Sponsored by:

Spoiler microswitch install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 08:07 PM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spoiler microswitch install?

Long story short, I need to replace the lower microswitch for my 996tt's spoiler system. Small plastic bits of the switch broke off during its removal for a rams leak/bleed with a buddy... the rams unfortunately still leaks!

Spoiler still goes up/down but I get a spoiler error message if I try to lower it (it resets by turning off/on the engine, which at that time I can lower the spoiler).

Provided I can get my hands on a microswitch (they have been hard to find!), how easy is it to install?

Do I just cut of the existing microswitch leaving a short piece of the electrical wire exposed, and then attach the new microswitch and connecting the wires together via electrical tape? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
Long story short, I need to replace the lower microswitch for my 996tt's spoiler system. Small plastic bits of the switch broke off during its removal for a rams leak/bleed with a buddy... the rams unfortunately still leaks! Spoiler still goes up/down but I get a spoiler error message if I try to lower it (it resets by turning off/on the engine, which at that time I can lower the spoiler). Provided I can get my hands on a microswitch (they have been hard to find!), how easy is it to install? Do I just cut of the existing microswitch leaving a short piece of the electrical wire exposed, and then attach the new microswitch and connecting the wires together via electrical tape? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
when you get tired of screwing around with the factory system, let me know. I can help you throw it in the garbage can. ;-)
Old 05-19-2016, 11:33 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long story short, I need to replace the lower microswitch for my 996tt's spoiler system. Small plastic bits of the switch broke off during its removal for a rams leak/bleed with a buddy... the rams unfortunately still leaks!

Spoiler still goes up/down but I get a spoiler error message if I try to lower it (it resets by turning off/on the engine, which at that time I can lower the spoiler).

Provided I can get my hands on a microswitch (they have been hard to find!), how easy is it to install?

Do I just cut of the existing microswitch leaving a short piece of the electrical wire exposed, and then attach the new microswitch and connecting the wires together via electrical tape? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
Similar thing happened to mine. Got the microswitch from Porsche and was about to install it the same way you are considering. Then I decided not to. I like her cleaner 'low drag' spoiler down look and having just fixed my rams as well, I figured I might as well stop stressing them so often. So I ziptied the cables up onto the engine lid and I just use jumper leads from her engine bay to raise the spoiler for any track/race/targa duty. As a bonus it goes up a bit further than stock that way too. You just have to be sensitive to when the spoiler reaches its limits and quick to remove the power, so as not to damage the workings. Can't remember the price I paid but I figure it was probably about 20-30x the manufacturing cost. If I had to guess, I'd say it was around $50 US. I presume Porsche still stock them, at least in Germany?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

just did a set of micro-switches a couple weeks ago, easy job.
Dealer should have no issue getting the switches, which comes with long wire leads to allow you any location to splice. Soldier in, or use connectors, heatshrink and re-wrap with electrical tape
Old 05-20-2016, 02:20 PM
docboy
Racer

Originally Posted by 993GT
just did a set of micro-switches a couple weeks ago, easy job.
Dealer should have no issue getting the switches, which comes with long wire leads to allow you any location to splice. Soldier in, or use connectors, heatshrink and re-wrap with electrical tape
Name:  20160520_101336.jpg
Views: 4397
Size:  75.6 KB

I snapped a pic of said switch. I believe it's the lower microswitch correct?

I have a very basic soldering kit I have from Radioshack. Would this kit suffice in soldering the 2 wire together?

Also, what is "heatshrink?"

Sorry, I'm a electrical newb...
Old 05-20-2016, 02:35 PM
docboy
Racer

In planning for the future, if I decide to either go for the electronic rams kit or the simple e-bay fix it route, is replacing this microswitch necessary to avoid getting a spoiler error message?
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (10-05-2022)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:07 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 248 Posts

Old 05-20-2016, 05:09 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

You need to unscrew that section the piece is stuck into and punch the old piece out, insert the new piece and soldier in the new switches...you'll need to cut back the sheathing over the existing harness
Attachment 1052926

I snapped a pic of said switch. I believe it's the lower microswitch correct?

I have a very basic soldering kit I have from Radioshack. Would this kit suffice in soldering the 2 wire together?

Also, what is "heatshrink?"

Sorry, I'm a electrical newb...
Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

if it helps, here's a snap from shop manual
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2016, 06:57 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In planning for the future, if I decide to either go for the electronic rams kit or the simple e-bay fix it route, is replacing this microswitch necessary to avoid getting a spoiler error message?
For the eRam kit, no. There is a Micro-Module that comes with the kit to eliminate the spoiler warning. Guys with fixed wing kits use it as well, some buy the GT2 / Aero wiring loom and rewire the lid - overkill.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:04 PM
docboy
Racer

Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by 993GT
if it helps, here's a snap from shop manual
Thanks, yes, very helpful.

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
For the eRam kit, no. There is a Micro-Module that comes with the kit to eliminate the spoiler warning. Guys with fixed wing kits use it as well, some buy the GT2 / Aero wiring loom and rewire the lid - overkill.
Good to know.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:59 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

What is he eBay fix route?
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by soon2be993TT
What is the eBay fix route?
It's just a hardware kit to lift the spoiler and keep it fixed in one spot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996-...lPpB7g&vxp=mtr
Old 10-04-2022, 09:41 AM
Cano8248
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a porsche Targa 996 2002 and i found 3 ¿Wehre i can buy?
there is one with 3 lines

Old 10-04-2022, 09:42 AM
Cano8248
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry i Talk about Spoiler

Quick Reply: Spoiler microswitch install?