Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how did you arrive at your 996tt/gt2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 01:14 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts
Default how did you arrive at your 996tt/gt2?

i'm currently in the market for a 996tt and i became curious how most people arrive at their 996tt. i'm guessing most have a porsche history, but it could have been the reason someone made the move to porsche. i thought it would be cool to see everyone's previous 3 purchases and to see the process.

i'm currently considering just a handful of cars - along with the tt. the range is on the wide side and the upper end would obviously cost more than the lower. i'm looking at the 348, 355, and 360 and the 996tt and the gt2. to keep things short, the tt is the potential front-runner from the practicality and ease of use perspective. the gt2 is what the irrational me wants.

how i got here - last 3 purchases:
'92 500E
'87 Carrera
'86 951
Old 05-14-2016, 01:21 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I needed a more practical car than my previous 2002 NSX: something that could haul kids to and from arenas but still satisfy my need for a cool and super fun car. I didn't want to spend any additional cash and I viewed the 996TT as a superior car in every way, much better "value" and a solution to my kid hauling issues.

And it's been awesome for the last 6years
Old 05-14-2016, 01:48 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

been a 911 freak since my friend and mentor ordered one of the first 911S ever shipped to the us in 67. grew up driving them, got my first one when i was about 22, though i had possession first pre-911's of my own of a 914/6 which was incredible until it caught fire at a stoplight. ( fuel as i recall ).

i've owned some pre-owned, had a couple new from the showroom, and when shopping for my one "fun" car a few years back, i decided to opt for a pre-owned turbo rather than new so someone else would take the hit on the depreciation, and i've wanted a turbo 911 since they began making them. currently happily still in my 2nd 996 turbo, and will probably end up with the last mezger 911 turbo one day, but with all i've done to this one, i'd need a modded 997.1 turbo to start to even consider ridding myself of this adrenaline machine.

there is no substitute.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:59 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Dream car since I was a kid...had a '80 SC Cab...then on to a '78 930...so when the '04 TT Cab came out I got rid of both my others for it. I have a Benz and two Lexi...as well.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

911 was always "the" car for me. Looks, performance, imo the 911 is the best looking car on the road.

First Porsche, and after exhaustive research on the 911 the turbo seemed to be best in terms of reliability and sheer performance. The idea of having a high end European car with little or no Indy shops around was something I considered to be a deal breaker, but the generally easy diy and the MEZGER engine makes it easier to justify.

Basically I had a wad of hard earned cash sitting in the bank that was burning a hole in my pocket. I had enough to purchase a 997 series turbo, but wife wanted granite countertops, plantation shutters, clothes yada yada yada. After almost two years of ownership apart from gas $, I have put about $700 bucks into the car.

New throttle body (installed myself)
New ignition switch (installed myself)
Oil changes (myself)

I don't DD mine and I keep the mileage less than 5k a year. If you are on the fence get off already these cars a joy. I literally feel the same excitement/enjoyment that I did the day I drove it home.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:02 PM
imlumpy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can help you here. I just sold my 94 348 spider to make the move back to a Porsche. I buy a car to actually drive it. I bought a 34 because I thought it would never appreciate in value and I would just drive it into the ground . Then I watched its value double in a year so I stopped driving it , eventually sold it and bought a 2001 996tt. I LOVE MY 996 !!!!. last year I put 400 miles on the 348 , in the last 5 months I've already put 3500 miles on the 996 and I have loved every one of them. I cant advise on the 360 , other than its ugly and slow, but 348/355 , the 348 would be the better choice , avoid the 355 , its a mechanical nightmare , avoid anything that says F1. even the 348 can be very expensive and delicate,can you enjoy driving a car knowing that a wearable item such as a wheel bearing will set you back $2500.00 and there is no substitute or aftermarket source. ( I'm a mechanic , so that is not some Beverly hills dealer inflated quote , that's what the damn thing really costs). any questions about the 348 / 355 , just ask me , I will give you an honest evaluation , I've owned and fixed em .
Old 05-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

$2500 wheel bearing....holy shiat.

Curious what did an oil change set you back?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:19 PM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '07 Boxster S as my daily driver and I needed a car with a back seat to transport my 5 year old granddaughter.
Looked at the M5, but my personal experience of the newer BMW's has not been good. Not a fan of the V8 gen M3's. Fast cars, but only if you thrash them mercilessly - no torque below 5k. Drove a few Audi's "S" cars. S4/S6/S7 and they all left me feeling very "Meh!". Thought about a Jaguar XFR, but decided I needed something reliable that doesn't contain any Lucas electronics... Looked at a few C63 AMG's but they ride like a buckboard and my wife already has a C350 - can't have 2 of ostensibly the same car.
Seriously considered a C4S and was almost ready to pull the trigger. The shop selling it sent it out to a Porsche indy to get a few little issues sorted out and the tech that worked on it bought it there and then!

I have driven students Turbo's at DE events and found the power and handling to be intoxicating, so a Turbo it had to be. My budget allowed for a higher mileage 997 or a cherry lower mileage 996. I prefer the look of the Aerokit 996 over either the 997 or 996 with the hydraulic spoiler. So the search was on.
It took me ~8 months scouring the interwebs until I found "my" car - an 02 Turbo black on black with factory aerokit and an FVD tune.
That was 2 years ago. Just yesterday both my wife and I were commenting on how this almost 15 year old car looks almost new!
Not once have I had second thoughts about buying the Turbo over any of the other vehicles I considered!
Old 05-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a new C4S in 01. Exchanged it for a wife and mortgage in 03.

Have a modded little British car to scratch the toy car itch, but the hankering after another porker never went away.

Recently was able to consider a replacement for it. Wanted a TT after being left for dead by one one night in the Bruckner. Plus since the LBC is modded a regular one would be way too slow.

Had to be green, prefer the looks of the 996 to the 997, which puts me in the minority methinks.
After 7 months of looking found one, bought it and here I am on a beautiful Saturday with both cars in the shop...
Old 05-14-2016, 09:22 PM
imlumpy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Atrox
$2500 wheel bearing....holy shiat.

Curious what did an oil change set you back?
$200 ish

That bearing is a hub with no alternatives ,some have tried to find a way to machine the hub and insert an acceptable bearing but I have never heard of any success.it was a nice car but stuff like that just took the fun out of driving it
Old 05-14-2016, 09:27 PM
imlumpy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan A
Had a new C4S in 01. Exchanged it for a wife and mortgage in 03.

Have a modded little British car to scratch the toy car itch, but the hankering after another porker never went away.

Recently was able to consider a replacement for it. Wanted a TT after being left for dead by one one night in the Bruckner. Plus since the LBC is modded a regular one would be way too slow.

Had to be green, prefer the looks of the 996 to the 997, which puts me in the minority methinks.
After 7 months of looking found one, bought it and here I am on a beautiful Saturday with both cars in the shop...
I don't think you are in the minority here.I prefer the 996 also, and I think the car is starting to be appreciated. I actually like the most disliked aspect ,the headlights , the old and new ,round , just dont do it for me.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

This is a 996 forum.
Toddle over to an air cooled safe space and see what the consensus is.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:04 AM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 2000 Boxster with 96k miles, ran perfect, no issues. Then had a kid and needed a family car. Sold the Boxster and got a 04 Turbo convertible. My kid, now 5, loves the car especially w/ the top down.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:18 AM
tdrimer
Racer

Started with a boxster then 2 356 speedsters (both replica from Vintage), then another boxster then a 996 Cab and a 951 s. Having the 951 and 996 at same time was interesting because i always wanted the turbo from the 951 in the 996! So, sold them both and just got my 996 turbo
Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Am a BMW fan through and through, but with my e36 m3 transitioning to a track car, needed another car that I could drive on the streets. Nothing newish in the BMW lineup really got my heart racing, and I grew up lusting over a TT. Could not believe how affordable they had become, and KNEW they were going to appreciate, so I jumped at it. There was nothing in the supercar market that had the pedigree, looks, and reliability of the Turbo. I bought having never driven a Porsche of ANY type.

They are a 180 in terms of driving dynamics from what I am used to, but the thrust and looks are show stoppers. I feel like it checks soooo many boxes, but wish I would have driven a 6GT3 prior to purchase just to make sure I made the right decision. LOVE this car, but occasionally find myself watching GT3 prices. Anyone else drive one and can compare?

If I could have afforded a GT2, it would be in my garage. The weight reduction and suspension alone would have kept me smiling for the next couple of decades.....

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i'm currently in the market for a 996tt and i became curious how most people arrive at their 996tt. i'm guessing most have a porsche history, but it could have been the reason someone made the move to porsche. i thought it would be cool to see everyone's previous 3 purchases and to see the process.

i'm currently considering just a handful of cars - along with the tt. the range is on the wide side and the upper end would obviously cost more than the lower. i'm looking at the 348, 355, and 360 and the 996tt and the gt2. to keep things short, the tt is the potential front-runner from the practicality and ease of use perspective. the gt2 is what the irrational me wants.

how i got here - last 3 purchases:
'92 500E
'87 Carrera
'86 951

Quick Reply: how did you arrive at your 996tt/gt2?