile runs so far, all in the high 150 MPH range. The best being 160 MPH. That is on 5 gallons of E85 mixed with a 1/8 tank of 93 octane and launching the car in 2nd gear.

On the OEM transmission, 1st gear is gone in a blink of an eye. I was also experiencing issues with engaging first gear over the past year, which was compounded by me changing the transmission/engine mounts the day before the event. The transmission build and longer GT2RS gearing should help significantly, along with the stronger engine internals allowing be to ramp up the boost and experience more torque.

On 93 octane/E85 mix the car ran a best of 156MPH in a roll race, with a verified start speed of 56MPH.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:50 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Not bad at all. Wouldn't be surprised if your new setup taps on the 170mph door.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:09 AM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vogz
Not bad at all. Wouldn't be surprised if your new setup taps on the 170mph door.
Here's hoping!

Old 05-24-2016, 02:27 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

The engine gasket kit came in today

I also decided to add the full CSF Radiator cooling package to this build too
Old 06-01-2016, 03:29 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

UPDATE
  • Moar parts
  • Turbos might be sold (deal pending), so time to start considering upgrade options
  • Heads are going off to the machine shop today or tomorrow
  • Engine and trans should be completed within 3-4 weeks, then just putting it all back together and getting it tuned.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:51 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

CSF Radiators will be keeping us cool all summer long! Figured after all of this, I may as well address the 14 year old cooling system before it becomes an issue.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:58 AM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Everything is coming together and we are in the home stretch! I'm excited and nervous (in a good way) at the same time. I should see it roll off the trailer at the SlipStream Half Mile in PA this weekend.

The engine is back from Tim, the trans is full together (after a slight delay caused by waiting on a fresh r&p and custom 4th gear from Guards), the new turbos from Precision are here, CSF radiators are being put on as we speak.

Today Prodigy got me hooked up with the newly ProEFI compatible BTI Gauge as well.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:41 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VFC - very cool!
Really looking forward to reading about the results! Could you post some more detail on the trans build?

BTW, since you are talking to him - ask Tim why he stopped posting here or on 6spd... Miss his valuable input.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:29 PM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
VFC - very cool!
Really looking forward to reading about the results! Could you post some more detail on the trans build?

BTW, since you are talking to him - ask Tim why he stopped posting here or on 6spd... Miss his valuable input.
Here are the transmission details:
  • New rear main seal
  • GT3 Cup retaining plate
  • 997 GT2RS Mainshaft
  • 997 GT2RS 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear
  • Gaurds custom 4th gear
  • CMS Billet sideplate
  • New ring & pinion
  • Wave trac differential
  • Other random bits and pieces

I haven't been communicating with Tim directly, I've actually never spoken to him outside of the forums. AIM Performance knows him well and have been managing the build. To my knowledge his posting slowed down due to a very busy workload at both his day job and the Porsche stuff (he is not really a full-time Porsche builder, just very knowledgeable and very talented).
Old 08-17-2016, 01:32 AM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Quick Reply: Project Pineapple Express - Build Update V.3