Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Best shifter upgrade value for the 996 Turbo

The SHIFT-RIGHT Solution is back in stock!

Combine with the a Trans Mount Insert and a Classic Shift **** for ultimate shifter feel and precision.

We also just rolled out the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution CORE EXCHANGE program for the OEM 986/996/987/997 shifters! Please click here for full details.

Feel free to reach out with any questions. Thanks, Rennlist!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 06-16-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
splitime
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up, but your website appears to be having issues, not sure if its just me but it won't load in either IE or Chrome.

edit: Website back to normal for me

Last edited by splitime; 05-13-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you for the heads up! A website that won't load is useless...

I use Firefox and safari on my iPhone and it's loading. Perhaps try clearing cookies or check back again shortly.

Thanks again, hopefully that's resolved soon.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:49 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love mine! Bunch of miles since installed, still tight and clean as ever.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:06 PM
roncooper
Instructor

How's does the extensions feel? Naturally not changing the fulcrum leads to a longer throw. I have the SSK in my car now I am after a little closer relation for the shift **** and steering wheel. Does your shift upgrade perform just as The other aftermarket shifter kits?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you're looking to raise your shifter, you can check out the CONSOLE RISER KIT or an Extended height CLASSIC SHIFT ****.

As for the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution...since posting this, I've been getting a lot of questions via PM and email about the kit - what it does, how it does it, how good it is etc. So I've compiled a little FAQ to help answer those questions...

Q: Is this the best shifter upgrade value for my Porsche?
A: YES! No other shifter upgrade on the market matches the performance and durability of the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution for under $300. You will completely transform your shifter’s feel and accuracy, resulting in fewer missed shifts, smoother and more direct operation, and zero flex or play from the shifter.

Q: Is the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution a short shift kit?
A: No, the kit utilizes your original shift lever, so the shift throw remains unchanged.

Q: I like the kit, but I’m a little intimidated about installing it myself. What can you do for me?
A: We just rolled out a core-exchange program for 986/996 and 987/997 standard throw shifters! For an additional fee, you’ll receive an OEM shifter with the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution pre-installed that makes install plug and play – just send back your original shifter within 2 weeks of receipt to receive your core deposit refund. And best of all, a return shipping label is included to make the process that much easier! (USA customers only)

Q: What have other owners been saying about the SHIFT-RIGHT Solution?
A: Here are some owner reviews, in their own words…

CS-ICEMAN:
I took mine to COTA a couple weekends ago. Worked wonders. No trouble finding the gears. Yes, downshifting to 2nd was easy. No longer a concern about a misshift. I did not have to think about shifting. My hands were moving faster than my feet. I was shifting as fast as I could press the clutch.

intubator:
I have to say it made a significant difference in positive gear selection and smoothness in shifting between gears over what I had. In fact, I didn't realize the degree of drag I had become used to until I installed this kit with the roller bearings. The F1st bearing yoke is much better than the cheap plastic factory part and adds significantly to the smoothness and accuracy in the left/right gear selection movements, looks better too... I don't have the console on my car so everything is visible along the tunnel. I have been very happy with this upgrade and have done several track days with a greater degree of confidence while shifting between gears. I couldn't be happier.

husker boxster:
I'm happy to report the 5-4-3-2 downshift for T12 at COTA went very well. Has happy with the solid feel and lack of sloppiness.

BillZ260:
Highly recommend, whether you have a stock shifter or a short shift kit, it removed all the slop in the pivots and transfer mechanisms. I think it actually helps the 2-3 shift smoothness as well where it used to hang up if you tried to force it too quickly before, maybe since there is ZERO play now, it's just straight shooting. Very satisfied.

eracer:
Just vouching for the product. I installed the Function First "Shift-Right Solution" Ball bearing kit in my 996T and was impressed with the product. It was installed in conjunction with the factory short shifter replacing the plastic bearings. The 'play'/'slop' in the shifter was reduced drastically and the shifting feels more tactile and precise. No more accidental shifting into the other gears. I'd definitely recommend this product to upgrade the driving experience. (Porsche should have designed it this way to begin with.)

Last edited by Function-First; 06-16-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:09 PM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roncooper
How's does the extensions feel? Naturally not changing the fulcrum leads to a longer throw. I have the SSK in my car now I am after a little closer relation for the shift **** and steering wheel. Does your shift upgrade perform just as The other aftermarket shifter kits?
Ron, my car had a SSK as well, FF's kit replaces all the linkage points and levers with metal and bearings, instead of plastic and simple pivots. And it will work with your SSK.

I tried this kit it with my stock shifter first, but while is was smooth as butter, I was spoiled by the SSK. So then re-installed the SSK and it's wonderful.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are some before and after comparisons of the shifter mechanism, pre and post SHIFT-RIGHT Solution installation!

(Note that the BEFORE video is the stock shifter out of a 2001 986 Boxster S, and the AFTER videos are of a SHIFT-RIGHT retrofit kit upgraded factory 987/997 short shift kit. It's still an apples-to-apples comparison, since both units utilize the same bushings from the factory.)

BEFORE...
Excessive shifter play and slop, particularly in the fore/aft bushings.

AFTER...
Zero flex and zero play in the mechanism yields smooth, solid, predictable, and consistent shifter action.

Last edited by Function-First; 06-16-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey all, just a heads up that the 996 cores are back in stock, already retrofitted with the SHIFT-RIGHT and ready to ship!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 AM
timbo300
Track Day

Talking

Rifle Bolt Shifts is all that needs to be said

Quick Reply: Best shifter upgrade value for the 996 Turbo