Sponsored by:

Hello From Montana

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff_DML
Mine has a lot of road noise so seems like a standard option. I was kind of surprised too since the turbo is Porsche's luxury/GT 911. Also rides rougher then I expected but you can argue it is still sports car.
That's interesting. I wasn't looking for a whisper quiet GT car, so if that's the norm, then fine with me. As with any new (to me) car, it's about finding out which noises or normal, and which ones need to ferreted out.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:51 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats! Now drive it and have fun!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like mine used to look like. Enjoy! Drive it like you hate it!!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Hmm, thought I already replied to this thread. I know I read through it once before. Guess old age is catching up with me . . .
Welcome Rustler! Great looking car and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Originally Posted by KC-CarGuy
Congrats! Now drive it and have fun!
Originally Posted by ReidN
Looks like mine used to look like. Enjoy! Drive it like you hate it!!
Originally Posted by kcattorney
Hmm, thought I already replied to this thread. I know I read through it once before. Guess old age is catching up with me . . .
Welcome Rustler! Great looking car and I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
Thanks guys, been doing lots of talking AND driving, but I like both those things. My wife, however, is tired of the talking part. Good thing there are forums.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
I think you misread or misunderstood my post. What I intended to say was driving at high altitude is similar to driving in a hot weather climate. Lower volumes of air per piston stroke equals less power. Pv equals NRT.
Driving in hot weather is not like, at least not near enough like, driving at high altitude.

I've driven my Boxster in 116F temps and and my Turbo in 118/119F temps and the engines were still pretty responsive. (The Turbo got up to 165mph in this heat and got up there in no time.) I've never experienced with any of my cars any real drop off in performance in hot weather compared to what I have experienced with the cars at higher elevations.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

No offense, but if you don't see any performance benefit driving in cool, humid weather, than the ol button dyno needs calibrated. This can be a 30hp or more reduction in power comparing 40 degrees versus 100 degrees as the engine has to pull timing to compensate for potential predetonation and the oxygen levels are greatly reduced.

Not wanting to argue as I believe we are both saying the same thing in 2 different ways, but Pv equals NRT. The higher the temperature, the lower volumes of air available for combustion, thus the less power you will make. Same at high altitude.

Originally Posted by Macster
Driving in hot weather is not like, at least not near enough like, driving at high altitude.

I've driven my Boxster in 116F temps and and my Turbo in 118/119F temps and the engines were still pretty responsive. (The Turbo got up to 165mph in this heat and got up there in no time.) I've never experienced with any of my cars any real drop off in performance in hot weather compared to what I have experienced with the cars at higher elevations.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
No offense, but if you don't see any performance benefit driving in cool, humid weather, than the ol button dyno needs calibrated. This can be a 30hp or more reduction in power comparing 40 degrees versus 100 degrees as the engine has to pull timing to compensate for potential predetonation and the oxygen levels are greatly reduced.

Not wanting to argue as I believe we are both saying the same thing in 2 different ways, but Pv equals NRT. The higher the temperature, the lower volumes of air available for combustion, thus the less power you will make. Same at high altitude.
Sorry, but it is cool *dry* weather. High humidity hurts engine performance.

In both of my cars (and in previous cars) I detect some change for the better in cool (but not too cold) and dry weather, but nothing like I experience coming from say Flagstaff down to near sea level.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Last word. OK, now your turn.

Originally Posted by Macster
Sorry, but it is cool *dry* weather. High humidity hurts engine performance.

In both of my cars (and in previous cars) I detect some change for the better in cool (but not too cold) and dry weather, but nothing like I experience coming from say Flagstaff down to near sea level.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:19 PM
EstorilM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a deposit on that car (check my joining the club thread), and ended up going with a different one. Congrats!!! It looked like a great car!

Last edited by EstorilM; 05-23-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 PM
motts
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Congratulations enjoy.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Originally Posted by EstorilM
I had a deposit on that car (check my joining the club thread), and ended up going with a different one. Congrats!!! It looked like a great car!
That makes sense, when I originally called about the car I was told there had been a deposit on it, if I recall correctly you had removed the deposit earlier that day.

If you read my first post you saw that Porsche Bellevue (fka Barrier) did a fair bit of maintenance to it, and all in all they were pleasant to deal with. The bumperettes were a tough call for me, I really don't like them, but in the end I figured a quality car, with good service history and the right color/options (for me) was worth overlooking those little warts. A new front bumper cover will be a nice refresh to look forward to down the road.

That slate grey is a beautiful color, enjoy it! (I'm thinking of a slate grey air cooled 911 formerly owned by Steve McQueen being sold on one of the televised auctions, more of a milky grey than the mettallic, but what a car!)
Old 05-24-2016, 12:52 PM
EstorilM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rustler
Yep that must have been me. Congrats again on the car. I had heard they were doing quite a bit of maintenance on it, which made it even more desirable to me. The bumperettes weren't my favorite either, but I've heard you can take those off with a little bit of work.

Hope you are enjoying it as much as I have been mine!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Rustler
Instructor

A few pics from an evening drive last night. Pics are taken at Hyalite Reservoir, 9 miles and 1,500 vertical feet up a canyon of twists and bends on smooth tarmac. It just opened after being closed through the spring thaw (when the road is closed to cars it's a road biking heaven, two laps and your legs are screaming). The pics are a bit dark and taken with an older Samsung phone that just doesn't have a great camera, but thought I'd share anyway:
Attached Images     
Old 05-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Jeff_DML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the brake dust?

looks good, not much snow left

Quick Reply: Hello From Montana